Reccommended Android phone?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
Aight guise,
I have slowly turned my interest to Android phones. I have a Crapberry 8900 and am sick of:
  • The bulked up, simplified interface
  • The knowledge that I can do so much more with the tech yet can't
  • Lack of applications that make my life easier
  • Slow and laggy
  • Buggy
  • Crashes so often

The list goes on...
Anyway, after realising I don't want an iPhone and as my contract is up for renewal, I was checking out Android phones, not least as their application and cracking abilities are much more widespread.
The phones I was looking at were the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire as I have a MicroSD card for my Crapberry already so it saves me a bit of money etc.

So, tell me your reccommended Android phone, and say, the top 3 applications you would want. I hate Facebook and use GPS a fair bit to plan routes etc. Anyway, just spout about good phones. I'm gonna go read the Android threads now.

Cheers!
az.jpg

Tits for thread.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    HTC Desire, you WON'T be disappointed. I've owned one since Christmas, and it's freaking amazing in every way. It's lightning fast with the 1Ghz CPU, plays games smoothly (among other graphically based things, like HD videos) has an awesome interface and there's some really great apps available. It also has 7 home screens and a large amount of customization.

BQ.png

This is my main homescreen. I'm using a big clock widget with the weather and some temperatures built in, as well as organizing my mainly used apps below. I've also got a few buttons to press which turn on mobile/wifi data.

k0.png

This is a screenshot of a folder which I've created called "Tools". It's got all my useful applications inside, such as a file-manager, barcode scanner, backup tools, SSH (connectbot), and even a speedtest app :D

cZg.png

Finally, this is an image of one of my Dropbox folders. I know you use Dropbox so this should come in handy for you. From here, I can download any Ebook I want from my Dropbox account, and then open it up in the PDF viewer which comes with the phone. Good for reading on the bus!

As for my top applications...

Internet
    Dropbox
    IRC

Oh, and did I mention that you can use TOR on Android too? I've got a program called Orbot (combined with Orweb) on my Desire, and it works well. Look it up!
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    That's what I'm talking about! I saw a thread about TOR on the Android a while back and I think that was the clincher. What about playing handheld games on the HTC like an iPhone/PSP? Is it a comfy size? I'm crap at comparisons and reading online specs. Doesn't hold up to IRL feel.
  • edited May 2011
    Playing games is great, because of the pretty perfect size. It easily fits into your hand when playing, and thanks to the great hardware inside, all games run really smoothly.

Oh, and those last 2 screenshots above look really washed out. I dunno why that happened, but for the true colors, look at the first screenshot and use your imagination :D
    edited May 2011
    Looks sweet as. I think you won me over. The apps look just the sort I want to run and the eBook library looks fappable due to me keeping a stupid amount of info on me at all times. Cheers brah :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2011
    No problem. Just make sure that when you get your Android phone, things like Geo-Tagging are turned off. I always disable all the locational services which try and get your location. Hell, even Google does it. Call me paranoid, but I'm sure you understand :D
  • edited May 2011
    In the location settings, there is an option which allows you to disable the phone's ability to grab your location based on either GPS or nearby WiFi networks. This should solve the issue of your location being tracked, but if that article is true, the Android would probably still save a record of the latest Wireless networks it has seen. At least your location would be fairly safe though.

Also, if you flashed your phone and installed a different ROM, there's a chance that this file might not even exist. Not sure about that though.
    edited May 2011
    Quite true, actually. I have been checking out the other Android threads here today actually. No idea where to start with flashing, but I might do it after owning the phone for a bit if I feel the need.
    My contract is up in August and it's a free upgrade so no extra cost. HTC Desire it is, thanks to Daddy ;)

Dropbox, IRC (yeah you heard me), some kind of Google Maps/GPS and a few decent ebook reader/games apps and I'm sorted.
  • edited May 2011
    Don't worry about Flashing right now. If you need to do it in the future, I'll guide you through it all :)

I recommend Yaaic for IRC, btw.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited May 2011
    I really want a Desire Z. You might want to check that out too. Also, the pure breed phones; Nexus One and Nexus S.