Ubuntu 11.04 review.

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
Ubuntu 11.04 review.

Well Ubuntu 11.04 was released a couple of days ago. Like it or not, no one can doubt that it's the flagship "Linux Desktop" and will likely remain top dog for the foreseeable future. This release continues with Ubuntu's tradition of incremental updates and the biggest noticeable change is the Unity desktop. The Ubuntu One interface (a cloud syncing service similar to dropbox) has been revamped and the Ubuntu software centre now includes a user review module.

The way applications work with the desktop has also been changed.

The Installation

There's nothing to talk about here. Ubuntu has always been simple to install and it still is. Ubuntu 11.04's installer is more or less identical to 10.10's installer albeit with slightly reworded dialogues and a new colour map for partitions.

Logging in.

This is the virginal desktop:

vH7xz.png

If you have hardware that works better with restricted drivers an app will pop up after a few minutes offering to install everything required. If your hardware/drivers doesn't support 3D acceleration Ubuntu should fall-back to Unity 2D (I still haven't figured out how to launch it) or it will default to the last pre-GNOME3 release. This is what occurred in my case until I installed the closed NVIDIA drivers.

Unity.

This is obviously going to alienate some people. Unity is better than GNOME 3 hands down but I have doubt's over an interface that needs 3D anything. There's a launcher at the top left of the screen, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is a menu launcher, however it would be more accurate to regard it as a search launcher.

RTvkj.png

This is the weakest point in the unity interface, a user can no longer see what apps he has installed, he now has to search for it. The user can now search for files through main "menu". Having tried prior versions of Unity and GNOME-shell, I was surprised by how fast the search results appeared.

7qseA.png

The Unity Devs seem aware that apps are annoyingly hidden and have introduced a compromise:

Fw7zZ.png

This launches the unity menu with only the applications category shown. It feels like a hack and that's because it is:

yG2Bf.png

There is no longer a minimise tray at the bottom of the screen. I think most users will get used to this after a few minutes as the vertical dock bar is a better approach. An App that is launched appears on the side-bar with a little trianage to indicate that it is launched and not only docked.

Some apps have already utilised Ubuntu's dock feature with context menu functions. There are not many of these yet.

2pAdi.png

Ubuntu now includes a new type of scroll bar. It's works fine and saves space. This is not enabled on all applications.

SCP6N.png

MhdM9.png

There is now a global menu bar. All I can say is: about time. It works a little differently to Apple's menu bar.

The menu items are not shown until the mouse is hovered over the bar

FQ3C0.png

dhP1m.png

The window buttons (close, Max and Min) are now integrated into the menu bar making maximised apps look like this:

t0Bni.png

I think this works great.

This is how workspaces are handled:

timXt.png

I care little for workspaces but this introduces an extra click that is only useless eye-candy.

Final Thoughts.

Up until this release, I could say that Ubuntu was a server OS tweaked for Desktops. With 11.04 this is untrue. Unity has firmly cemented Ubuntu in the desktop OS category, power users will likely be disgruntled by Unity's interface redundancy. I have not tested unity under anything more than light loads (firefox and a few small apps). I question how it would respond under heavier loads, I doubt it would fare well. The best thing conacial can do is stop adding features for the next release and just tweak unity, squash bugs and put a higher emphasis on resource management.

I would have recommended Ubuntu 10.10 to my grandmother if she had asked, but with Ubuntu 11.04 there are too many unknowns and the interface is not exactly as crisp and simple as the typical WIMP layouts.

EDIT: turns out unity-2D is in the repos.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Wow, that actually looks pretty good! Thanks for reviewing this, you took a lot of time and effort and it definitely shows :D I think I'll install this in a little while, over the top of my Xubuntu partition (that thing is getting boring now). Great post.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited May 2011
    I installed this on my Laptop and I am simply blown away. I love how the task bar is always there until something more important is in the way, then it tucks out of sight until you need it. Move that more important thing away? It pops back up ready to be used.

I love the OSX style bar at the top too. Copying OSX is a good move, it has a great UI design. The task bar I like a little less because it's not implemented as well as Windows 7's but it's a good amalgamation of the two. Unity = OSX + Windows 7.

The one thing that really drags it down however is that search bar. It's hideous, too big and doesn't work as well as, say, spotlight search. In OSX you start typing and this comes up:
    spotlight_preferences_spotlight_search_01.png

Instantly. The speed + size is so useful it's unreal. Unity's monster is bad, bad, bad. Luckily you don't have to use it!

Also, I liked how if you hold the super key and press numbers you run taskbar programs like in Windows 7. Super+s brings up an expose-esque workspace switcher. Good stuff.

Also, I plugged in my iPhone and not only did it recognise it, but I could start playing music there and then. For desktop Linux this is a big step.

Having said all this, I won't be using it as my main desktop OS, I love the simplicity of my current set up.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the review. The GUI has changed a shitton since 2006 LOL.

Really looks sexy. Does the third button [maximize] work the same as on OS X or Windows?

-Downloading. I'm so excited!!! xD

I must say, Ubuntu is FUCKING SEXY. Thanks OP.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    It reminds me of vista due to it's bogged down nature.
    I'd rather use a light OS & work it up. So it's definitely not for me.
    Thanks for the review 'Slartibartfast' :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2011
    ^^^
    Sometimes the forum software hangs, he must have pressed "submit" twice.

no biggie.
    edited May 2011
    ^^^
    Sometimes the forum software hangs, he must have pressed "submit" twice.

no biggie.
    Nah! Midori. It's the only browser I use sometimes that does it. Thanks for the clean up bro. :(
  • edited May 2011
    Well, after a couple of hours worth of Googling and reading error messages, I finally managed to get 11.04 working :D I found an old Live CD laying around which had Ubuntu 9.something on it, so I installed that over my Xubuntu partition. Then I updated to 11.04, only to find that my Xserver had broken in the process. I think it's something to do with running on a different kernal, or something.

Anyway, I managed to find a great guide in the end which walked me through removing some shitty stock drivers and eventually reinstalling Xserver, which I then configured and managed to get everything working again.

My verdict - Ubuntu 11.04 is awesome! Taking a while to get used to the menu system though.
    edited May 2011
    A friend of mine downloaded 11.04 studio version. He's liking it. The past ubuntu studio used to install everything. A few different movie editors, a shitload of sound mixers, a couple of keyboards and a handful of assorted paint editors.
    11.04 gives you the option of what you want, a music studio or graphic version. Instead of giving you a bloated slug. You can also pick the tools you require.
    Me personally, I think the linux in ubuntu died after 9.04, You know? before MS styling started rubbing it's penis all over ubuntus deb packages. :(
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited May 2011
    I was going to give 11.04 a try for awhile, but I think I'll just stick to playing with 10.10. The system menu and vertical dock would annoy me too much.

Nice review, Slartibartfast
  • womens111111womens111111 Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Thanks For Share i like it.
  • edited May 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    I was going to give 11.04 a try for awhile, but I think I'll just stick to playing with 10.10. The system menu and vertical dock would annoy me too much.

Nice review, Slartibartfast

You might as well upgrade and play with it! Besides, you can choose to use the classic menus and whatnot before you log in, so you don't NEED to use Unity :)
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    The system menu and vertical dock would annoy me too much.

It's fucking stupid IMO, i was going to install it on my laptop but i think i will stay using 10.04 atm.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    The dock is fine. It autohides when you move a window near it.
  • edited May 2011
    The dock is sexy. It's really easy to use, and only takes a few minutes to get used to. Great stuff, I'd say. Plus it looks awesome.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    One more thing, is it just me or do Youtube videos buffer on the spot? Don't recall this issue in Ubuntu 8.04.

This site helped me a ton: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/things-to-tweak-fix-after-installing.html
    edited May 2011
    I'm assuming it comes installed with ubuntu live & still lacks a config. :(