Alcohol Tolerance

edited July 2011 in Man Cave
How long does it take for alcohol tolerance to drop back down to baseline again? I've been drinking quite regularly lately, and it's obviously had some effect on how tolerant I am to it because when I tried getting drunk with my friends the other night, it just wasn't happening. I achieved a slight buzz, but usually that amount of alcohol would have gotten me totally drunk on a normal day.

So, how long do I have to wait before my alcohol tolerance drops back to normal again?

Comments

• Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    I use to be a very heavy drinker my first year of college. I started smoking weed regularly the summer after my first year and in about 3 months I was a total light weight.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2011
    I'd give it at least a week or two
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2011
    ^that. i've taken two weeks off before.. then i got drunk pretty easily after that.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeh, a week or two. Five weeks to be 99% clean.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    The best way, IMO to lose tolerance is through years of hard drinking, blackouts and liver abuse. Eventually your liver due to damage won't be able to process alcohol like it used to and even a small amount will get you FUCKED UP. Fuck yea liver damage.
  • edited July 2011
    just start taking medication.... mine cut me down to about a third of my prime. Wheeeeeeeeee
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    If you can manage to stop for a few weeks, then you probably didn't have much of a tolerance anyways. I drink everyday. Sometimes I'll drink a few beers and not even catch a buzz. I don't feel anything until I start to get drunk.
  • edited July 2011
    ^ It's definitely not a massive tolerance but it's something, and it does get annoying sometimes. When I'm at the pub I can drink pint after pint and still be sober enough to play pool/darts though, which is good :D
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    ^ It's definitely not a massive tolerance but it's something, and it does get annoying sometimes. When I'm at the pub I can drink pint after pint and still be sober enough to play pool/darts though, which is good :D

I've got a natural tolerance to everything. I've been able to kill a fifth of vodka since i was 18
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Try a Curb Slammer. Drink half a forty of high gravity and then take a four loko and pour it in the forty bottle. Try to finish it in under 20-30 minutes. Fcuks ouy uop! lol
  • edited July 2011
    I've got a natural tolerance to everything. I've been able to kill a fifth of vodka since i was 18

Not all that impressive; not trying to condescend but I used to be able to drink moar when i was 15/16... Now not so much ell oh ell. Last few days I've been using booze to cure my hunger pangs hahaha
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    Just take shots of this and you wont have to worry about any tolerance.

12007.jpg
  • MordFustangMordFustang Regular
    edited July 2011

I used to kill fifths of 151 by myself when I was 16. Of course I was stealing 5 or 6 bottles every weekend so my tolerance was that of a 400 pound grizzly bear.

I've definitely learned it's about quality not quantity now... In most cases.
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I like how this thread has turned into a dick measuring contest. :facepalm:
    edited July 2011
    I'm not bragging, I wish I was a lightweight...
  • edited July 2011
    Losing all tolerance is awesome. You get drunk on much less, you pay less to have a good time, and you still have lots of alcohol left over for next time! Good stuff if you ask me. The only problem is, you can't drink people under the table at parties :(
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2011
    the amount i have drank in my lifetime would make any true alcoholic proud. and i'm not done..
  • edited July 2011
    Just drink more to compensate...
  • 0000000000 Regular
    edited July 2011
    google: subutex
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited July 2011
    ^ is good shit. I love it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    just start taking medication.... mine cut me down to about a third of my prime. Wheeeeeeeeee

This ;) 3 bottles of wine and a load of codeine went down...well...it stayed down, and so did I :hai: I have a booze binge about once a month. Enough time for tolerance to go, although my metabolism is shit hot fast.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm suprised nobody said this. Don't eat before you drink. You'll get drunk way faster and cheaper. That's what I do anyway.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2011
    Id guess about a week, seems to be that way with most substances.
  • edited July 2011
    ^ most substances are different; for example weed has several drops in tolerance depending on if you stop for 24 hours, or several weeks, or several months.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2011
    Typically 1-3 weeks depending on how hard you were using it before you quit. Let's say you were drinking hard for a few months. If you stop for a week you'll notice a drop in tolerance. If you stop for 2 weeks you'll notice a bigger drop in tolerance. I'd venture to say that after about a month of no alcohol, no matter your drinking habits, your tolerance should be back to your "zero" level. I dunno how it works for severe alcoholics, but for the majority of people if you abstain for 2-3 weeks you should be back to your "zero" level.

I notice a drop in tolerance if I don't drink for a week. Usually my tolerance doesn't drop a lot until I've stopped drinking for 2+ weeks. My tolerance also drops if I don't drink much, say 1-3 drinks a few times a week. My tolerance goes up when I start drinking 5-7 days/week and I'm drinking liquor. Drinking liquor seems to make my tolerance go up faster than when I drink beer. Lately I've been drinking half a bottle of tequila and not feeling much. I decided to lay off for a while.

Your liver doesn't have the tolerance your brain does, so even though you need 3/4 a bottle to feel anything, your liver processes that shit just like when you need 4 shots to feel it. So do yourself a favor once your tolerance gets too high - lay off for a week and then you won't need as much booze, saving you money and helping your liver.