An Alternate to Facebook & Diaspora, Altly.

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Disapora was launched a year ago and many backers backed it. To this day it hasn't kicked off yet. Now another Facebook alternative is on scene.

It's called Altly and it doesn't make any sense. But it's best if you just go here http://altly.com/ and reserve your e-mail and nick. In case if really does kick off.

I am getting tired of moving around these communities, I am only following them up because of totse :(.

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited May 2011
    Breaking NEWS: Yet another Facebook competitor emerges.

Myspace - http://www.myspace.com

Myspace, Inc. is a leading social entertainment destination powered by the passions of fans. Aimed at a Gen Y audience, Myspace drives social interaction by providing a highly personalised experience around entertainment and connecting people to the music, celebrities, TV, movies, and games that they love. These entertainment experiences are available through multiple platforms, including online, mobile devices, and offline events.

8517f54164d97dd8af8aaeb93246f612.jpg
  • JackJack Regular
    edited May 2011
    Dfg: The front page is kind of void of explanation, but they explain in the blog:
    Summary

Facebook is dramatically changing the way we communicate with our friends, family, business associates, and the other groups of people in our lives.

We are pressured to become “friends” with people that we would not have had ongoing communication with prior to Facebook.

We are also pressured to share more and more personal information with not only “friends” but “friends of friends”.

Facebook’s privacy settings are so complex that even advanced users have a hard time configuring them, understanding who can see what, and Facebook continues to change its privacy settings without first alerting users, creating serious problems with serious consequences.

Facebook subjugates our personal information and our digital identities, and then sells us, as products, to advertisers, without regard for our rights, and with no value to us.

Facebook doesn’t just want to own our communications while on Facebook, but is spreading its tentacles across the entire Web with their Facebook Connect login, Facebook Like buttons, and Facebook Comments, making it practically impossible to have private use of the Internet.

At this time there are no real alternatives to Facebook, as most people believe that no one can possibly create an alternative.

http://Altly.com is building an alternative to Facebook, with a dramatically different view of our rights to privacy and ownership of our personal information.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2011
    The best 'alternative' to FB is your own webpage.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't really know what was wrong with the old model. There were web pages for your blathering, e-mail for blathering to other people slowly, and chat/IM for blathering to other people quickly. It was all fine until Social Networking came along and put it all in one place where it mangles and clashes and people are overloaded with a bunch of shit they don't care about because it doesn't even belong on the same medium.

No matter what they fix about Facebook, Twitter, etc. it'll always be information overload and/or time waste to me.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    The best 'alternative' to FB is your own webpage.

This. I don't trust any alternatives as they are a surefire way of being caught out as all the site would attract was people that didn't like FB, and then what? ;)

At least if &T would go anti-Facebook or alterna-facebook, then we have out 1989 throwback, but I could understand people's concerns. Why put your personal shit on there in the first place?