What are the benefits of using Safari on Windows?

edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
Seriously, am I missing something here? I've not been the first person to notice a few people, both from the internet and IRL, using the Safari browser on a Windows OS. Why not use a good browser instead, and what benefits does it honestly bring?

I don't think I'd ever stray away from my installation of Firefox, or even Chrome. Firefox has a massive collection of Addons which makes it fucking awesome, to say the least. Plus, it looks great and you can theme it. What the fuck can you do with Safari?!

Honestly, tell me.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    I used Safari when it came out and at the time it looked pretty great. After that I don't recall using it again. Some people just might like it. Others might prefer it because it's mainly used on Macs. I think people who use Macs prefer it.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited March 2011
    u get 99% extra memory and HDD space
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    Hipsters who can't afford a Mac.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited March 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Some people just might like it. Others might prefer it because it's mainly used on Macs. I think people who use Macs prefer it.

This.
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Hipsters who can't afford a Mac.

and this. It's definitely not that it's more secure. I think Firefox is updated a lot more, and as you said, has all of those badass add-ons.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    Firefox has memory leaks for one, and IE is an outdated piece of shit.
  • edited March 2011
    Firefox has memory leaks for one, and IE is an outdated piece of shit.

Hmmm. You could be on to something here actually - does anyone know how much RAM is used by Safari in comparison to IE or Firefox?

Also something I just thought of - I wonder how secure Safari is in terms of browser exploits and malware protection...
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    I installed Safari on a test install of Windows 7. It took so long to open the browser I didn't even bother, closed it, installed firefox and used that. Granted, it was on a POS machine, but Firefox beat Safari, and Firefox is not exactly known for it's fast starting time. But that's my only experience with safari, so mine is in no way an objective or informed opinion.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited March 2011
    Same reason they have the Bing/Yahoo toolbar installed.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    Safari is surprisingly good on Windows. I mean, I liked it and I hate Apple. The only reason I stopped using it was to try out Opera and have since not looked back. Definitely kicked the pants out of IE8 and anything MS produced prior when I was using the 4.0 version a couple years ago. The only problem I had was how it randomly crashed for no fucking reason at all. It wouldn't be a problem because Opera does this as well being as stable as it is. I'm starting to think the "sand box" feature is a fluke on all browsers who claim this should no longer happen. Only difference was Opera crashed far less than Safari did (Safari far less than IE7/8 did). It go to the point of annoyance really, which caused me to switch and try something new. I have to say it is a damn nice browser and I have little bad to say about it other than it's typical Apple producing a half-assed shitty product for PC users, and yet you always here Apple users complaining about PC products on a Mac. Guess the love/hate goes both ways in the software world.

Fuck apples, oranges ftw! :)
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    Hmm maybe you can import browsing history from iOS devices to it or something?

Dunno, Safari on Windows makes no sense to me. I tried it just to see what it was like and yeah it lasted about 5 minutes on my machine.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    None.

It's a shit browser but it has a fast launch-up. At least on my iMac.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited April 2011
    To the nigga who said IE was outdated, you're retarded. The new IE is definitely the fastest browser.