What are you reading right now?

Comments

• (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited March 2011
    I recently just learned that Fight Club was based on a book by Chuck Palahnuik, so I decided to read his other works. Right now I'm reading Survivor.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited March 2011
    robin hobb, soldier son series. Goood shit
  • edited April 2011
    Osirius wrote: »
    The Ethical Slut

What's THAT about?:eek:

I'm currently reading "The Death of the Liberal Class", "Confessions of an English Opium Eater", "The Portable Atheist", "The Case of the Pope", and "On Writing"

I really don't feel like listing the authors.... So I won't
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane.

Three chapters into Trainspotting by Irving Welsh.
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited April 2011
    Metamorphosis
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited April 2011
    21 irrefutable laws of leadership.

If you want to be a leader in anything, you must read this book.
  • TadacantTadacant New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Tadacant wrote: »
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I got the Audio book, can't listen to it because I get boner every time I try. FML
  • edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    I got the Audio book, can't listen to it because I get boner every time I try. FML

Isn't it about some Pedo and a girl in a school play or something? I've never read it and am a lil sketchy on the details.
  • edited April 2011
    Twilight: New Moon
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited April 2011
    Race, Evolution and Behaviour by John Philippe Rushton 3rd abridged edition. Read it a ton of times before and helped shape a lot of my view in regards to race, genetics. anthropology and psychology in general. It's good to refresh on it and be "born again."

Here's the second edition which can be read for free:
    http://charlesdarwinresearch.org/Race_Evolution_Behavior.pdf

I've recently ordered Richard Lynn's The Global Bell Curve as well. I should be getting that soon and I'll be sure to share some excerpts from it.
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited April 2011
    Apathy and other small victories-good book.
  • edited April 2011
    Average wrote: »
    Apathy and other small victories-good book.

wat's it about?
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited April 2011
    The only thing Shane cares about is leaving. Usually on a Greyhound bus, right before his life falls apart again. Just like he planned. But this time it's complicated: there's a sadistic corporate climber who thinks she's his girlfriend, a rent-subsidized affair with his landlord's wife, and the bizarrely appealing deaf assistant to Shane's cosmically unstable dentist. When one of the women is murdered, and Shane is the only suspect who doesn't care enough to act like he didn't do it, the question becomes just how he'll clear the good name he never had and doesn't particularly want: his own.
  • edited April 2011
    The only thing Shane cares about is leaving. Usually on a Greyhound bus, right before his life falls apart again. Just like he planned. But this time it's complicated: there's a sadistic corporate climber who thinks she's his girlfriend, a rent-subsidized affair with his landlord's wife, and the bizarrely appealing deaf assistant to Shane's cosmically unstable dentist. When one of the women is murdered, and Shane is the only suspect who doesn't care enough to act like he didn't do it, the question becomes just how he'll clear the good name he never had and doesn't particularly want: his own.
    interesting... might be worth a look next time i look for a book
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited April 2011
    ^Ya pretty good read. It's not too long, but it's pretty interesting.
  • edited April 2011
    ^Ya pretty good read. It's not too long, but it's pretty interesting.

Ah well a lot of times the short ones are better for it... With some exceptions. Srs, Ulysses cudv'e been written on like three pages single-spaced if it weren't for all the minutia :P
  • youngbipyoungbip Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    I'm reading the house of night novels, pretty interesting series i'm on book 6 of 7
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited April 2011
    Roald Dahl's collected short stories. My favorites currently are: William and Mary, Lamb to the Slaughter, and The Sound Machine.

I recently bought his entire collection, including the short stories. I must say, they are all rather good, especially taking into consideration that he is widely seen as a 'children's' writer.

At the moment I'm reading all of Tom Clancy's work. It's been a while since a book could give me an andrenaline rush, but Clancy writes extremely well. My girlfriend is also trying to get me to read Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, but are they really worth it?
    edited May 2011
    The Global Bell Curve, by Richard Lynn.

I recieved it today in the post. So far so good, as I'd expected, it has some good brief points of history in the book too. This is exactly what the politically correct minded need to read. Infact, all of Richard Lynn's work should be looked at, as should J. P. Rushton's and Arthur Jensen's (particularly The g Factor: The Science of Mental Ability (Human Evolution, Behavior, and Intelligence). It debunks any of Stephen Jay Gould's politically motivated, dishonest, pseudo-scientific tripe.
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm reading The Art of War for the ten millionth time :hai:
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    the Negotiator I liked deception point alot more than his other books, it also looks to be being made into a movie.

Im currently reading Anarchy Evolution, written by Greg Graffin. Frontman of my favourite bad Bad Religion its a mix of autobiography and his views on life, science and the lack of god.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    Just picked up the first two books of the rain wild chronicles by Robin Hobb. Shall begin tonight but I already know they will be good
    edited May 2011
    Isn't it about some Pedo and a girl in a school play or something? I've never read it and am a lil sketchy on the details.

lol yeah pretty much, he pedo inherits little girl, travels all over the states with her doing dirty things :fap:
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited May 2011
    Tell-All-Chuck Palahniuk

Pretty boring read, worst book I've read by him so far. I kinda want my money back.
    edited May 2011
    Tell-All-Chuck Palahniuk

Pretty boring read, worst book I've read by him so far. I kinda want my money back.

Love Fight Club, the movie. Looking to pick up some other books by him, what do you suggest then?
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited May 2011
    I really liked the short stories in Haunted, also Choke, and Snuff wasn't terrible but a little over the top. Survivor probably had the most well rounded plot line. As far as his non-fiction stories Fugitives and Refugees was pretty much a travel guide of Portland, Oregon, pretty boring. But Stranger than Fiction was pretty good and had interesting topics, some of its pretty bizarre like most of his stuff.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    Ulysses (still).

The next book I have my eyes on is The Glass bead Game by Hesse.
  • jaconjacon Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Fight Club, the actual book. And believe me, it is even better than the movie.
  • SemSem Regular
    edited May 2011
    Just finished Count Zero by William Gibson as well as Neuromancer before that. Can't wait to get to the book store to pick up the last of his Sprawl trilogy :)
    edited May 2011
    Dysgenics: Genetic Deterioration in Modern Populations; Richard Lynn.

I've found a copy online.
    00179de5_medium.jpeg
    In the mid-19th century a number of biological and social scientists came to believe that the genetic quality of the populations of the Western world was deteriorating due to the relaxation of natural selection, the process by which nature eliminates the unfit in each generation by reducing their fertility and by early death. Francis Galton, Darwin's young cousin, argued for consciously designed selection through which human societies would control and improve their own genetic quality. For this consciously designed selection, Galton in 1883 proposed the term eugenics. Almost a century later, William Schockley proposed the term dysgenics for the genetic deterioration that eugenics was designed to correct. Although the view that the populations of Western nations were deteriorating genetically and that steps needed to be taken to correct this came to be widely accepted in the first half of the 20th century, by the time Schockley wrote, a reaction had set in and eugenics was almost universally dismissed. In this book, Richard Lynn reviews the history of the eugenics movement and argues that, in repudiating eugenics, an important truth has been lost. By showing weaknesses in the arguments against the theory, he seeks to rehabilitate the argument that genetic deterioration is occurring in western populations and in most of the developing world. A controversial book, it should stimulate debate not only among biologists, psychologists, educators and those involved in setting social policy, but among all readers concerned with contemporary social issues.
    http://uploading.com/files/get/c9921128

Richard Lynn is awesome, it's a shame he's slandered so much by his opponents, although it's not surprising, because he's politically incorrect. He always manages to refute those who discredit him. He is way ahead of all of his critics and much more knowledgeable. He's often already refuted them, they're just ignorant of it and haven't read all of his work and presented evidence thoroughly and misinterpret his findings.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited May 2011
    The Glass Bead Game - Hermann Hesse

Rather slow moving but I've found it engaging enough. Great concept and I'm sure most could learn a thing or two from this book.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Inequality by Design: Cracking the Bell Curve Myth by Claude Fischer. Exposing Murray's shit page by page.
  • SemSem Regular
    edited May 2011
    City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer.

Rather interesting book set in a well thought out chaotic domain of the city known as Ambergris. His writing style reminds me of Lovecraft although the author finds a nice balance between immersive description and moving the plot along which makes it a bit easier of a read than most of Lovecraft's works.

So far the book deals both with the history of the world as well as madness on both a personal level concerning the characters as well as the general chaotic nature of the city's denizens.

Either way, a good fantasy book so far :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Stephen King, Dark Tower Book 3.
  • supperrfreeksupperrfreek Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    Stephen King, Dark Tower Book 3.
    SK Dark Tower books are awesome. :thumbsup:

This thread
  • edited June 2011
    Started reading Wikileaks by David Leigh and Luke Harding
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited June 2011
    Women-Charles Bukowski
  • qweryuiopqweryuiop Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    I'm currently reading Dragons of Winter night and then I will be moving on to a David Gemmell book he is a fucking amazing writer.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited June 2011
    Crime and Punishment
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    The Night Stalker: The Life and Crimes Of Richard Ramirez
    by Philip Carlo

:thumbsup:
  • GorGorGorGor Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    kaloosa wrote: »
    I was reading Pride & Prejudice and Zombies.....really fucking boring in my opinion. I had to put it to the side for later reading when I can put more time into it.

Now I'm starting Requiem for a Dream.

I read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter which I believe is by the same person, that is a good book and not boring, you should check it out!
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    Tell me no lies-John Pilger.

It's like a readers digest of bitch'n journalism.
    Fuck you,readers digest.:mad:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    4 books actually.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Listened to the Audio Book, found the book few days ago and decided to buy it, don't worry it's still pirated any way)
    Dark Tower Epic by Stephen King (Audio Book)
    Robert Fass Audio - Wicca a Guide of for the Solitary Practioner (Audio Book)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick (Audio Book)
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011

It's incredibly well written.

Imagine "On The Road" with about 96% more kiddy fiddling.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited July 2011
    The Selected Works of Joseph Conrad. I'm starting out with a few short stories and then deciding from there whether I want to read Lord Jim and some of the other longer works.
  • HarlequinHarlequin New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    4 books actually.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Listened to the Audio Book, found the book few days ago and decided to buy it, don't worry it's still pirated any way)
    Dark Tower Epic by Stephen King (Audio Book)
    Robert Fass Audio - Wicca a Guide of for the Solitary Practioner (Audio Book)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick (Audio Book)

Good man, the Dexter books are brilliant, and the stories far exceed those portrayed in the later series of the TV show imo.

Footrot Flats Weekender - Murray Ball
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2011
    Reading Sherlock Holmes now. That shit is good.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy