I ask this to anyone who parties "ereday" or on weekends. Still no thoughtful answer.

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
What the fuck are you celebrating for?

Comments

• ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited April 2011
    anything, everything

I think that you can always be astounded. you have to want it, see it, believe it.

if not, roll over and die already
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited April 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    I drink to celebrate the fack that I have a mind altering substance
  • GotTwoThumbsGotTwoThumbs Regular
    edited April 2011
    I like to party on friday, friday and then saturday comes afterwards
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    The invention of alcohol.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited April 2011
    ducklips wrote: »
    anything, everything

I think that you can always be astounded. you have to want it, see it, believe it.

if not, roll over and die already

You are celebrating because you want to be astounded? doesn't that sound...a little sad? to only get high off of parties?
    I drink to celebrate the fack that I have a mind altering substance

Lets hope you can keep "celebrating" then =/
    Mayberry wrote: »
    The invention of alcohol.

Sounds like insanity to me; constantly "celebrating the invention of alcohol" and hoping for different results. You get the same things every time: drunks, vomit, people eating your food, mess, death etc.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited April 2011
    i guess a little sad...but more like im celebrating because i can be...and sometimes because i just want to watch the sun rise.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited April 2011

"I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right question."
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    celebrating life. question is y aren't you celebrating
  • JeuxJeux Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    It's not celebrating , it's escaping reality .
  • edited April 2011
    I don't party, I just get loaded, no excuse, happy or sad, required. Why does the OP think partying equals celebration? Seems like an exercise in semantics. So before tearing bits off all the posters, please define "party" and "celebration" in the context of your question, and why you think behavior that is enjoyable and pointless requires justification beyond simple self indulgence.

When I do celebrate something, I celebrate in a way that fits the occasion, maybe it means getting wasted, maybe it doesn't. A friend might just want some people over for dinner or to meet at a pub for a few drinks to celebrate a birthday, not a full on hellraiser. We celebrated my nephews first birthday a while ago, not even a liqueur filled chocolate to be had. I celebrate some religious holidays with friends and family without "partying", because the reason for the celebration is to make time to be with people you care about and pay respect to some concept that enriches our lives. (less so for me because I am an atheist, but I still take the opportunity to have face time with the family that would be impossible unless there was a good reason for everyone to take time off or travel to be together)

Rationalizing the things we enjoy is pointless, and dangerous because it allows for distance between our actions and our motivations. "I have to get drunk, it's......", baloney, you're getting drunk because you like it. People who blame their self indulgence on bad things are even worse. Most people who do this will usually end up with a bad habit of some sort, because justifying their actions with a reason they cannot control (ie; my parents are assholes), means they deny themselves the ability to take responsibility and change.

I have a very hedonistic nature, I love food, sex, drugs, booze and all the nasty bits life offers. And until recently I got away with it without screwing up my life because I always kept in mind that I was doing it because I wanted to. And when something fun became more trouble than it was worth, I stomped on it.

C/O
    "devout hedonist"
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011

Its not celebrating for me. its more like "lets get fucking

waisted tonite" For no reason other than good feeling and fun times

you need a life to experience this.

maybe one day someone cool will invite you to a party

and you can see how fun it is.
  • ImmaChrgnMaLAZRImmaChrgnMaLAZR Regular
    edited April 2011
    OP is just mad cause nobody wants to party with him. Not even fucking Rebecca Black....
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    I celebrate the birth of germs.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2011
    Nobody parties everyday. Maybe if they have a lot of money--and they'd only be 'celebrating' their 'wealth'.

Usually it's just a habit of being intoxicated though.
  • edited April 2011
    I absolutely love parties. If I could, I'd have one every weekend (occasionally skipping out a weekend, just for a change) just because they're great fun. They become memorable, especially if they're really great. I still remember parties which were just out of control, and they're amazing. Loud music, lots of people crammed into a house, drinking, smoke in the air, etc etc. :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I don't party, but I would to get in one someday.
    edited April 2011
    I don't party, I just get loaded, no excuse, happy or sad, required. Why does the OP think partying equals celebration? Seems like an exercise in semantics. So before tearing bits off all the posters, please define "party" and "celebration" in the context of your question, and why you think behavior that is enjoyable and pointless requires justification beyond simple self indulgence.

Partying and celebration is open to interpretation, my friend. However, I am only referring to people who consistently party everyday, weekend, or everything in between. I am not going to argue your below points because you are right: people "party" and "celebrate" for amass amount of reasons.

However, you definitely nailed a huge point that i am trying to infer. let me re quote you:
    ..and why you think behavior that is enjoyable and pointless requires justification beyond simple self indulgence.

Partying, celebrating in what you are suggesting to me, is enjoyable and pointless. I am requiring justification because it doesn't help anyone's future.
    The only thing you can get from partying, are fond memories...that you can look back to. My point is, partying, most likely gets you nothing, and doesn't help your future.

The only reason why I would celebrate is when I drive back to a nice house and total a SLK55 100amg Mercedes; and it will be ok because I'll be buying another one the next day. That is when i will be celebrating. But of course, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and philosophies. I am not saying you should follow me, or that my opinion is correct, I am simply suggesting many people do not have a reason to celebrate..because deep down, people are just celebrating their lifestyle; being poor, doing nothing, escaping from reality.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    For the context of this thread, the definition of 'party' is 'A social gathering especially for pleasure or amusement.' Celebration is not required for a party and vice versa. Your question implies that there has to be some sort of celebration, but many times the answer is just, "Nothing, I'm just hanging out with my buddies."
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    Its not celebrating for me. its more like "lets get fucking

waisted tonite" For no reason other than good feeling and fun times

you need a life to experience this.

maybe one day someone cool will invite you to a party

and you can see how fun it is.

qft
  • boggleboggle Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    Partying and celebration is open to interpretation, my friend. However, I am only referring to people who consistently party everyday, weekend, or everything in between. I am not going to argue your below points because you are right: people "party" and "celebrate" for amass amount of reasons.

However, you definitely nailed a huge point that i am trying to infer. let me re quote you:

Partying, celebrating in what you are suggesting to me, is enjoyable and pointless. I am requiring justification because it doesn't help anyone's future.
    The only thing you can get from partying, are fond memories...that you can look back to. My point is, partying, most likely gets you nothing, and doesn't help your future.

The only reason why I would celebrate is when I drive back to a nice house and total a SLK55 100amg Mercedes; and it will be ok because I'll be buying another one the next day. That is when i will be celebrating. But of course, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and philosophies. I am not saying you should follow me, or that my opinion is correct, I am simply suggesting many people do not have a reason to celebrate..because deep down, people are just celebrating their lifestyle; being poor, doing nothing, escaping from reality.

Then my question to you is: Can you only be happy when you have lots of money?
    edited April 2011
    boggle wrote: »
    Then my question to you is: Can you only be happy when you have lots of money?

When you have "lots" money, you have more options. You have freedom to do anything you want. However, I am not in business to make money by any means. I am simply here to fight for my time and freedom, instead of the future that society wants us to be in.

Happiness doesn't correlate into having a lot of money, a big misconception in society today. I've seen people who have a lot of money, but they have no meaning for it, and they don't live happy lives. These people work at jobs, being taxed at every pay check and worrying about their future. Having a job..is not safe. How is this relevant?

Who is in control of your job? The CEO, the people above. If you are not in control, then how can you call your job "secured"? A CEO doesn't care about keeping your job or not. They care about maximizing profits and work. This is why people are stressed and unhappy. I am not even talking about the work aspect.

A business is you. You control how much money you make. You control if you want to give yourself a raise or not. Is it stressful? hell yeah it is. But when your business is secured time and freedom is yours, being able to do whatever you want to do. Living a stress free life. That is true happiness.

Money is all around us like the air we breathe and we simply have to accept it. I challenge you to tell me something that doesn't involve the dollar, and lets see how far you get with that! :)
  • GotTwoThumbsGotTwoThumbs Regular
    edited April 2011
    When you have "lots" money, you have more options. You have freedom to do anything you want. However, I am not in business to make money by any means. I am simply here to fight for my time and freedom, instead of the future that society wants us to be in.

Happiness doesn't correlate into having a lot of money, a big misconception in society today. I've seen people who have a lot of money, but they have no meaning for it, and they don't live happy lives. These people work at jobs, being taxed at every pay check and worrying about their future. Having a job..is not safe. How is this relevant?

Who is in control of your job? The CEO, the people above. If you are not in control, then how can you call your job "secured"? A CEO doesn't care about keeping your job or not. They care about maximizing profits and work. This is why people are stressed and unhappy. I am not even talking about the work aspect.

A business is you. You control how much money you make. You control if you want to give yourself a raise or not. Is it stressful? hell yeah it is. But when your business is secured time and freedom is yours, being able to do whatever you want to do. Living a stress free life. That is true happiness.

Money is all around us like the air we breathe and we simply have to accept it. I challenge you to tell me something that doesn't involve the dollar, and lets see how far you get with that! :)

So whats the issue? you say partying does nothing for your future what is this doing for it? Sitting in front of your keyboard playing judge and jury sitting on your high seat above us all. What knowlegde could you possibly hope to attain by asking a question as pointless as why do people party everyday. It's all about choice. You choose to question this and they choose to try and make sense of it.
  • boggleboggle Acolyte
    edited April 2011

Ok so your job is your life? I dont give a fuck if i loose my job, i know enough things and enough people to get a new one. I prefer my kind of freedom over yours.

But yes, you need money for everything. But you dont need an amg to go where you want.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited April 2011
    My point is, partying, most likely gets you nothing, and doesn't help your future.

While I do place great value in working towards a positive personal future, there are times when it is necessary to take a break from your work/passion/what have you to simply enjoy the present. That's my reason for "partying". It's rare that I take a break from whatever form of work I present myself with. I suppose my reason for "celebration" is the work I've done. Yes, there are times that I reward myself with copious amounts of alcohol. That's my choice, though. I celebrate my often exhaustive work load and nose to the grindstone attitude with a night of good ol' drunken times with friends.

edit: And also, banging random chicks from time to time does help my future, if only in the sense that my self esteem is boosted for a few days, leading to increased productivity.
  • DaGuruDaGuru Mite
    edited April 2011
    My point is, partying, most likely gets you nothing, and doesn't help your future.

Lethargica, the point where you are fundamentally wrong is believing you actually "have a future". None of us really do, and instead its only hoping and faith in your current mindset that makes you believe tomorrow is a feasible possibility. The point is, the ONLY thing you truly "have" is this day, this hour, this moment....and while folks like you constantly are striving for tomorrow and what MIGHT BE, people like myself are grasping every ounce of life we can get out of THIS moment.

Granted, its nice to prepare and try to advance your conditions for the hope of a "better" situation IF there does happen to be a tomorrow.....but never for the sacfice of what you DO have today. Lethargicia, go talk to people in old age homes, or with terminal illnesses....see if their regret is the hamster wheel of life, running, running, running, always trying to "get somewhere better". Or do they wish they had more time to enjoy the fellowship of their friends and loved ones and ENJOYED their lives more???

If there is a "purpose" to any of this life, it certainly isn't about constantly striving/wanting more....instead taking time to appreciate the grandeur and spectacle to what this existence has to offer. :thumbsup: