Need a reliable VPN service

MrFriendlyFace2MrFriendlyFace2 Semo-Regulars
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
Currently looking for a reliable VPN service. Good upload and download speeds are a must as well as the provider not snitching on me. Some VPNs out there will just blatantly rat out their customers. If they are so willing to hand over the information, then what is the point of having the service in the first place? Might as well go on the internet raw dog at that point than waste cash on an untrustworthy company.

So far I'm thinking I'll give black logic a go since I've heard good comments about them from a pall but I want to see what you guys suggest.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    I use StrongVPN and have never had one problem with it in almost two years. Plus you can change what city/country you are coming from.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    How do you know they won't give up your source IP to the feds? Do you pay them anonymously (pre-paid amex, etc)?
  • edited July 2011
    TDR has spoken about his VPN before a couple times, and it sounded pretty good. Check it out though, who knows. Also, don't use your source IP to connect to it! Steal WiFi from a neighbor or something before connecting to it as you never know how trustworthy VPNs actually are.
  • MrFriendlyFace2MrFriendlyFace2 Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    TDR has spoken about his VPN before a couple times, and it sounded pretty good. Check it out though, who knows. Also, don't use your source IP to connect to it! Steal WiFi from a neighbor or something before connecting to it as you never know how trustworthy VPNs actually are.

I've tried connecting to neighbor's wireless internet. Unfortunately it seems most people have WEP encryption nowadays and Google presented nothing useful for cracking it. In the mean time I suppose public internet spots could add an extra layer of security.

Now here's my problem with StrongVPN, along with most other services out there.
    BOC may disclose information, including but not limited to, information concerning a client, a transmission made using our network, or a web site, in order to comply with a court order, subpoena, summons, discovery request, warrant, statute, regulation, or USA governmental request. BOC assumes no obligation to inform the client that client information has been provided and in some cases may be prohibited by law from giving such notice.

If they're so willing to hand the information over, then what's the benefit of choosing them over Tor?
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    To crack WEP you can use Backtrack and aircrack-ng with a wifi card that supports promiscuous mode (there are a few USB ones, or check out old DLink PCMCIA Atheros cards). It's easy and fun. I'll post a guide I have if I can dig it up.

Most VPN services will give up your info, so I avoid them...

Although deep down I think it's fucked up to use someone else's wifi to hack, they are the dumb fucks who didn't bother securing it (open, WEP, etc), so I guess shit happens. Besides, when the feds raid they will quickly realize that no one in the household knows shit about hacking. You could use public wifi hotspots, but watch out for cams.

Use someone else's net, far from home, with TOR and/or proxy chaining. I would say 80% of corporations and 99% of small businesses don't invest enough into network security and rarely check their logs, so dont' be too scared to experiment.
  • MrFriendlyFace2MrFriendlyFace2 Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    To crack WEP you can use Backtrack and aircrack-ng with a wifi card that supports promiscuous mode (there are a few USB ones, or check out old DLink PCMCIA Atheros cards). It's easy and fun. I'll post a guide I have if I can dig it up.

Most VPN services will give up your info, so I avoid them...

Although deep down I think it's fucked up to use someone else's wifi to hack, they are the dumb fucks who didn't bother securing it (open, WEP, etc), so I guess shit happens. Besides, when the feds raid they will quickly realize that no one in the household knows shit about hacking. You could use public wifi hotspots, but watch out for cams.

Use someone else's net, far from home, with TOR and/or proxy chaining. I would say 80% of corporations and 99% of small businesses don't invest enough into network security and rarely check their logs, so dont' be too scared to experiment.
    Is there a way to do it with Windows?

Edit: I found a good guide for hacking wep passwords with backtrack after some googling. After thinking about it I've decided to install backtrack to a USB thumbdrive and crack the passwords from there. Backtrack actually looks really useful, looking forward to the fun I can have with this. The guide I found is approximately one year old though and I can't find a newer one so I'm just worried about it being out of date.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Only 1 year old is fine... WEP hacking pretty much hasn't changed much during the last few years. I found my guide 3 years ago. Good luck!

BTW, WEP hacking from Windows is a pain and almost always requires specialty drives to be installed. Don't bother...
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2011
    Try Anapnea. We protect members' privacy as well as humanly possible (i.e. no up and cooperating with law enforcement) and we're hosted in France, if that gives you an idea of how things might go for you legally. SSH tunneling is free (but we don't give accounts only for that) and VPN access is available at $4/mo. I'm told we have gigabit uplink but I don't admin it all, unsure how to check.
  • edited July 2011
    If you're interested in WEP cracking then check out the guide posted on Aircrack-ng. It's fucking awesome, although one of the bullet points is in the wrong order or something if I remember correctly. I was going to write my own guide on how to crack WEP keys as it's super easy, but it's such a popular subject that there are already millions of guides out there.

Oh yeah, and if you're a nub with Backtrack then you're going to want to know how to start networking before you do anything ;) Open up a terminal and type in..

/etc/init.d/wicd start

Hit enter, and then you can use Wicd to connect to a network if you want to.