How Do You Deal With Mites?

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
House_Dust_Mite.jpg

Mites
, along with ticks, are small arthropods belonging to the subclass Acari (also known as Acarina) and the class Arachnida. The scientific discipline devoted to the study of ticks and mites is called acarology.

How do you deal with them?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    i've only seen one in my life.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    At totse mites are put into a special user group which is lead by the king of mites, FattyMcFailFace.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Totse Mites are basically supernatural beings. Read Jonathan Strouds books for more information.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited May 2011
    At totse mites are put into a special user group which is lead by the king of mites, FattyMcFailFace.

What the fuck is this off topic shit in my bug thread? :facepalm:
    Dfg wrote: »
    Totse Mites are basically supernatural beings. Read Jonathan Strouds books for more information.

Also, what the fuck is this off topic shit in my bug thread? :facepalm:

Are you people serious? You can't even fucking post on topic in my NOAH'S ARK thread when I'm OBVIOUSLY FUCKING TALKING ABOUT BUGS. Jesus fucking christ I even posted a HUGE ASS PICSHURE of a bug to make it blatantly clear.

Demod the rodent and remove dfg from admin position for spamming up my serious thread about bugs.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    There are different types of mites according to this URL http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig086 which looks official because it ends with a .edu :o

The site tells you what commercial products kill them too.
    edited May 2011
    Box wrote: »
    There are different types of mites according to this URL http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig086 which looks official because it ends with a .edu :o

The site tells you what commercial products kill them too.
    Thank you. I'm trying to figure out what to use to combat ticks and other types of mites that might infest my clothes and/or sleeping area when I go camping.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Well the most important prevention against mites is keeping clean. Not the easiest thing to do while camping, but I'm sure you know to keep it at the top of your priorities.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Kill them with fire
    edited May 2011
    Kill them with fire
    I don't think that's practical.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    What the fuck is this off topic shit in my bug thread? :facepalm:

Also, what the fuck is this off topic shit in my bug thread? :facepalm:

Are you people serious? You can't even fucking post on topic in my NOAH'S ARK thread when I'm OBVIOUSLY FUCKING TALKING ABOUT BUGS. Jesus fucking christ I even posted a HUGE ASS PICSHURE of a bug to make it blatantly clear.

Demod the rodent and remove dfg from admin position for spamming up my serious thread about bugs.

Chill, When it comes to Mites, they're quite common in Pakistan. Not in cities but mostly in villages. People living near Animals are most likely a harem for mites. Open long hairs with dry scalp tends to help as well.

When it comes to preventing them, you can wash your hair with a special shampoo that will kill them, using a thin comb can help filter out mites easily. Most parents usually comb their children hair in the early age using thin comb.
    edited May 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Chill, When it comes to Mites, they're quite common in Pakistan. Not in cities but mostly in villages. People living near Animals are most likely a harem for mites. Open long hairs with dry scalp tends to help as well.

When it comes to preventing them, you can wash your hair with a special shampoo that will kill them, using a thin comb can help filter out mites easily. Most parents usually comb their children hair in the early age using thin comb.

I'm not going to chill when people post blatantly off topic garbage in my serious thread in a serious forum. :facepalm:
  • HoneyBeeHoneyBee Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    This thread is so full of fail. There are several main classes within the family of mites, Prostigmata, Mesostigmata and Metastigmata to name a few.
    Most of the advice in this thread is directed towards Anoplura, or the "sucking lice" which arn't mites (for starters one is an arachnid, the other is an insect). Because, my friends, some species of mites burrow under your skin and only surface to mate and lay eggs (I think OP's photo is of Sarcoptes scabei). You would have to wash yourself pretty thoroughly to get those out. If you have that kind of mite, you would have to treat yourself with a systemic drug, and treat your environment seeing as mites can survive off host for 7-15 days (or up to 3 months in some spp. of chicken mites). The other photo is of Neotrombicularis autumnalis, a mite that is only parasitic in its larval form and tends to only affect dogs and cats.
    Actually, I wouldn't worry about mites at all, because you would have to be in close contact with animal populations to contract them and they tend to be fairly species specific. As for ticks, man the fuck up and pick them off when you find them and wear long sleeved clothing.
    Jesus kids, you've got alot to learn.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    God damnit, some vagrant squatter told me about some shit that would fuck up their exoskeleton, I cannot remember the name of it right now though, I need some too though, I swear to god termites have been biting me. I will scour the internet, after I sleep.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I'm not going to chill when people post blatantly off topic garbage in my serious thread in a serious forum. :facepalm:

Currently there is no rule about off topic posting. Perhaps you should make a thread in H&S suggesting an off topic posting infraction. Until then deal with it like everyone else does when your little rimjobs crew tear up threads left and right faggot.
    edited May 2011
    Currently there is no rule about off topic posting. Perhaps you should make a thread in H&S suggesting an off topic posting infraction. Until then deal with it like everyone else does when your little rimjobs crew tear up threads left and right faggot.
    Then stop moving threads if there's no off topic rule :facepalm:

Also get out of my thread kthx
  • edited July 2011
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I have one on my eye :(