Considering picking up a .22

JMayneJMayne Semo-Regulars
edited June 2011 in Man Cave
Hey there,

Lately I've been toying with the idea of picking up a .22 lr bolt action rifle. It'd be my first firearm (I've shot before, just never owned), but I want to pick up something I'll keep around for a while, something pretty high quality. That being said, I'm not exactly looking to shell out a grand for an Anschutz.

The one issue is, I'm left handed, which cuts down my options. My first choice was the CZ 455, but CZ doesn't make left handed 455s. Their site says they still produce the left handed 452, but something about paying more money for a discontinues model of rifle than I would for the new version just doesn't sit right with me. Still an option though.

The other rifle I've been looking at was a Savage Mk II, since they have those in left handed in most configurations.

So, can anyone shed some input? Should I get a righty CZ 455 and just learn to adapt, lefty 452, or lefty Savage?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Get a marlin .22.

They're way more accurate than a gun should be at that price.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited May 2011
    With most guns you don't have to worry about buying a specificly left handed model. I shoot left handed, and don't have a problem with my Marlin 60, AR15, or M1carbine. You just need to make sure the casings eject at about a 2Oclock position.
  • JMayneJMayne Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    With most guns you don't have to worry about buying a specificly left handed model. I shoot left handed, and don't have a problem with my Marlin 60, AR15, or M1carbine. You just need to make sure the casings eject at about a 2Oclock position.

What's your technique on racking the bolt with the M1? Do you just reach over with the left hand? If I were to scope the rifle (which I probably would), would it make reaching over to rack the bolt an issue?
    edited June 2011
    These.

Yeah, reaching over would be harder that way. You could always use your right hand to work the action. It will always be awkward with left handed operation, unless you find that left handed model. Or you could learn to shoot weak sided, its not preferred probably, but it would fix the issue. :/

You have two hands.... use them. Modern rifles aren't heavy enough to worry about holding it up with your firing hand. In fact, new military rifles are designed so you can use the charging handle with your support arm anyway.

The Ar15/M16 is awkward to use the charging handle regardless, but it's ambidextrous.

The best advice though, is forget your comfortable arm to shoot with. Shoot on the side, whichever eye is dominate. That's why I shoot lefty, it avoids a huge headache. You get used to it pretty quickly. Using your non dominate eye however, is something you won't get used to.
  • savages_vipersavages_viper Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    get a marlin 39a lever action or one of those discontinued ruger ones that takes 10/22 magazines they are both lefty freindly
  • edited June 2011
    get a marlin 39a lever action or one of those discontinued ruger ones that takes 10/22 magazines they are both lefty freindly

Yes, get a Marlin 39a, have fun sticking 22 rounds in a tube and having to unscrew it and screw it back in every time you reload

But at least you'll look like a cowboy

5oV74.jpg
  • edited June 2011
    LOL fattys back
    edited June 2011
    LOL fattys back

Oh joy... :facepalm:
  • JMayneJMayne Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    I ended up getting the CZ 455 in a righty bolt for the accuracy. The factory group on that thing was intense. It's light enough that I can run the bolt with my right hand. It's not ideal, but it works. Prone shooting with it is painful at best though.
    edited June 2011
    JMayne wrote: »
    I ended up getting the CZ 455 in a righty bolt for the accuracy. The factory group on that thing was intense. It's light enough that I can run the bolt with my right hand. It's not ideal, but it works. Prone shooting with it is painful at best though.

CZ makes very very good rifles these days.

Honestly though, as another that shoot's lefty, dont worry too much.

There is a reason our current military rifle has the charging handle on top.

Even on bolts, the new teaching is to leave your shooting hand and charge with the other. Which works in our southpaw favor.

Don't worry brother. Shoot what is comfortable. Not what someone tells you. Just make sure you're shooting with your dominant eye. if not switch.

I'm a righty, but I switched in the Army due to my dominant eye is left. I will say I shoot expert constantly now, just takes getting comfortable.
  • edited June 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    CZ makes very very good rifles these days.

Honestly though, as another that shoot's lefty, dont worry too much.

There is a reason our current military rifle has the charging handle on top.

Even on bolts, the new teaching is to leave your shooting hand and charge with the other. Which works in our southpaw favor.

Don't worry brother. Shoot what is comfortable. Not what someone tells you. Just make sure you're shooting with your dominant eye. if not switch.

I'm a righty, but I switched in the Army due to my dominant eye is left. I will say I shoot expert constantly now, just takes getting comfortable.
    Judging by your post quality, your dominant eye is brown.
    edited June 2011
    Judging by your post quality, your dominant eye is brown.

You really just need booted... ..

>......

DOT DOT DOT
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    hey about consider dropping a .22.

get a mans gun!
  • savages_vipersavages_viper Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    hey about consider dropping a .22.

get a mans gun!

yeah fuck ecnomical practice

one think i know is that the next gun i get is going to be a .22lr kit for my 1911 or one of those old smith and wesson kit guns in .22 or a police positive in .22

if i could afford it i would get another walther pp this time in .22 if they didint cost like 900 dollars theres nothing like shooting all day and spending under 20 bucks
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    CZ guns are nice but pricey...

Ruger 10/22 is my favorite .22 rifle. If you don't plan on modding, get the stainless model. If you are going to mod, get the cheapie and add as you go. It is one of the most customizable guns in existence, and you can literally build an entire "10/22" without a single Ruger part. Combined with an Alangator TriMag, you'll be rockin...

As for .22 handguns, my favorite is the Ruger MKIII stainless with bull barrel. I completely gutted mine and replaced all innards with Volquarten upgrades and added their molded grips and a scope. I can fire the entire 10 round magazine in just over 3 seconds. I can also put the shittiest ammo in it and it NEVER misfires (titanium firing pin upgrade - keep the stock bolt spring). Total cost is around $600-$750 depending on how much you mod it...