How much did you spend on your rig

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So how much did it cost you to build/buy your rig. I worked out that it cost me $2766.57 to build mine.

Comments

• PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    Wow, that's a fuck load. Mine cost me $400. It was originally $800 but I got it on Cyber Monday(the internet equivalent to Black Friday) and used a coupon code I found on retailmenot.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Things are expensive as fuck here.
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited July 2011
    I worked out that it cost me $2766.57 to build mine.

What are the specifications?
    edited July 2011
    Where is "Here"?
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited July 2011
    ^It's written right there. Under "Location".

"Hamilton, New Zealand"
    edited July 2011
    Herp Derp.

That sucks. You should post specs like cloudcat said.
    edited July 2011
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz.

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6970.

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W.

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H.

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM.

Optical Drives: LG DVD drive, LG Blu-Ray drive.

Soundcard: Realtek onboard audio with Dolby 7.1 surround support.

Miscellaneous Items: Asus DVB-T TV tuner.
    edited July 2011
    Oh yea, Shits all over my rig :P
  • edited July 2011
    Mine cost me £600 to build, part by part in my bedroom. It was a very enjoyable process, and the computer is extremely reliable! My monitor cost me £120 on top of that.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I built one for a friend that cost £1,500. Its pretty awesome too. Intel i7 processor which was top of the benchmark list at that time (or second anyway), and a graphics card which was also top of the list :)
  • edited July 2011
    That's cool. I've got an overclocked 3Ghz Quad Core and a GTX 260 in my computer, I love them both :D My GTX 260 is the Freezer X2 edition which features copper piping, a heatsink and 2 orange fans :D Looks awesome, keeps nice and cold all the time. Thanks to the heatsink on my computer, I can also keep my OC'd processor at 30 degrees even on full load. It's nuts.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    $12000.

Intel Core i7 Extreme @ 3.33 GHz, overclock capable
    16 GB RAM
    4x ATI Radeon HD 6990 graphics cards, 4GB VRAM each.
    3x Seagate Barracuda 3TB at 7200 RPM
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200 W power supply (also mostly keep my graphics cards offline unless I'm actually working. I'm a graphics artist and do heavy 3D rendering.)
    some Thermaltake case
    8 28" 1080p monitors hooked up in eyefinity.

To be fair, I didn't pay a single cent, I got it from my employer for 5 years outstanding service when they were about to replace their current render rig out :)
  • edited July 2011
    Jesus christ, that's a MONSTER of a computer. Got any pictures? I'd techno-cum everywhere if I saw that.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Jesus christ, that's a MONSTER of a computer. Got any pictures? I'd techno-cum everywhere if I saw that.

Yeah, but I only have pictures of the actual unit, right now. No hooked-up pictures. Again, it's in shitty conditions because I really don't give a fuck about my place, but it still looks really retro-sexy. Let me find it for ya'.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    i "found" mine.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    $350

MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2 GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4890
    G-Skill 4 GB DDR3 2000 MHz
    Coolermaster HAF 922 case
    Corsair CX430 power supply
    Western Digital Caviar Green 500 GB and 1 TB

and some other random stuff like fans, disc drives, and network cards
  • edited July 2011
    Still waiting on that picture, falcon ;)
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    $12000.

16 GB RAM
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200 W power supply (also mostly keep my graphics cards offline unless I'm actually working. I'm a graphics artist and do heavy 3D rendering.)
    some Thermaltake case

To be fair, I didn't pay a single cent, I got it from my employer for 5 years outstanding service when they were about to replace their current render rig out :)

Dream fucking computer mate. Damn you and your ability to afford everything I want in my computer.
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz.

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6970.

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W.

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H.

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM.

Optical Drives: LG DVD drive, LG Blu-Ray drive.

Soundcard: Realtek onboard audio with Dolby 7.1 surround support.

Miscellaneous Items: Asus DVB-T TV tuner.

I am sorry but I just feel like you over spent a little bit on this. I mean it is a great computer but with those parts I would learn how to build at home. that shouldnt have been that expensive.
    edited July 2011
    I need to find a picture, because I'm not pulling that shit out of the theft-proof case to take a picture for you guys. Cables like a motherfucker + fans all over the whole place.

EDIT: This isn't a "gaming PC", I use this to render 3D movies. I'm a graphics artist and I really do a lot more than just the art. My actual "my" gaming rig is an Alienware M11x with an i3 + the standard GFX card + 4GB RAM. This is for srs bzns. Also, remember that I didn't drop a dollar on the "monster PC". It's a work-only thing.
    edited July 2011
    jarkof wrote: »
    Dream fucking computer mate. Damn you and your ability to afford everything I want in my computer.

I am sorry but I just feel like you over spent a little bit on this. I mean it is a great computer but with those parts I would learn how to build at home. that shouldn't have been that expensive.

I did build it at home, I would never buy a prebuilt machine as it would have been twice as expensive. NZ is bad for high prices on electronic goods its all to do with the bullshit importation costs. Compared to some this is what would be considered cheap in this country. Then again everything is expensive as most things are imported, the cost of living is fucking ridiculous. In the US I could have got the TV card for $28, here I paid $130 for it and it was on sale.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    I did build it at home, I would never buy a prebuilt machine as it would have been twice as expensive. NZ is bad for high prices on electronic goods its all to do with the bullshit importation costs. Compared to some this is what would be considered cheap in this country. Then again everything is expensive as most things are imported, the cost of living is fucking ridiculous. In the US I could have got the TV card for $28, here I paid $130 for it and it was on sale.

that makes a hell of a lot more sense. sorry that was simply a distasteful assumption that you were buying things directly. so I was basing it of my own knowledge of what things cost near me. and that made no sense. but know I get it. sorry to jump to conclusions.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    I stopped using desktops 5 years ago. I'm not a gamer. Here's my "rig":

Debian v6.0.2 AMD64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T400 @ 2.5Ghz (dual core).
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Intel chipset and graphics
    2 x Seagate 750GB 7200RPM 2.5" hard disk in encrypted mirror configuration (DVD-R removed and 2nd hard disk tray utilized in bay)
    4 x 9-cell batteries
    Docking station
    Viewsonic 24" LED 1080p monitor
    Logitech K750 solar keyboard
    Logitech wireless mouse
    LG Blu-Ray burner in external enclosure
    StarTech.com 4 bay external storage array in RAID 5 configuration w/ 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB hard disks (3TB usable with redundancy).

Total cost to me: $0 - work paid for it
    edited July 2011
    jarkof wrote: »
    that makes a hell of a lot more sense. sorry that was simply a distasteful assumption that you were buying things directly. so I was basing it of my own knowledge of what things cost near me. and that made no sense. but know I get it. sorry to jump to conclusions.

All good mang. I find it weird just how cheap you Americans can get stuff for, I had a few people from the US come stay here in February and they couldn't get over just how much we pay for grocery's let alone anything else.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011

All good mang. I find it weird just how cheap you Americans can get stuff for, I had a few people from the US come stay here in February and they couldn't get over just how much we pay for grocery's let alone anything else.

Yeah man. I guess I never really notice unless somebody says something. But don't worry. America is fucking up and one of our states governments just shut down. How the hell does that even happen. Anyways I don't have a rig. I have to use my phone. It is slow and shity. But it works. Even at American pricing jobs are impossible in and around my town of 1000 so eventually I will get a rig and put it on here. But don't have one right now.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    Acer laptop, cost £280 about 2 years ago. INtel Celeron 2.2G processor, came with 1g ram and I put 2 more in. I think a 2 gig stick of DDR3 cost me £25. I dont use it for anything that needs a lot of power, so it does me.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    I found mine behind a dumpster in an alley. It was a little dirty and had some dried blood on it, but I ran it through the dishwasher, its still sharp and the plunger still works.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    £100

I post on my phone.
    Got an okish laptop that the missus uses for uni work, but lost our wifi last year when the street had a power surge and the neighbours router went.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Hmm

C2D 2.4
    4GB DDR2
    965GM-S2
    CRT 17
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Seagate 1TB
    WD 320 x2
    8500GT
    TV Turner Card
    MSI Sat Card
    Audigy 2
    Asus DVD-RW
    Antec PSU 650W
    Asus Vento Casing

58600 Rs

Around $700+

It's a piece by piece built btw.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    $12000.

16 GB RAM
    some Thermaltake case

I would kill for that Rig.

I CAME HARD!
    edited July 2011
    Why are you people flipping the fuck out? It's not like I get to game or anything on it and it looks like a filthy piece of shit in the ultra-cooling case and the fans whirrr like a motherfucker. It's just a rif and it's just for rendering animation. I only ever work on it.
  • edited July 2011
    Even if you don't game on it, it's still an awesome machine to have. It's like when you put a turbo into your car - you might never use all that power but it's nice to know that you've got it ;) I dunno, I love upgrading my computer just because I can, and because it's fun.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah you have to realize that most of us cant afford to own a computer even half as nice as that. What is evidently a piece of shit do you would be amazing for me. If you dont want it I can take it off your hands.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2011
    I found mine behind a dumpster in an alley. It was a little dirty and had some dried blood on it, but I ran it through the dishwasher, its still sharp and the plunger still works.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that kind of rig when I saw this...