The importance of backups...

edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
So today, for the second time in a few months, I had a USB stick crap out on me. Either the fact that I use it quite a lot every day (I browse the internet from it, do my work from it, etc) or the college computers are just absolutely dreadful and are prone to corrupting flash drives. Whatever the reason, I lost a whole fucking assignment on the most BORING shit ever (writing about marketing strategies), as well as a whole access database (which is also terribly boring) :facepalm:

I backup whenever I remember, but obviously not enough. Anyway, I had to do all my lost work again which took a good few hours (which I could have otherwise been using to complete work which I actually should be doing, if I was on schedule).

BORING.

Anyway, lesson learned (again). BACK UP REGULARLY.

Now... What should I do with a totally bricked USB drive?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Take out the insides, wire up a blasting cap in place, give it to someone.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Shove it up your ass, give it to someone.
  • edited May 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Shove it up your ass, give it to someone.

Fucking hell, that's a good idea. I'll ass it and then leave it in a computer at college :thumbsup: People always steal flash drives so maybe this will make their day a little shittier.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited May 2011
    I backup daily (using a script I posted in the *nix section) because it only takes, literally, 10 seconds so it isn't an issue. Also I have a Dropbox.

Did you know Dropbox works with symbolic links? So, in my ~/Dropbox folder I have a symbolic link to my ~/uni folder. Every file I create and every change I make, is recorded and stored online. You can even go back to previous revisions, share the files and recover deleted files. I accidentally deleted a report using rm, my last hard backup was too old. No problem, log onto dropbox and restore the file from 10mins ago.

Amazing. Though I do need to get around to building a Time Machine-esque backup system which backs up changes every 10mins... Summer project I guess...

Something else I've been meaning to do aswell, OSX has this feature were it periodically backs up all of the system file's permissions. If you ever fuck shit up you can just click "Repair file permissions" and it sorts them all out for you. For use in cases when you decide to:
    # chmod a+rwx -R /

Edit: Symbolic links are created using the ln command with the -s flag. 'man ln' for more info.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    BaconPie wrote: »
    I backup daily (using a script I posted in the *nix section) because it only takes, literally, 10 seconds so it isn't an issue. Also I have a Dropbox.

Did you know Dropbox works with symbolic links? So, in my ~/Dropbox folder I have a symbolic link to my ~/uni folder. Every file I create and every change I make, is recorded and stored online. You can even go back to previous revisions, share the files and recover deleted files. I accidentally deleted a report using rm, my last hard backup was too old. No problem, log onto dropbox and restore the file from 10mins ago.

Amazing. Though I do need to get around to building a Time Machine-esque backup system which backs up changes every 10mins... Summer project I guess...

Something else I've been meaning to do aswell, OSX has this feature were it periodically backs up all of the system file's permissions. If you ever fuck shit up you can just click "Repair file permissions" and it sorts them all out for you. For use in cases when you decide to:
    # chmod a+rwx -R /

Edit: Symbolic links are created using the ln command with the -s flag. 'man ln' for more info.

"Repair file permissions" fucked my HDD some months ago. My mac was a bit sluggish and after some clean-up, I figured booting the OS X DVD and verifying/repairing file permissions would help. After seeing my HDD in red in Disk Utlity, I had to run Onyx and the S.M.A.R.T status check gave me some error. I had to reinstall OS X all over again.
  • SemSem Regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm always paranoid about my assortment of computer parts failing. I've got back ups of back ups truth be told.

I don't believe I've seen any hacks for a flash drive that's already bricked though.
  • edited May 2011
    How would I go about making a script which backs up AMENDED files (not every single file, just the amended ones) to dropbox? I was thinking about putting it into my cron.hourly directory for safe keeping.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    BaconPie wrote: »

# chmod a+rwx -R /

I was going to suggest DB as well. In Windows you can make any folder Dropbox folder, or you can just plug in your USB to your system and it will sync with your local system and at the same time it will sync with DB.
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    How would I go about making a script which backs up AMENDED files (not every single file, just the amended ones) to dropbox? I was thinking about putting it into my cron.hourly directory for safe keeping.

This is what dropbox does anyway. Whenever you change a file, it makes a record of that change and backs it up. Same as rsync, it copies only files that have changed.
  • edited May 2011
    Damn, I didn't mean Dropbox :facepalm: I meant to say the same thing, just with backing up to a USB stick instead. Is that possible?
    edited May 2011
    http://totse.info/bbs/showpost.php?p=175069&postcount=4

Please feel free to edit the script to your own liking. Use it as more of a base for your own backup.

Also, man rsync.