Computer de-evolution: Features that lost the evolutionary war

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
Today's computers offer processing power, speed, storage, Internet connectivity, display size and quality, and other capabilities that few even dreamed of ten or more years ago, certainly not at prices affordable for any developer or even consumer.

And many of the applications that run on these machines cheerfully consume these cycles, network megabits per second and gigabytes of RAM and storage.

But there are some things they don't do that the old, slow, often command-line-intead-of-GUI-oriented applications did.

Ancient

It's discusses pretty old things. I liked the scroll function on page two. It would bw awesome if that could be replicated in some way.

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    If you want a text editor that splits into windows on the screen like that, run Linux or get a shell account and use emacs or vim or something.

This idiot misses customizable keyboard shortcuts? I'm sure there are several applications for it, plus if he ran Linux he could just use ratpoison.

If you want F-keys on the left and control where caps lock goes, get an IBM Model F. I have caps lock remapped to ctrl, by the way. It's sexy.

You can already "reprogram the locations of the CTRL, ALT, and CAPS LOCK keys."
    the convenience of DOS's CONTROL-C and CONTROL-Q "which could kill an accidentally triggered program, along with the Unix Control-C and kill -9 <pid> for command line Unix.

MS-DOS Command Prompt operations can be control-C'd. Also:
    tasklist | findstr SearchString
    taskkill /im whatever.exe
    taskkill /pid 1234

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    ^Winner? I think so.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    The second half about scrolling and stuff is true though; I've never heard of that before. :P