How would you like to see BB mod'ed?

My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
I've always found the xenophobic atmosphere of old was really counter-productive to the forum, and even the hobby in general.
Running a guy off because of his lack of experience could lead him to look for shadier sources of info. In turn, he could royally fuck his shit up, which causes negative media reactions.
I think we should give that same novice the details on how to have the right experiences to be a safe respected member.

As a mod here, I want members to feel completely free to ask questions without fear of getting called a kidiot before we hear them out.

I would like to keep out the dangerous members who may give the hobby a bad name, but I also want to help people who could benefit from being taught rather ostracized for their lack of notoriety (we are not a click). I think giving everyone a chance to prove their commitment and personality before being cold dicks to them would be a good rule.

These are my thoughts so far. I'm posting to hear from you guys on how best to run this section. All suggestions are welcome.
Post in this thread or PM me if there's any questions. Thanks.

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    As a mod here, I want members to feel completely free to ask questions without fear of getting called a kidiot before we hear them out.

Pretty much why I never posted in BB on totse.
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    I could understand why they strongly wanted to keep potential liabilities out, but when I first started out, they're attitude kept me at the c02 canister and gunpowder stage for an unhealthy period of time.
    Either way, I was still a liability. Ah well, amirite? :rolleyes:
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    i support the nurturing of the inexperienced, even the ones that make us facepalm.

but i think there is a fine line between helping and spoonfeeding.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    With an iron fist.

You give even an inch in BB and shit hits the fan.
    edited July 2010
    I think it's a slow enough board that I can handle trouble-makers without coming down too hard.
    We'll see how it works out for now... cuz, y'know, there's really no regulars and hardly any posts in general. :rolleyes:
    edited July 2010
    I think it's a slow enough board that I can handle trouble-makers without coming down too hard.
    We'll see how it works out for now... cuz, y'know, there's really no regulars and hardly any posts in general. :rolleyes:

I'm just basing this off of the old Totse.

:cool:
    edited July 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    i support the nurturing of the inexperienced, even the ones that make us facepalm.

but i think there is a fine line between helping and spoonfeeding.

I missed your post the first time through, sorry--But, yeah. I agree completely. I'm more for steering potential threats towards more rudimentary compounds to use as learning aids, rather than give them everything they want in my first post to them (as evident in the potassium perchlorate/aluminum powder thread... though, he figured it out on his own anyways).
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    I'm just basing this off of the old Totse.

:cool:

Old totse was cool in some aspects, but we'll see if I have to resort to that sort of alienation of new members.
    edited July 2010
    Old totse was cool in some aspects, but we'll see if I have to resort to that sort of alienation of new members.

We'll just have to wait and see. :D
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to lurk BB back in the day. It made me sad that on &Z there wasn't really an equivalent for a long time. Now I've kinda lost interest in this kind of thing. I mean it's still fun to light shit on fire and make it explode, but I just haven't bothered recently.

Maybe you guys can rekindle my interest :D
  • stupid noobstupid noob Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Man, people were called kidiots for doing stupid shit. Using metal casings, unsafely large devices, unsafe working conditions, general kidiocy. The information one needed was all provided on the site, and some things there are no excuses for.
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, people were called kidiots for doing stupid shit. Using metal casings, unsafely large devices, unsafe working conditions, general kidiocy. The information one needed was all provided on the site, and some things there are no excuses for.

I have such fond memories of you and Vineman flaming me.....:)

Seriously, one of zoklet's, and probably every totse clone's, is they neglected the pyrotechnics section. Do you know how crucial to the site it was to bait kidiots in with 1337 bom resipee text files, then convert them to chemists and pyrotechnicians in the pyro section?

I wish you had posted in F&B more at zoklet, SN. It was and still is a great forum(This whole "zoklet civil war" seems to have left it unscathed), as far as ToTSE chem sections go. I just remember too many pseudoephedrine extractions and meth recipes from the original LT from when I lurked. But then again, that's all I could really comprehend back then anyway, so everything else probably went over my head.....

I don't know. I want to pick up where Lab Tips left off in early '09, but I didn't even post there while I was at totse, which was actually back before '07 I think. I just know that if it wasn't for people like Nshanin and JoePedo when I first came to zoklet, I wouldn't know hardly anything still. First I was a noob in BB, then years later I restarted as a noob in F&B, and the veterans from Lab Tips had to whip me into shape. I don't see how I can run this new LT the way you and Sqeegee and Bongtech and all the other's did. I'm still a noob, really. I honestly didn't know who Squeegee was when he made that thread in NfHC about getting out of jail. How the fuck am I suppose to replicate the original LT? Obviously the original totse is dead, and transition will be necessary.....

You can probably tell this is a pathetic plea for advice. I guess I'm still just that 14 year old boy, trying to fit in with the big boys in BB.

What ever happened to the people like Vineman, and Mokothar, and Random Looney? I know Asilentbob went to zoklet, got modded, and left. I also remember that kid Swany, I was quite envious of him. Shit, I think I even remember when Nuclear Rabbit was a noob. I'm pretty sure he came in after I did even.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    BungHole wrote: »
    You can probably tell this is a pathetic plea for advice. I guess I'm still just that 14 year old boy, trying to fit in with the big boys in BB.

Heh, I still feel like this too...
    What ever happened to the people like Vineman, and Mokothar, and Random Looney? I know Asilentbob went to zoklet, got modded, and left. I also remember that kid Swany, I was quite envious of him. Shit, I think I even remember when Nuclear Rabbit was a noob. I'm pretty sure he came in after I did even.

This. Where the hell is vineman?

BB and DIY are what first drew me to totse...I started lurking about 4-5th grade, pretty much grew up reading Stupid Noob, Vineman, and Rat Bastard's posts in BB, along with Spatula Tzar and Argon Plasma in DIY. I loved those days...

Sure as hell taught me a lot, though.

I was thinking about something the other day though...

Who was the member who made large amounts of AP, and had it go off in their garage? I want to say Redsky. Also, it was either here or on RogueSci that someone stored AP in a jar with screw-threads, and, well...ap sublimes and formed crystals in the threads, and it went off when he attempted to unscrew the lid.

One more what-ever-happened-to: I remember a post by someone who said they blew a finger off with a COB next to a river, posted pictures of his hand w/ username and timestamp.

I'm thinking it might mean more to people to see pictures of actual members that have had their shit fucked up, rather than just random internet people.

Anyways, this post is getting too long.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    I say let the users moderate the users (free reign to flame noobs) but the moderators should take a more lenient & proactive approach and mostly just focus on spam/sources/other bullshit.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    You sound like you can handle yourself although its not up to me so you will have to hope the big boys are reading this thread and like what your stepping in.
  • edited August 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    Where the hell is vineman?

Sup.
    BungHole wrote: »
    What ever happened to the people like Vineman, and Mokothar, and Random Looney? I know Asilentbob went to zoklet, got modded, and left.

I'd very much like to get back in touch with Mokothar, we had a good run together back in the day. The only person whose whereabouts I can speak for are asilentbob's. He's been busy with school and whatnot, I still talk to him occasionally. I had a TOTSE meetup a little more than a year ago with him and lordnitrox/deathdiver for those of you who remember him. As for myself, I've been largely out of the pyrotechnics scene for a long time now. I still have the passion and a lot of the knowledge, but I lack the time.

So as to not detract from the original point of the thread, I'd say that the best way to moderate this forum would be with a firm, but not overly degrading, hand. I don't think this forum will have nearly the influx of children as TOTSE did, if just for the simple fact that the website itself is a rather small blip on the radar. The slower pace should allow for more personal, "hands on" instruction rather than just having to resort to flaming every tard that comes in because there's 15 new bullshit threads every 5 minutes.

Though, having had a chance to read some of the posts that currently exist in this forum, someone with some actual knowledge and experience is definitely needed. There's nobody here to call bullshit on the stupid things some people have posted.

A final small tangent, the captcha I was given when registering had the first 4 characters "KNO3". I found it especially fitting.
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited August 2010
    Vineman wrote: »
    Sup.

I'd very much like to get back in touch with Mokothar, we had a good run together back in the day. The only person whose whereabouts I can speak for are asilentbob's. He's been busy with school and whatnot, I still talk to him occasionally. I had a TOTSE meetup a little more than a year ago with him and lordnitrox/deathdiver for those of you who remember him. As for myself, I've been largely out of the pyrotechnics scene for a long time now. I still have the passion and a lot of the knowledge, but I lack the time.

So as to not detract from the original point of the thread, I'd say that the best way to moderate this forum would be with a firm, but not overly degrading, hand. I don't think this forum will have nearly the influx of children as TOTSE did, if just for the simple fact that the website itself is a rather small blip on the radar. The slower pace should allow for more personal, "hands on" instruction rather than just having to resort to flaming every tard that comes in because there's 15 new bullshit threads every 5 minutes.

Though, having had a chance to read some of the posts that currently exist in this forum, someone with some actual knowledge and experience is definitely needed. There's nobody here to call bullshit on the stupid things some people have posted.

A final small tangent, the captcha I was given when registering had the first 4 characters "KNO3". I found it especially fitting.

And the darkness has been banished....
  • stormyweathersstormyweathers Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    when nobody posts, there really is no need for a mod
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited August 2010
    I would like to see it modded by vineman.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    when nobody posts, there really is no need for a mod

^This
    When it gets more frequent posters then it will be modded.
    edited August 2010
    abrn wrote: »
    I would like to see it modded by vineman.

I completely agree. If he is interested, then I would have no objection to being replaced.
  • edited August 2010
    I completely agree. If he is interested, then I would have no objection to being replaced.

I am certainly interested, If you're willing to put in a word to Dfg about it. I don't think he'd listen to me if I suggested myself for moderator. :hai:
    edited August 2010
    Consider it done, brah.