Free World of Warcraft.

abusernameabusername Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Well, it's not quite here yet but they think there is a strong possibility it will be free in the coming years. For something that makes millions and millions a year this kind of perplexes me that they would just throw all that money away.. even if they put in micro-purchases they would never make the amount of money they do now.

Heres the story

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/world-of-warcraft-might-go-free-to-play-sometime-in-the-future-according-to-lead-designer-2010072/

What do you guys think? Would you play it?

Comments

• TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to troll the shit of of it the day it goes free.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahh yes but isn't going have a model where by for the decent items you have to pay? TBH I got sick of wow years ago and as the guys I used to play with no longer play it either I can't see myself ever revisiting it ;)
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    Ahh yes but isn't going have a model where by for the decent items you have to pay? TBH I got sick of wow years ago and as the guys I used to play with no longer play it either I can't see myself ever revisiting it ;)

Indeed I forgot to add that part, they were thinking of adding micro-transactions for good weapons and armor.

That would basically ruin the entire game though.. everybody who has worked their asses off for years raiding to get the best stuff, will have nothing on people that spend $50 on their character, getting the best gear.

Ah well I guess Blizzard is just abandoning ship and moving onto better things.. seems like they are just going to try milk the last bits of money they can out of people before they do so.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2010
    I will probably start playing again if it goes F2P.

We should start a Totse Guild.

On the Spinebreaker server maybe?
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    If it becomes free to play, I'll join the guild :D
  • Tommy LundTommy Lund Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Man, I would rather pay a small amount of money each month.

Free would make it a haven for fuckwits.

Now, if they had separate pay per month and free pay for shit servers, that would be OK.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited July 2010
    LolWoW is already free for a lot of people.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    All the hardcore gamers play Runescape.
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »

This.

Faggots.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2010
    we could all join a private wow server and wreak havoc as a totse guild
    edited July 2010
    we could all join a private wow server and wreak havoc as a totse guild

I would be ok with this. Atleast until real WoW goes free. Any good servers in mind?
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2010
    depends on what kind of server we are wanting to join. low rate, medium rate, high fun server. just depends. personally id want to join a medium rate server
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Im playing on alphawow.net
    It´s not overpopulated and gives 3x XP and honour. Almost no lag though a few newer quests are bugged and they are always a patch behind.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    They have to. MMORPG games are starting to free up their shit, and I think that with new blizzard games coming in, the three starcrafts+expansion, diablo3+expansions, and a new MMO, Blizzard is ready to gather more players at the cost of..well money.

But at the same time, this could be a market strategy towards the new generation of WoW players in buying/supporting their newly released games; if the calculations reap profits.

Just a theory i formed in 2 min.
  • edited July 2010
    does matter much to me. Once FF14 comes out I'm proubably not going to touch WoW again.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »

I thought the only people that played Runescape were 15yr olds whose parents won't pay for WoW.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    I thought the only people that played Runescape were 15yr olds whose parents won't pay for WoW.

You thought right.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2010
    Paco wrote: »
    I would be ok with this. Atleast until real WoW goes free. Any good servers in mind?

WoW-Pwnage is the best pvp one i have found, and pvp is the only fun thing u can do on private servers anyway. u have to have an arena rating of 1050 to get the best gear, and u have to do alot of bgs to get mediocre gear (better than starter). its instant 80.

My name on there is Fattymcblunt on horde and Dubsack on alliance, Area 52 server. i will make the totse guild.

the problem here is i was on alot of xanax yesterday and i accidentally deleted wow...so i gotta wait like 2 days to download it again and patch it up cuz my internet sucks. PM me if you join Wow-pwnage, we should go alliance though cuz the horde is overpopulated

oh yeah and a shitload of people play so theres always ppl to bg/arena/world pvp with
    edited July 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »