Need a video card

spinkyspinky Acolyte
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
I need a new video card, that's easy to do I know. My problem is the computer I want to put it in only has a 300watt power supply. So is there a video card that will work with this power supply or will I have to get a better power supply also?

Comments

• SpookSpook Regular
    edited March 2011
    spinky wrote: »
    will I have to get a better power supply also?

Most certainly.

I'd recommend anything over around 500 or so. Also, make sure that it supplies enough power on the +12v rail.
  • edited March 2011
    Get yourself a 600W Antec :thumbsup: Awesome PSU, hasn't let me down yet and I'm running a GTX260 (Also a great GPU).
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Like others have mentioned already.
    First get a Decent PSU from a good company. Antec is great. 500-600W would be nice. After that you can just set your budget and get a decent graphic card.

Right now you just might get by 5450 etc.
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine said he has some spare power supplies, I just have to look them over to make sure I get the right pin connectors. This is the card I'm thinking of getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-625&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo. Last time I did a new card a 7800 was considered high end lol.
  • edited March 2011
    That's a NICE card! You won't be displeased, I promise you. Just make sure you definitely get a good, powerful and reliable PSU and you'll be fine, honestly. Have fun, maybe post some pictures when you've got everything up and running :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    550 Damn, 560 is the way to go if you can afford it but considering the price and power consumption. It's pretty awesome.
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    550 Damn, 560 is the way to go if you can afford it but considering the price and power consumption. It's pretty awesome.

Yeah I don't want to spend over $200 for the card. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but this computer I have now only has onboard graphics and trying to play some newer games is near impossible.
  • edited March 2011
    So you're looking to play some games huh? What CPU and RAM have you got? These things will also have a massive effect on your gaming capabilities, regardless of what GPU you've got.
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    So you're looking to play some games huh? What CPU and RAM have you got? These things will also have a massive effect on your gaming capabilities, regardless of what GPU you've got.

AMD athalon II x4 630 2.8GHz cpu. Has 6 gigs of ram.

I made it thru Black ops with it but had to cut out all the eye candy and play it on the lowest settings. Homefront I can't do much at all even on the lowest settings. The onboard graphics is nvidia 9100.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited March 2011
    Those are good specs.:thumbsup:

As for video cards..you have to constantly look on deals. Newegg.com is a good website because they cut out some middlemen. That basically means, they cut out manufacturers sending it out to other manufactures until it reaches a retail price.

Never buy high tech, newly released vid cards. Vid cards constantly get outdated because of cheap bastards that want residual income. They can make TOP NOTCH shit, but they want it to make it there...through installments.

but if you hear of new video cards coming out, i am sure there will be discounts on old video cards for the purpose of clearing out inventory, just have to look =].

hope this helps