What's the safest way to do online banking at Uni?

edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
I'm going to be heading away pretty soon and I'll be using an Internet connection which is shared by a lot of people. Due to the fact that this will be a connection which isn't set up and maintained by myself, I can only assume (being the paranoid guy that I am) that my details/keystrokes/login credentials are being logged somewhere.

If I was to ask someone from home (that being family/friend) to help me out, what would be the best way to get a secure connection to the internet so that I can do my banking/anything else which might need some security?
  • SSH to my home computer.
  • VPN to my home network.
  • Webserver at home, configured to run a proxy server.
  • TOR
  • Using my mobile phone 3G connection, tethered to my computer.

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    3G tethered.
  • edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    3G tethered.

And why exactly do you suggest this? :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Unless you tether to a PC and then turn it to a wifi hotspot, how are they going to get in your network, given the PC is clean.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't use TOR. There is a slim chance that some fucker on an Exit Node may be sniffing your traffic. Rare, but it happens.
  • edited April 2011
    ^ Nick, what makes 3G so insecure? As far as I can currently see, it's a good idea. The only worry being that my phone provider would be logging banking activity... Although, I can use HTTPS for a little more security.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    What are you doing? Running some sort of underground coke smuggling operation with the Colombian cartel?

I doubt any telecommunication service provider would give a rat's ass about some kid's measly transaction.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    What are you doing? Running some sort of underground coke smuggling operation with the Colombian cartel?

I doubt any telecommunication service provider would give a rat's ass about some kid's measly transaction.

You'd be surprised just how much traffic gets sniffed on a University Campus/Halls.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    SSL
    SSH
    VPN

Do it in the layered fashion or just use SSL in a SSH Tunnel for banking.
  • edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    SSL
    SSH
    VPN

Do it in the layered fashion or just use SSL in a SSH Tunnel for banking.

This is what I'm thinking, as opposed to using the 3G method. I'd feel safer being able to connect to my home network and my own computer, rather than going through the 3G route and not knowing what the fuck I'm connecting to. The only problem lies in getting someone to set up a server for me at home. I guess I could configure someone's computer with the required stuff (Wampserver, some php files) and just get them to turn it on whenever I need it :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    This is what I'm thinking, as opposed to using the 3G method. I'd feel safer being able to connect to my home network and my own computer, rather than going through the 3G route and not knowing what the fuck I'm connecting to. The only problem lies in getting someone to set up a server for me at home. I guess I could configure someone's computer with the required stuff (Wampserver, some php files) and just get them to turn it on whenever I need it :D

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/
  • edited April 2011
    How secure is Logmein? I'm pretty sure someone in my family actually uses that for work purposes, so that sounds like a good method.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    How secure is Logmein? I'm pretty sure someone in my family actually uses that for work purposes, so that sounds like a good method.

They have a business to run so it's very secure. You can try Teamviewer if you like but it's a pain in the ass if your system reboots frequently.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited April 2011
    Simple. Don't do online banking. If you're that worried about it.

SSHing to your home PC or setting up a VPN to home would probably be the best bet though. So long as you only used your laptop.

Running as a locked down user.

Who can only SSH.

Without X11, otherwise your keys could be being logged.

Make sure you chop off your fingertips too... fresh prints on the keyboard can show up your passwords.

• edited April 2011
    Alright, Logmein is looking very promising. Can it connect to a network, or just a single computer? The reason I'm asking is because I might want to connect to my home network (not a single machine) when people are out of the house and their computers aren't running.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Alright, Logmein is looking very promising. Can it connect to a network, or just a single computer? The reason I'm asking is because I might want to connect to my home network (not a single machine) when people are out of the house and their computers aren't running.

Well, you just give it a try it just might work. Makesure to forward the ports in your router!
  • edited April 2011
    I've taken a look at it and it's looking promising. How secure will this keep everything though? I know it's a pretty obscure question but I can't think how to word it properly. Basically, connection to my home computer through Logmein will be completely secure, right? It's effectively a tunnel straight to my home computer, and this will stop people on the network being able to see what I'm up to, right?

I need some more information :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Also remember to shave off your arm hairs. You won't want any compromising hair follicles.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I've taken a look at it and it's looking promising. How secure will this keep everything though? I know it's a pretty obscure question but I can't think how to word it properly. Basically, connection to my home computer through Logmein will be completely secure, right? It's effectively a tunnel straight to my home computer, and this will stop people on the network being able to see what I'm up to, right?

I need some more information :)

Dude, I do online banking from my home and I don't worry about etc things. Take a chill pill, if you're that worried about things set a limit on your account so in an event someone does take control he won't be able to move money out with making the require phone call to the bank.

Many people use Logmein, check their FAQ or e-mail them.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm setting up an SSH server instead, gonna do things that way. Seems like a better approach for me, to be honest :) Thanks for all the help though, I've learned a lot :thumbsup:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you worried about your Uni or some hacker snooping? Cause the Uni will have a privacy policy regarding the information and I doubt they'll want to face consequences over some petty bank details.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    Linux live disc.