Leader Board CMS

DfgDfg Admin
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is a rating thread. Users who have created guides will be named here along with their contribution numbers. We might have some few things for them.

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Wtf is this shit? Seriously?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Ranking system for contributors? Late April fools prank man.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah bad idea, we don't need people spamming shitty guides to get their numbers up.

Like a guide to gravity...
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Yeah bad idea, we don't need people spamming shitty guides to get their numbers up.

Like a guide to gravity...

You are a moron...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    It's called incentive and also it's a way to recognize users hard work.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    And what would be the reward? Custom user titles and shit would be cool.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    And what would be the reward? Custom user titles and shit would be cool.

Depends, you could get a custom page on totse etc.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Somebody doesn't like competition...
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Somebody doesn't like competition...

Don't mind it at all, I would probably lose to trx100 though.

You saying you'll actually contribute now?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, that being said, would this be based on a point system so all contributors can earn the "reward" rather than just the bestest one?
    edited April 2011
    You saying you'll actually contribute now?

lulz that's exactly word for word what I expected your reply to be

But no, I have never contributed and I never will.
    edited April 2011
    This will just foster a spirit of eletism that will not be good for the development of the community. It is only natural to want to turn everything into a competition, however, for the greater good of mankind, this must not be allowed to go ahead.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    This will just foster a spirit of eletism that will not be good for the development of the community. It is only natural to want to turn everything into a competition, however, for the greater good of mankind, this must not be allowed to go ahead.

After reading responses, I think it's best not to go with this. I don't mind a little competition but the content should come willingly.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    I see no problem with promoting the more popular and well-written guides.
    edited April 2011
    I see no problem with promoting the more popular and well-written guides.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but I do not think it a good thing that it should ever be a stat for anyone. It is not with the spririt of the texfiles. They are there for information - no gimmick should ever be in place to encourage people to share information - they either want to and do - or they cannot be bothered and do not.

When the extra link to the chain is offered in recompense for a text file submitted, you then encourage something. I do not know if it is moral of immmoral. I only know what is moral is when you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.

Maybe a commenting rather than a rating system. Ratings are usually skewed, where as comments can interpreted in their entirity by all.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    vbulletin already has a built-in thread rating system (rate thread drop down menu), this could be utilized for the cms guides.
    edited April 2011
    vbulletin already has a built-in thread rating system (rate thread drop down menu), this could be utilized for the cms guides.

It also has a forum system and CMS - post a file or a guide as a post, pre-fix it, let it be prmoted by virtue of it being prefixed, allow thread replies to be seen where it it stored in the CMS.

A lot of replies correct information, validate it and add to it - I would sure use the numnber of replies to a text file of an indication of its potentially contentious nature and as such its potential for interestingness.
  • edited April 2011
    I don't have a problem with elitism. What's the alternative... mediocrity?

No shortage of that on the internet.

As long as sensible filters are put in place to exclude and thereby discourage mere stat-bumping contributions, I don't think there's anything damaging about having examples of high quality contributions to aspire to.
    edited April 2011
    I don't have a problem with elitism. What's the alternative... mediocrity?

No shortage of that on the internet.

As long as sensible filters are put in place to exclude and thereby discourage mere stat-bumping contributions, I don't think there's anything damaging about having examples of high quality contributions to aspire to.

Like these?

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=13189

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=13517

A reward for this? Is it how we become elite?
  • edited April 2011

Those aren't user-created guides, but those posts are a lot better than much of the shite that gets posted on this site.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    Why does there have to be a reward? Quality speaks for itself.
    edited April 2011

Wait what? How did those ever make it into CMS Central? :confused:
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait what? How did those ever make it into CMS Central? :confused:

They look like they're in Green Planet still to me.
    edited April 2011
    Oh, only the first one is. In any case, is this what guides have become? Copy and paste a link?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, only the first one is. In any case, is this what guides have become? Copy and paste a link?

Let's see a guide from you.

You talk a lot for someone who never contributes shit.

And they weren't meant to be "guides" they are pieces to a larger guide I am writing. They just need to be there for me to link to later. ;)
    edited April 2011
    Let's see a guide from you.

And they weren't meant to be "guides" they are pieces to a larger guide I am writing. They just need to be there for me to link to later. ;)

Here's a guide, actually here's two:

https://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4972

https://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4630

And since yours aren't meant to be guides, I am going to remove the guide prefix from them.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Its so funny when Mayberry gets uptight about his status around here. He hates the fact a lot of the community realizes he doesn't really do much of anything, instead his only clami to fame is being loyal and around DFG from the very beginning. Face it chink, you are more like the family dog than you are worthy poster. LULZ!

Hmm, Mayberry did he fair share and beside he had a point. I already removed other guides which were copy pasta. We're aiming for a better standard on Totse and this CMS central section [CMS = Content Management System] aims at filtering out the trash and making things better.

Yes, Spec I replied to you.
    edited April 2011
    For people like buddha who have only been here for a short time, I understand if they think that I haven't contributed anything. Honestly, I haven't written any articles for several months now, but as Dfg has always said, irl issues are more important. I currently do not have the time to sit down and write articles, but I do come on for a short bit throughout the day to reply to threads that interest me and to perform any mod duties that I see need to be done. I don't know if buddha has taken heed to any of the mod and usage tips I have given him, but my part is done.
  • edited April 2011

That's not entirely true; if you contributed as much shit to this site as Mayberry does you'd have to spend a lot of time defending it too.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Moved to HB. This idea didn't fly.
  • edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Moved to HB. This idea didn't fly.

That's a pity, I thought having a 'Guide-count' were only good guides were counted wasn't a bad idea in principle. It's certainly no worse than having a post count that isn't worth shit, because shit is counted.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    That's a pity, I thought having a 'Guide-count' were only good guides were counted wasn't a bad idea in principle. It's certainly no worse than having a post count that isn't worth shit, because shit is counted.
    I meant the idea I presented didn't work. Hopefully, I will find a better alternative.
    Funny how DFG will outright shoot down this idea in just a matter of hours, yet we have to watch Katzenklamer bumping the same kind of nonsense almost daily and he gets treated with kid gloves.

Well, I presented the idea in the first place.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    you niggas take the Internet way too fucking seriously.