Interstate Travel Tips

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited May 2011 in Life
Interstate Travel Tips

cars+on+interstate.jpg

There may come a time in your life when you will have to travel very far across the U.S.A. I have compiled some tips that I have learned during my new career training that might assist you in your travels on the interstate highways.

Looking Ahead

Looking far ahead of you helps your level of awareness substantially. It is imperative to know what is coming up along the road. Constantly scan the road from as far as you can to a few feet ahead. This will keep you aware of what traffic is going to do, of curves and how sharp they are, of vehicles exiting rest areas and weigh stations, of vehicles merging from exits and will also help to keep your vehicle steady in your lane.

Check Your Mirrors

Checking your rear and side view mirrors often is important for awareness as well. Awareness is the most important thing along with common sense when driving. I suggest checking your mirrors every 8 seconds to keep track of everyone behind you as well as your position in your lane. Use your side view mirrors to get a good look at where your tires run along side the white lines. You want to check both mirrors when doing this to make sure the distances between both are balanced. Doing this is especially important after curves and merging. Always check your mirrors before changing lanes (and for Pete's sake use your fucking blinkers).

Changing Lanes

There are several times that you will need to change lanes and several times that you just should. Of course you want to pass someone who is lagging their speed. Whenever you are coming up to a weigh station or an oncoming exit ramp if there is a vehicle (especially a semi) you should make sure that you are in the left lane. Semis make very wide turns so it is best to give them as much room as possible. The exceptions to this are if there is not oncoming merging traffic and if the merging traffic is given its own lane. You should also change lanes if there is someone is parked or working on the shoulder. You never know when a worker might trip over something and fall into traffic. This is all assuming that you are driving in the right lane which I suggest as it is safer and makes it easier to get onto an exit ramp. If you cannot change lanes for merging traffic because there is another vehicle beside you speed up to get ahead of them or slow down to let them in. A good way to judge which to do is if halfway through the exit the other vehicle is beside you slow down.

Speed Limits

This is another reason why I suggest driving in the right lane. Speed limits will fluctuate throughout the country. Usually it is 70mph and around 55mph in construction zones. Keeping your speed at 63mph or around 100kph will ensure that you do not get a ticket for going too fast and allow ample time to react to the traffic around you. Also at this speed it is easy to know what time you will arrive at your destination. Even in construction zones at this speed you are very unlikely to get a ticket. Speeders will pass you but let them. They will be out of your way and sight so there are less vehicles to concern yourself with. Pay attention to the traffic around you so you can slow down when necessary.

Truck Stops

Truck stops are geared toward truckers specifically but you can also take advantage of a few of their benefits. Many truck stops across the nation have showers which you can purchase usually for $10 a ticket at a kiosk. TA and Pilot (Flying J) truckstops all have showers and can be found all over the country. You might have to wait a little while or you might not depending on how many truckers are there. TA and Pilot truck stops have cards which you can ask the cashier for which work with a point system. Everytime you fuel there you earn points which usually accumulate to 1 shower. New Pilot cards come loaded with a shower and $3 which you can spend in the store or at one of the restaurants in the building (often Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, Subway and/or Dairy Queen). Needless to say I prefer Pilot. Another advantage is the massive thermos you can buy for cheap and refill at whatever fountain for around $1.17. This costs much less than buying sodas and is just nice to have. The downside is that gas costs a little more at these two particular truck stops than the regional convenience gas stations. I prefer Pilot personally.

*BONUS*
Basic On the Road Checkup

When making a long cross country trip it is very important to make sure your vehicle fluids are at an appropriate level and the appropriate color. Before you set out on your trip check your brake fluid, transmition fluid, wiper fluid and oil levels. Most vehicles come standard with a tool for checking yourbtransmition fluid but if yours doesn't you can buy one at any auto parts store. It is a good idea to keep a spare bottle or two of each. While you're at it check to make sure all of your lights are working properly. I suggest this every 1000 miles to be safe. That soon isn't necessary but you're better safe than sorry. It is important to keep a vehicle jack, tire iron and spare in case of a flat.

I know that for many of you this guide is a load of common sense preached to a snoring choir but I also know that some of you are fresh out of high-school and might find it informative. Interstate driving is about being aware of your surroundings and having common sense. Thanks for reading and be careful out there on the road.

Comments

• OutbackOutback Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I drive a lot, normally cover off 600-1000kms/week (375-625miles) and most of it is on freeways/highways (2+ lanes per side/1 lane each side). It's always good to keep at least some Oil+Water with you, for everything else an RACV membership is priceless (roadside assistance).

In Australia it's illegal not to have a spare (unless the car does not come with one) so it's really not that much of an issue here.

Other than that try eating at smaller shops, the quality of food between McDonalds and the local Bakery are miles apart and you feel a lot better on long journeys.

Oh yeah, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE RIGHT HAND LANE (left for you yanks) unless your passing someone/speeding. I set my cruise to EXACTLY 112.5KM/H (70.3125miles) in a 110KM/H zone(68.75 miles) you can sail right past cops and cameras because they wont activate until 113.3KM/H (in Victoria).