What's the best distro for learning how Linux works?

edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
I know this is a pretty generic question and might be slightly difficult to answer, but is there a particular Linux distro which requires a lot of learning to use? I want to get a little more involved with the way Linux works and that's not really something which Ubuntu helps with (damn user friendly shit).

So, throw some very user un-friendly distro's this way :D

Comments

• angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited May 2011
    I think you might like ARCH.
    Here is a link that might help you out.
    http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-choose-best-linux-distro
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2011
    Arch is definitely the way to go. Gentoo is also a good Distro for this kind of thing but it's all source and waiting for things to compile is fucking annoying.

Also, if you're up for it: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I started learning by fucking around with ubuntu
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks for the pointers, I might give ARCH a shot although the idea of Linux From Scratch sounds awesome :D I'll probably end up giving both a shot to be honest, so thanks. I'm going to have to learn quite a bit, I think.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited May 2011
    Arch Linux or Linux From Scratch.

Each major distro has it's own way of doing things. Arch Linux in particular keeps things simple with single init scripts for daemons that start up at boot instead of linking several daemons, from several different directories for different run levels. I like to keep things simple so I use Arch Linux but because of that I do things the 'Arch Way', not the 'Debian Way' or the 'Red Hat Way'.

On top of that, you can still get your teeth stuck in to something like Ubuntu. Just because it's got a GUI doesn't mean it's for noobs.

I highly recommend Arch Linux if your after keeping things simple, and you will definitely learn things, but everything you learn, you can probably do on Debian and it's derivatives.

Having said that no other distro, I feel, has as good a documentation. Just google "arch linux <something>" and you'll come across the wiki article.

The only problem is the lack of package signing because the pacman dev's can't be bothered. Don't let that put you off though, dive right in:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

Also, force yourself to change, use vim instead of nano and most importantly, your computer is your bitch. Not the other way around.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    Gentoo Linux - Installing Gentoo will teach you more about Linux and computers than any other distro (linux from scratch is not a distro). But I haven't touched Gentoo anymore since I discovered Arch Linux (mainly because of the arch wiki - best docs on the net as BaconPie said), which will also teach you a lot. I've still got a soft spot for Gentoo though, it's basically what thaught me how an OS works.

I would not advise you to go Linux from Scratch until you feel comfortable in a command line and know what you like and dislike in a distro.

Damn, now I'm tempted to install Gentoo again.