Rimfire Jams

VesemVesem Semo-Regulars
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
So, recently I purchased a .22 LR mainly to go out and fire cheaply. When I went out I was very disappointed with the number of failures to ejects I was having. I was never able to fire through a full 10 round magazine without a jam. Is there any way to improve the performance on these?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Can I have some product information please, like pictures etc.
  • VesemVesem Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, yah that may be helpful. The gun is a bersa firestorm 22.
    search%3Fq%3Dbersa%2Bfirestorm%2B22%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D994%26bih%3D668%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=695&vpy=284&dur=992&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=92&ty=133&page=1&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0
    The ammo that I was trying is Winchester 36 GR Plated Hollow Point.
    edited May 2011
    Pretty much identical to this only with a different trigger housing. bersa-thunder-22-22-lr.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    Try using some different pellets. Also make sure that there's no damage to the barrel or any seals on the gun. My friend had this problem and had to have the barrel re-drilled or something.
    edited May 2011
    Thank you.
  • edited May 2011
    Sometimes the pellets you use might be shitty quality, which can ruin the gun or cause jams. Definitely try changing them :thumbsup: Also, if possible you should look down the barrel and see if there are any obstructions in there. When my friend's gun jammed, there was an obvious mark inside the barrel where the pellets kept getting stuck.
  • edited May 2011
    :facepalm: Sorry OP, I read your first post completely wrong and thought you were talking about a C02 pistol which fired 22 pellets... I guess you should just listen to McBoozer.
    edited May 2011
    lol, it's all good Trx100. I'm still thinking the problem might be somewhere with the ammo though. I tried giving it a good cleaning last time before I took it out and still had the same problem. Guess I'll have to wait till next weekend to try that out though.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a Walther PK .22 that jams like crazy on certain ammo. Mind you that's a pretty decent gun.

.22's are very very dirty rounds. Mainly because their bullets are not jacketed, and the powders are quite cheap.

What type of "jam" are you experiencing. It matters quite a bit.

A FTE(failure to extract/eject) could be a bad extractor/poorly cut ejection port, slow lock up.

A FTF(Failure to feed) generally is a hang up on the feed ramps of the chamber, a shitty mag. If that's the case, polish them down with some wet 2k git paper, and always try different magazines.

Fail to fire's are more common in rimfire than any other cartridges. Usually a squib sounds very under powered, and you obviously will not hit your target. Make sure your barrel is clear before going again. My suggestion is to have it to a smith to have it checked for minute cracks if you realize you fired the wrong round in it. , CHECK THE BARREL If a squib is in there, you could loose a finger or an eye. Just be safe.

Safety is always key. You don't have to depend on the weapon to live, if it does something weird, get it checked out.

You're not a stranger. My brother loaded a 5.45 round in my AR mag, and I didn't realize it until I fired it. No good. My gun/barrel was safe, but I got it checked. It loaded fine and shot, and he was young and didn't notice, but if you get a heavy round, you can pretty much kill your face goodbye.

BE CAREFUL

If you get a weird failure, PM or Email me, or hit Thehighroad.org. Don't subject yourself to bodily mutilation. I have a buddy that is missing a finger due to a suib .50. Don't be a retard.
  • savages_vipersavages_viper Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    try some cci stinger its a little bit higher velocity and copper plated as well it cycles some guns that otherwise are finiky
    edited June 2011
    try some cci stinger its a little bit higher velocity and copper plated as well it cycles some guns that otherwise are finiky

Yeah forgot to mention this, :thumbsup:

High velocity ammo cycles auto .22lr actions better and harder. Good call SavageV. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also you might just want to experiment with different ammo's/loads. I used to have a FAL, and it was picky as shit with ammunition. My Marlin60 eats anything nearly. But a lot of Ruger 10/22's can be picky from what I hear. Luckily .22lr is cheap as hell as it is.
  • edited June 2011
    HI VEL COPPER PLATED ROUNDS YOU FUCKING CHODE
    otherwise enjoy your manual repeater
    edited June 2011
    HI VEL COPPER PLATED ROUNDS YOU FUCKING CHODE
    otherwise enjoy your manual repeater

Don't you back sass me, woman! :angry: Or I'll send you back to where you went.... I wish.... :o
  • edited June 2011
    Also, if the gun is in its breakin period, AKA brand fucking new and you haven't put a lot of round through it. It will jam and such, just keep putting rounds through it and it will loosen up and work just fine.

LOL
    break in period is a myth, OP needs to stop buying shitty walmart brick
    unless the feed ramp is fucked, which given Bersa quality would not surprise me
    edited June 2011
    LOL
    break in period is a myth, OP needs to stop buying shitty walmart brick
    unless the feed ramp is fucked, which given Bersa quality would not surprise me

Most .22lr auto's should eat walmart brick. My 1960's Marlin60 eats Federal bulk just fine. It's a damn .22lr, I'm not going to pay for fancy ammo either.

"Break in" periods, are usually less immense than gun culture thinks- but it does have some effect. On the feed ramps as you said, the gas/recoil system, and general loosening of metal fittings.

Also get good magazines. I have a Rock Island 1911 .45, and I was having problems with failure to feeds. I looked up what the deal was, and apparently while the pistol is actually very decent quality, the magazines are shit. I got a few GI mags, and lo and behold, I never get a jam.

As I said before though, the problem with .22lr is the tiny casing, Sometimes they don't fully exit the ejection port.

I wish the guy would come back and say what the shit is up.
  • edited June 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Most .22lr auto's should eat walmart brick. My 1960's Marlin60 eats Federal bulk just fine. It's a damn .22lr, I'm not going to pay for fancy ammo either.
    Forgive me for not being clear. Because of reduced barrel length and in OP's case increased weight of the pistol's full slide vs. a rifle's exceedingly small and lightweight bolt, .22lr Pistols require more powerful ammunition than .22lr rifles.
    "Break in" periods, are usually less immense than gun culture thinks- but it does have some effect. On the feed ramps as you said, the gas/recoil system, and general loosening of metal fittings.
    AFAIK the Bersa .22 is a direct blowback, it's certainly not going to gave any problems with it's recoil system that will be sorted out by firing, or anything short of repair/replacement because of the fact it's simply a spring wrapped around a barrel. If he's having FTEs OP is not having frame/slide fit tolerance problems, unless they are too loose and allowing it to cycle before it can eject in which case firing would only exacerbate the issue.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    I was also going to suggest Federal. My S&W 22A loves Federal, and jams on EVERYTHING else. My modded Ruger MKIII will fire ANY .22 round and never jams. Depends on the gun.

A lot of .22's have issues with hollow point. I avoid it.
    edited July 2011
    Forgive me for not being clear. Because of reduced barrel length and in OP's case increased weight of the pistol's full slide vs. a rifle's exceedingly small and lightweight bolt, .22lr Pistols require more powerful ammunition than .22lr rifles.

AFAIK the Bersa .22 is a direct blowback, it's certainly not going to gave any problems with it's recoil system that will be sorted out by firing, or anything short of repair/replacement because of the fact it's simply a spring wrapped around a barrel. If he's having FTEs OP is not having frame/slide fit tolerance problems, unless they are too loose and allowing it to cycle before it can eject in which case firing would only exacerbate the issue.

Fatty... For fucks sake, I respect this post. But don't take it to your head, knob gobbler.

But you are correct. Nearly all .22lr are blow back, which doesn't hold up in centerfire weapons in equal weight.

But I'm not sure what the point of what you're saying though? Explain it please? I have a PPK Walther .22 that will only fire with high velocity rounds. To cycle the action. Obviously. If that's the problem then well... a very simple solution. If not, well shit. Generally .22 weapons are VERY simple in comparison to centerfires.

I'm confident that either fatty or I am able to suggest what is wrong. rather than fix mind you. We are both quite intelligent, even though fattits likes to stoke my angry side. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Fatty... For fucks sake, I respect this post. But don't take it to your head, knob gobbler.

But you are correct. Nearly all .22lr are blow back, which doesn't hold up in centerfire weapons in equal weight.

But I'm not sure what the point of what you're saying though? Explain it please? I have a PPK Walther .22 that will only fire with high velocity rounds. To cycle the action. Obviously. If that's the problem then well... a very simple solution. If not, well shit. Generally .22 weapons are VERY simple in comparison to centerfires.

I'm confident that either fatty or I am able to suggest what is wrong. rather than fix mind you. We are both quite intelligent, even though fattits likes to stoke my angry side. :)

On a side note, what do you feed your P22? I may have one in my immediate future.