Modern Alphabet?

HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
edited June 2011 in Life
Well the Latin Alphabet is pretty shitty because all of the characters are pointless and the asian alphabets are shitty too. I don't even want to look at what africans use to write if they even have any written languages.

So I took the liberty of making my own alphabet that has letters with a purpose. It's basically just the western alphabet with more significant characters. Enjoy,

YouTube - Logical Latin Aphabet

Comments

• HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    You should also check out my new number set. It blows base 10 out.

YouTube - Base 117 math symbology
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited June 2011
    I've seen this before. I call shenanigans :facepalm:
    edited June 2011
    No I am the creator, maybe I posted it on cocklet or something
  • GoldenVGoldenV Regular
    edited June 2011
    Slice wrote: »
    I've seen this before. I call shenanigans :facepalm:

Fo real.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Haha, thats pretty awesome :) Like hieroglyphics of the Egyptians I guess, using symbols instead of letters.
    edited June 2011
    Haha, thats pretty awesome :) Like hieroglyphics of the Egyptians I guess, using symbols instead of letters.

Actually I consider these to be letters instead of symbols. My characters actually have order and pattern rather than seemingly random lines in the current alphabets.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    It's fucking stupid.
  • OutbackOutback Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    OK now do it in running writing?

@Dakt, it's no more stupid than the imperial system (Inch, foot, pound, gallon, etc) just different to what we have now.

The current system has evolved over many years to make it simpler. In most words your brain does not piece together all the letters, it knows the shape of the words and the first letter. This writing system would not have the same effect, all the letters are roughly the same height and shape.

The crurnet syetsm hsa eovlevd oerv....
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually I consider these to be letters instead of symbols. My characters actually have order and pattern rather than seemingly random lines in the current alphabets.
    Letters ARE symbols. I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Outback wrote: »
    OK now do it in running writing?

@Dakt, it's no more stupid than the imperial system (Inch, foot, pound, gallon, etc) just different to what we have now.

The imperial system is stupid and metric is far superior however since the lettering system has remained the same for years, what is the point of changing it. measurement is different as it was made simpler mathematically and makes more sense. changing our alphabet wont make anything simpler, if anything having to learn a new alphabet will be more difficult.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    The alphabet in the OP isn't any less pointless or stupid than the alphabet we use now. It just adds on lines in correspondence with our arbitrarily-ordered alphabet. If some sense had been put into it, it would grow in complexity in order of most to least used letters. The more common letters would be simpler and faster to write. This is a good idea for obvious reasons.
  • OutbackOutback Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    The imperial system is stupid and metric is far superior however since the lettering system has remained the same for years, what is the point of changing it. measurement is different as it was made simpler mathematically and makes more sense. changing our alphabet wont make anything simpler, if anything having to learn a new alphabet will be more difficult.

Oh yeah the imperial system is shit, should have worded that better.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited June 2011
    I see the logic in how you formed the symbols of the alphabet, but I don't see how that would help account for the shortcomings of the Latin alphabet when applied to other languages. Personally, I believe that the Latin alphabet can be quite useful when adapted to the language it's used for, I've just always preferred syllabic scripts such as Japanese kana for some odd reason. I've invented a number of different writing systems, the latest was mainly for aesthetic purposes, but it also was made to overcome some of the shortcomings of the base Latin alphabet in that there were letters for different vowel and consonant sounds that would normally not be differentiated between using the Latin alphabet.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    I think a phoneme- and syllable-based alphabet could be fun to play with. Less ambiguity as to pronunciation, and the increased complexity would present a lovely challenge.

That is, primarily syllabic, with characters for syllables, likely V and CV as in Japanese, with perhaps some sort of diacritic marks to alter the phonemes.