Gonna be homeless soon

MegalodonMegalodon Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
where are the best places to live if you are homeless?

I was thinking about making a shelter in some woods, or just travel the country on a bike and sleep wherever I can find a decent place.

Also, how is the best way to get free food? I don't foresee myself having any money once I start living homelessly. Should I steal? Beg? Starve?

Comments

• MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited July 2010
    Guess I forgot to say that I hate big cities, I'll be avoiding them at all costs.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    You can easily steal food from stores along with any soap or beverage you desire. Just follow the climate. You can probably steal a tent from any garage, or collect cans and shit to recycle to buy shelter.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Michigan, because of that 10-cent can recycling refund. Just not in winter.
  • UnwyredUnwyred Regular
    edited July 2010
    Get some boxes and wool blankets and build a shelter underneath an overpass. Overpasses provide the absolute best privacy and shelter and if you really get up in there, you'll find that most have pretty roomy, dry areas near to their embankments.

Overpasses FTW.
    edited July 2010
    Unwyred wrote: »
    Get some boxes and wool blankets and build a shelter underneath an overpass. Overpasses provide the absolute best privacy and shelter and if you really get up in there, you'll find that most have pretty roomy, dry areas near to their embankments.

Overpasses FTW.

I'll consider this, thanks.
  • edited July 2010
    Megalodon wrote: »
    I'll consider this, thanks.

If you need the internet, go to a library. Also, if you need a phone use a usb thumb drive to run a portable app of voipstunt. and steal either a pair of headphones or a cheap computer mic. Either work as mics.
    edited July 2010
    If you need the internet, go to a library. Also, if you need a phone use a usb thumb drive to run a portable app of voipstunt. and steal either a pair of headphones or a cheap computer mic. Either work as mics.

I've decided it will be easiest to give up electronics all together. I've never owned a cellphone, so it won't be very hard for me. I'll sure miss my mp3 player though :o
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this by choice?
    edited July 2010
    Greenbull wrote: »
    Is this by choice?

Society has forced it upon me.
  • edited July 2010
    I've decided it will be easiest to give up electronics all together. I've never owned a cellphone, so it won't be very hard for me. I'll sure miss my mp3 player though :o

What about &T?
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Society has forced it upon me.

Cut the shit and start elaborating.
  • UnwyredUnwyred Regular
    edited July 2010
    You should at the very least get one of those throw away digi-cams they sell and photo-document your life so as to share it with us when you do get back on your feet.
    edited July 2010
    Money, I don't have enough of it to sustain myself. I don't believe in having to pay money for food and water. It's just not right. There used to be a time when rivers were pure and we didn't have to pay to stay alive. Too many zombies (metaphorically speaking). There is just no way that I can pay for a house, food, water, maintain a job, and be happy. So I'm leaving it all behind. Call me a fool, a dropout, whatever. I'd rather die a free man than live as a slave.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Big cities like Philly, NYC, LA etc. and stay outside big food places (ie. pats cheesesteaks in philly) because they're prime spots for money and theres leftover food and scraps from people eating there.

Yup.

Come over to NYC. Especifically Queens around the spic area. There's hundreds, literally hundreds of big chinese supermarkets where you can take stuff from. They don't monitor their markets, and they have most of the produce outside. You can bag yourself 15 apples and no one will find out. Just get ahold of a supermarket shopping bag. Stuff food in the transparent baggies, then dump it in the bag and leave.

They're usually near parks so that oughta be a water source. You could live in a shelter, there's tonnes around here. Most beggers get robbed by homeless people though.
  • edited July 2010
    Money, I don't have enough of it to sustain myself. I don't believe in having to pay money for food and water. It's just not right. There used to be a time when rivers were pure and we didn't have to pay to stay alive. Too many zombies (metaphorically speaking). There is just no way that I can pay for a house, food, water, maintain a job, and be happy. So I'm leaving it all behind. Call me a fool, a dropout, whatever. I'd rather die a free man than live as a slave.

A time when the waters were pure with dysentery and fish shit , a time when you got to murder your own meal (or grow, then murder it), a time when you made your own shack of sticks and adobe ....

Cosmo-Good-times-gooood-times-.jpg
    edited July 2010
    A time when the waters were pure with dysentery and fish shit , a time when you got to murder your own meal, a time when you made your own shack of sticks and adobe ....

http://memegenerator.net/Cosmo/ImageMacro/1692404/Cosmo-Good-times-gooood-times-.jpg

A time when love was abundant.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Make a fort in the woods and kidnap and rape women there.
  • UnwyredUnwyred Regular
    edited July 2010
    A time when the waters were pure with dysentery and fish shit , a time when you got to murder your own meal (or grow, then murder it), a time when you made your own shack of sticks and adobe ....

Cosmo-Good-times-gooood-times-.jpg

And then photoshop brought us into the modern age...
  • edited July 2010

6a00c2251d19928e1d00e398cfebfc0004-500pi
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010

What are you, ate's disciple? Lol.

Good luck though. Be careful on winters.
  • edited July 2010
    Vizier wrote: »
    What are you, ate's disciple? Lol.

Good luck though. Be careful on winters.

And SERIOUSLY, be sure to boil your water before you drink it. Even still be wary of chemical contamination. If you note any odd smells, better you not drink it. By the way the mutual ancestor between humans and chimpanzees were probably butt-rapiing each other for the alpha-male position looong before Homo sapiens (lol, irony) came about.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Money, I don't have enough of it to sustain myself. I don't believe in having to pay money for food and water. It's just not right. There used to be a time when rivers were pure and we didn't have to pay to stay alive. .

I don't understand, do you expect society to support you?
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010

ur werking ur way 2 ern a plase in the grupe of sosiety by having a job and paying pills and 4 ur food. ur giving som kind of good or servise 2 lots of ppl in exhange 4 how u get 2 take from sosiety like the tecnoligy of ur mps3 player 4 example. if u want 2 live completely in the wild and hunt ur own food go ahed but lets c u do it without anything that som1 with a job made possible. i challenge u. :o:o:o:o
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    If you live in a big city you can practically live off of squatting. During the days you scope out houses in maybe some outer suburbs for houses that are unoccupied because they are for sale, or looking for mailboxes that are fuller than you would expect (suggesting the occupants are away and thus haven't emptied it). You'd be surprised how many of these there actually are. Then at night you break in, preferably without making much noise or drawing any attention. If you're lucky there's food, clothes and shit inside to take for supplies as well.
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited July 2010
    where are the best places to live if you are homeless?

I was thinking about making a shelter in some woods, or just travel the country on a bike and sleep wherever I can find a decent place.

Also, how is the best way to get free food? I don't foresee myself having any money once I start living homelessly. Should I steal? Beg? Starve?

The wanderer of freedom, I say.
    edited July 2010
    brandon wrote: »
    ur werking ur way 2 ern a plase in the grupe of sosiety by having a job and paying pills and 4 ur food. ur giving som kind of good or servise 2 lots of ppl in exhange 4 how u get 2 take from sosiety like the tecnoligy of ur mps3 player 4 example. if u want 2 live completely in the wild and hunt ur own food go ahed but lets c u do it without anything that som1 with a job made possible. i challenge u. :o:o:o:o

It's not about technology. It's about food and water. I could care less if I never see an ipod, radio, tv, ect again.

Ironically, I'm currently working as a cook at a restaurant. You'd think working there for over 2 years would earn me some kind of title that deserves to survive. But nope, I get paid jack shit and I hardly have enough money to pay for my car loan, taxes, insurance, ect....

We have the ability to live in abundance. Unfortunately there is a small group of people holding 90% of the worlds wealth, making it impossible for everyone to live happily.

If i die in the wilderness, so be it. At least I'll be happy.
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd prefer to be homeless in the countryside, than in a city.

Like, in the country a lot more people grow vegetables and shit, so you can go robbing for your veggies.

A lot of people also keep chickens and the like, so you can be a chicken thief.

There's comfier places to sleep, and less people about.
  • Malcolm XMalcolm X Regular
    edited July 2010

I wouldn't exactly call living under a bridge, eating scraps from peoples plates, and fighting over shopping carts being a "free man"

maybe you should take some time off, get yourself together and press through. Everybody else is making it, you can too:cool:
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not about technology. It's about food and water. I could care less if I never see an ipod, radio, tv, ect again.

Ironically, I'm currently working as a cook at a restaurant. You'd think working there for over 2 years would earn me some kind of title that deserves to survive. But nope, I get paid jack shit and I hardly have enough money to pay for my car loan, taxes, insurance, ect....

We have the ability to live in abundance. Unfortunately there is a small group of people holding 90% of the worlds wealth, making it impossible for everyone to live happily.

If i die in the wilderness, so be it. At least I'll be happy.

u will b happy in the wilderniss???? i give u 5 days till ur tired of being cold and hungry. unless u have stuff that ppl with jobs helped 2 produse wich u prolly will!! :o:o:o
    try doing this without anything sosiety contributed 2. that includes close!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! well maybe u can hav som close so we dont hafta look at u but thats it
    edited July 2010
    reject wrote: »
    I'd prefer to be homeless in the countryside, than in a city.

Like, in the country a lot more people grow vegetables and shit, so you can go robbing for your veggies.

A lot of people also keep chickens and the like, so you can be a chicken thief.

There's comfier places to sleep, and less people about.

This sounds like a good idea, minus stealing chickens. I really don't eat meat anymore, and the idea of having to kill an animal to eat it is just horrifying. I'd rather stick to vegetables and fruit. At least they don't scream when you grab them...
    Malcolm X wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call living under a bridge, eating scraps from peoples plates, and fighting over shopping carts being a "free man"

maybe you should take some time off, get yourself together and press through. Everybody else is making it, you can too:cool:

Who said I would fight for scraps and shopping carts? Maybe I haven't expressed my personality thoroughly enough. I don't even like using money. I can't even go into the store anymore and buy food unless my stomach is like dieing. It just creeps me out too much, having to buy food, that probably aren't even good for you....and there's so many people there it's just weird for me.

Imagine growing up as a Native North American, before all this bullshit. Of course we'd have our wars still, other tribes, but at least we'd be living off the land like we were meant to. Imagine if we never invaded and they eventually found us instead? How much different would our world be if instead of conquering other lands, we waited for them to develop to a point where they could travel to other continents. OH but no, just invade them and kill them all before they can do that because by that time we would have laser guns or someshit :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    edited July 2010
    brandon wrote: »
    u will b happy in the wilderniss???? i give u 5 days till ur tired of being cold and hungry. unless u have stuff that ppl with jobs helped 2 produse wich u prolly will!! :o:o:o
    try doing this without anything sosiety contributed 2. that includes close!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! well maybe u can hav som close so we dont hafta look at u but thats it
    I'm planning on moving further south so that the winters are bearable. Like Jamaica maybe even.

I'm down for helping society. I'll fucking grow massive gardens of food. Oh, but then I'd have to get all sorts of learning into me, which costs shitloads of money that I can't afford.

Instead of teaching everyone how to grow their own food and build free energy devices (solar panels for 1), our government has tricked us into living like zombies in some sort of nature destroying machine that we are now accustomed to living in. Not me.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm planning on moving further south so that the winters are bearable. Like Jamaica maybe even.

I'm down for helping society. I'll fucking grow massive gardens of food. Oh, but then I'd have to get all sorts of learning into me, which costs shitloads of money that I can't afford.

Instead of teaching everyone how to grow their own food and build free energy devices (solar panels for 1), our government has tricked us into living like zombies in some sort of nature destroying machine that we are now accustomed to living in. Not me.

yet im shure u contribute 2 it. i no it sux 2 c nachure being destroyed but i cant sit here and point fingers cus pritty much every1 is at falt. good things com out of this like airplanes aircondishiners ipods computers INTERNET dentists good shews and comfertible close 2 ware and not 2 menchin buildings that stand up in erthquakes and medisin and a air helicopter :o:o:o:o:o
  • xxombiexxombie Regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah bro. I'm doing the exact same thing right now.

Protip: making money is better when you travel. Learn to panhandle, busk, fly signs, fish for change and squeegee. One you've got that down, hitchhike and hop freight trains.

Learn the best towns for making money, stop there a couple times a month (not too often or you'll wear them out) and make enough for food and supplies. Hitch or hop a train to where ever the fuck you want. Once you start running out of food and supplies, repeat.

If traveling isn't your thing, go to a place like Toronto. The city will pay for your apartment, health care (including dental, optical and perscriptions) and give you free food. If you can find a way to get on disability, you'll be living the high life. A lot of the homebums I know make $2000+ a month (and of course they spend it all on Listerine).
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd rather be homeless in a city than the country side.

Its a much more fun experience. I'm going to be homeless starting next monday and I'll be homeless in my home city in jersey. I have friends who'll let me take a shower, do laundry, maybe let me crash at their place once in a while, and pick up mail I may get. I'll be camping on top of apartment buildings. A lot of these apartment buildings have couches, chairs, etc up there so why not? I honestly cannot wait to be homeless until fall. When fall comes around, I'm getting a job and finding my own place.

To get my booze, I'm stealing. To get my food, I'm stealing. To obtain money for a tent, I have some people who'll help me out with some scams.

I honestly think this can be very fun since its summer and a lot of my friends never go home during the summer and they'll just chill with me.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010

Clearly not, which is why he's getting out of society..?

Admirable, OP.
  • xxombiexxombie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Being homeless in secluded place fucking sucks. Get yourself a good backpack and travel from city to city, that way you can take a few days off and chill in the woods if you want to but stay in cities so you don't starve.
  • xxombiexxombie Regular
    edited July 2010

Society supports me, and I do just fine. :)
  • xxombiexxombie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Erorr wrote: »
    Yeah but his mission is to renounce society in general and live off the land where your average "hobo" transient type just clings to the fringes of society.

I know a hobo that's a lot like this. He's not on welfare or anything, no ID of any kind. He lives in very elaborate shanties under overpasses (one my friend was telling me about had a door, several rooms and a generator to plug in things like a radio or hot plate). I've never seen him panhandle or anything (in the morning he walks by the spot where the crackheads fly a sign and picks up all the pennies they throw away), I really don't know how he makes his money. I know he frequents the drop ins and free meals, but you can't live on free church dinners.

I'll have to sit down and talk to him sometime and learn his mysterious hobo ways.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Or get a job, take showers daily, have food to eat and cool stuff to play with. You can live off of a minimum wage job.
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    cool stuff to play with.

foolish mortal
    edited July 2010
    lmfao. I'd rather have a huge tv, 2 computers, ps, AC/heat, a huge bed with expensive sheets and money for more booze than i could possibly consume than be a filthy hobo living under a bridge eating trashcan food.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuckin' homes, how do they work?
    edited July 2010
    I'd rather have a huge tv

enjoy zombieism
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010

I admire you for this post.

This nigger is pulling a Greyfox on us.

EDIT: Go to alaska and live with Greyfox.
    edited July 2010
    mashlehash wrote: »
    I admire you for this post.

This nigger is pulling a Greyfox on us.

EDIT: Go to alaska and live with Greyfox.

I could never live up there. I don't know how that old man does it. He's a wizard I say.
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    I could never live up there. I don't know how that old man does it. He's a wizard I say.

Truth.

But then you'd have the honor of saying you lived with Greyfox in the wilderness no homo. That's an award in itself.
    edited July 2010
    enjoy zombieism

lolwut? Did I say I have cable? No, I didn't. That's because I use my tv for playing games and watching movies. Nice try, though.
    edited July 2010
    lolwut? Did I say I have cable? No, I didn't. That's because I use my tv for playing games and watching movies. Nice try, though.

You automatically singled out watching cable. Interesting. There's still mind control in games and movies as well you know.
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited July 2010
    This sounds like a good idea, minus stealing chickens. I really don't eat meat anymore, and the idea of having to kill an animal to eat it is just horrifying. I'd rather stick to vegetables and fruit. At least they don't scream when you grab them...

Who said I would fight for scraps and shopping carts? Maybe I haven't expressed my personality thoroughly enough. I don't even like using money. I can't even go into the store anymore and buy food unless my stomach is like dieing. It just creeps me out too much, having to buy food, that probably aren't even good for you....and there's so many people there it's just weird for me.

Imagine growing up as a Native North American, before all this bullshit. Of course we'd have our wars still, other tribes, but at least we'd be living off the land like we were meant to. Imagine if we never invaded and they eventually found us instead? How much different would our world be if instead of conquering other lands, we waited for them to develop to a point where they could travel to other continents. OH but no, just invade them and kill them all before they can do that because by that time we would have laser guns or someshit :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I understand what you mean. But people fascinate me too much for me to do what your doing. If that makes sense. Anyone ever just sat on a park bench and observed others? I can do that for hours.

Well anyway peace be with you and may you find it.
    edited July 2010
    You automatically singled out watching cable. Interesting. There's still mind control in games and movies as well you know.

Of course I singled out watching cable. My tv just sits there. It doesn't turn itself on. Mind control in games and movies? What are you going on about? They're entertainment. I can turn them on and off whenever I want. I can hit pause. I can watch 5 mins and never look at it again. I'm playing final fantasy vii again. Does that game control the millions of people who played it? Obviously not. You need to stop being so paranoid.