Facebook and your thoughts.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
Here's an interesting one. A while ago I was getting shitty texts from some girl who I apparently was friends with. I had lost all my numbers but I was getting these from a number I hadn't assigned a name to. All attempts to call said number resulted in answerphone and/or ignoring my call.

Now, a while later, I whack the number into Google out of curiosity and low-and-behold! There is the perpetrator. Turns out it was a girl I fingered at a party when half-pissed and she seemed fully-pissed at me for moving on from her psychotic behaviour and crazy ways. She had put her number on a wall of a group for people who had "lost their phone". Lawl.
Anyone else got some fucked up Facebook stories or bitchiness? I really don't understand why anyone would put their info on a publically accessible website. it's beyond me. Did your parents teach you nothing as a kid growing up with "stranger danger"? Goddammit :facepalm:

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I really don't see the point in sharing information like that on the internet. I'd NEVER put my phone number onto a group just because someone had lost their phone and wanted everyone's number. That's plain retarded, and I'm fully supportive of any negative consequences which may occur after they've done it, as they fully deserve them. I hate how Facebook wants to harvest your information. It bugs you for every little detail, and occasionally gives you nudges to reveal more and more about yourself.

"Going out and about? Enter your phone number here and get Facebook updates on your mobile!"

How about, fuck off?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I posted a link to this, a website was created for there [Check IFIOTW] which lets you see the latest phone numbers. Apparently you can get tons of phone numbers by just digging around on facebook.

Most people just trust Facebook without question. I beleive it's EVIL for Totsean but still a great tool to exploit. Try Googling her address or school. You might get lucky.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Searched for a bit but couldn't find it, Dfg :(
    And another thing - putting all your personal info at the top of your profile like a roll of honour

facepalma.jpg

Some people put even more info up there. I am really tempted to start using this data for my own gain...
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Some people put even more info up there. I am really tempted to start using this data for my own gain...

If you're really smart you might even be able to find out their address! I mean, it's crazy simple to find out my neighbours address! I just have to look out my window and BAM! 3 someplace avenue! It's crazy the things people put on their doors! :rolleyes:

What can you get on Facebook that you can't do by rooting through someone's trash/talking to them?

I do agree people put too much info on there but I guess that's more a problem with the person, not really a Facebook issue.

Not a direct attack on you by the way, just saying. :)
  • edited April 2011
    You should build a database of everyone's information. Put it all into an SQL database, make a website which allows users to search through it and find info on everyone, and use it to your advantage somehow :)
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I hate how Facebook wants to harvest your information. It bugs you for every little detail, and occasionally gives you nudges to reveal more and more about yourself.

"Going out and about? Enter your phone number here and get Facebook updates on your mobile!"

How about, fuck off?

This. I can agree with BaconPie when he says it's more the person than Facebook, but it just seems like Facebook nags and nags, like when a new user signs up they have the little green progress bar on the side telling you how the progress of your new profile is going and what not, which I think gets a lot of people to start putting up pics and information.

My BS Twitter account wont even suggest trends and people for me to follow because it's still suggesting that I put up a new profile pic.

Thanks to people wanting everyone to know and tell them Happy Birthday on Facebook, I've been able to get the birth dates of a lot of my classmates from school and use them to be anonymous (somewhat) on school systems (they set everyone's default passwords as their dob)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    You should build a database of everyone's information. Put it all into an SQL database, make a website which allows users to search through it and find info on everyone, and use it to your advantage somehow :)

You know what? I actually started doing that before I had FB. Now I have deactivated my old account, just before I delete it sometime this week, I think I will!
    'Ave it ;)