Duke Nukem Forever Is Finally Finished

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
After 14 years of development hell, the perpetually delayed shooter Duke Nukem Forever is finished and off to the manufacturing plant, developer Gearbox Software and publisher 2K Games said Tuesday.

Barring any catastrophes or a world-ending rapture, Duke Nukem will make his long-awaited return June 14 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. A demo will be made available June 3, but only for customers who preorder the game, which marks the return of the profanely funny tough guy character after more than a decade in limbo.

First announced in 1997, Duke Nukem Forever became the videogame industry’s longest-running joke, a boondoggle of a project that encountered endless delays and won yearly Vaporware Awards from Wired.com. Although the project seemed dead for good when creator 3D Realms laid off the bulk of its staff in 2009, Gearbox soon took over and announced it would release the game in 2011.

Though it was a shock to nobody when Gearbox and 2K delayed Duke Nukem Forever again this March, the once-king of all vaporware would now appear to be on the verge of relinquishing his crown. (Should this happen, we nominate Final Fantasy Versus XIII, announced five years ago at E3 2006 and still not available, as the successor to the throne — unless you can think of a game with a longer development cycle. Remember, L.A. Noire finally came out.)

Rest assured that this isn’t some big practical joke. We’ve played Duke Nukem Forever. The game actually exists. And barring 2K Games breaking into the manufacturing plant and destroying all the discs, it’s really going to come out.

via

Comments

• MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited May 2011
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Finally!!! Pity about 3D Realms though....
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited May 2011
    True about 3D Realms, but at least a decent company has completed it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Man, CUM GET SOME!
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited May 2011
    Looking forward to this on June 10th :thumbsup:
  • GoldenVGoldenV Regular
    edited June 2011
    I reckon it'll be average at best, but im guna have to buy it anyway just because it is Duke Nukem Forever.
  • ocelotocelot Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    Cool. Duke Nukem's character is based somewhat loosely on Roddy Piper's character in the film "They Live" for anyone that didn't know.
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited June 2011
    My fond memories of Duke 3D have been raped by this game :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    MrBenn wrote: »
    My fond memories of Duke 3D have been raped by this game :(

It can't be that bad :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Torrents:
    http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2658931/002130706434/

You may face some issues trying to run it.
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited June 2011
    Dfg wrote: »

I'm afraid it is :(

On the final octaking battle and had to drop it down from normal to easy...and still can't beat it...HUGE difficulty spike!

Crap graphics, awful gameplay...and only Duke nostalgia keeping me going so far. If I can't get through this next bit after dropping it down to easy, I'm gonna trade it back in tmrw. BIG let down :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    MrBenn wrote: »
    I'm afraid it is :(

On the final octaking battle and had to drop it down from normal to easy...and still can't beat it...HUGE difficulty spike!

Crap graphics, awful gameplay...and only Duke nostalgia keeping me going so far. If I can't get through this next bit after dropping it down to easy, I'm gonna trade it back in tmrw. BIG let down :(

Oh well :(
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited June 2011
    Dfg wrote: »

From what I've heard, it is pretty garbage. They are relying on gimmicks to hide awful game play.

Sad, but honestly. The Duke games I owned, were the first few side scrollers on DOS.

AAA Titles are just getting to greedy. I was getting my panties all wet of BF3, but it seems like they are diviying up DLC content for multiple retailers. DICE, is a great studio, EA however, is a greedy awful, selfish publisher.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited June 2011
    People think it's bad because for all the 14 years since DnF was announced, people think it has been worked on non-stop.

People with their silly minds have ruined this game. I still love it though.

IT'S THE FUCKING DUKE.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess this must be 1995 or something where we still give a fuck about Duke Nukem
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited June 2011
    im not going to buy this game just based on general principle. I will torrent it, burn it to a CD and then piss on the CD and break it. fuckin vaporware isn't gonna fool me.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    Finally! I pre-ordered this in 1998!!
  • NecrosisNecrosis New Arrival
    edited June 2011
    Finally! I pre-ordered this in 1998!!

I heard that they will honour all preorders no matter what time you put it in
    could be pretty lulzy if you rocked up with an old receipt
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited June 2011
    Played this the other day. Sorry bros - they might as well have named this "Call of Dukey: Modern Whorefare" for all the originality it has.

It's Duke alright, but it plays nothing like DN3D. Lame jokes that where funny a decade ago are plentiful, as is the virtual booty (no shit, chicks all over this game).