Worst endings (Fallout 3)

BaconPieBaconPie Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I just completed Fallout 3's main quest because I was getting bored with the Wasteland Survival Guide and my god, what a dreadful, abrupt ending. It didn't even try to be epic and although I could excuse the crappy dialogue and voice acting in all the other quests, it only worsened the end.

Thank god they got the atmosphere thing right though, the derelict vaults (Vault 106 in particular) scared the shit out of me!

Comments

• LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    Try doing the borderlands ending. Terrible.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Try doing the borderlands ending. Terrible.

What happens?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Its better after you get the expansion pack.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    Its better after you get the expansion pack.

Yeah, still a bit of a shitty game though unfortunately. Just tried replaying it with a load of mods and just couldn't do it. The voice acting is terrible, bad engine, bad animations and the story is just dull once you've done it once before. Hopefully New Vegas will be better, shame it's still on the Oblivion engine though.

Other games with bad endings: First time I completed Ocarina of Time was a bit of a disappointment, pretty intense fight with Ganondorf/Ganon then it just goes black and white and you get some movie of everyone partying... eh. Seemed a bit shit to me at the time. Half Life didn't have a great ending either, suppose it was leaving it open for a sequel though. Gears of War 2 pretty much just copy and pasted the ending from Gears of War 1. Knights of the Old Republic 2 basically didn't have an ending when it was first released. That's enough for now :).
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    Super mario 64 :mad:
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    BaconPie wrote: »
    What happens?

You are searching for a "legendary treasure" called the vault. You quest because your finding the fucking fault, you are PLAYING this game, because the characters are vault hunters.

So final boss, which is unrelated to the plot, you kill it WITH EASE, and then..IT ENDS. You don't really know what the vault is and you don't even know what's inside it. The end.

Oh, and your reward? money, which is worthless in the games, and loot that can be found in the beginning of the game. Insulting.

But the game is great to play with friends, no doubt about that.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    Yeah, still a bit of a shitty game though unfortunately. Just tried replaying it with a load of mods and just couldn't do it. The voice acting is terrible, bad engine, bad animations and the story is just dull once you've done it once before. Hopefully New Vegas will be better, shame it's still on the Oblivion engine though.

Do you have the expansions? I agree the voice acting is a bit of a joke (how many people share the same voice). But after my second play through (no mods) I still like it.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    Shitty game? Sure it has it's flaws, but it won Game of the Year.. and for good reason.
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    Shitty game?

Oh no, don't get me wrong, it's a great game! I really got into the back stories and I loved reading all the data logs in the terminals. The attention to detail, the sound effects and the lighting effects when an explosion happens; it all really sucked me in. Really cool stuff.

It's just, they should have used better voice actors and stop that whole zooming into someone's face when you're talking to them. Every other old man had the same voice. All bald men talked like the head guard from Oblivion...
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    Shitty game? Sure it has it's flaws, but it won Game of the Year.. and for good reason.

Maybe I'm overly harsh on it. I did spend a few months solid playing it when it came out, maybe that's why I can't play it now, can't face replaying the story. It's a decent game but there's so many little things that drag it down. Like the inaneness of the settlements eg. Canterbury Commons supposed to be the trade hub of the DC wastes and yet there's like 4 people living there and they can't take care of a bunch of ants. The bomb in Megaton, surely the Outcasts would kill for the plutonium in that? Then say if you blow up Megaton and go to Rivet City no one gives a shit or asks what happened. Lot's of little things like that, could have been fleshed out a lot more, the connections between the settlements and the settlements themselves.

Hate the way they implemented VATS too, just makes everything a matter of opening VATS, queuing a few headshots and watching everything die in one or two hits. It worked well in turn based combat but not in a first person game; it made it ridiculously easy. Tried playing it with Fallout Wanderers Edition, not using VATS and it is a lot more fun, fights are more epic. It just about works as an FPS on the Oblivion engine though.

So yeah, a decent enough game but more of a disappointment than anything to me. I'm looking forward to New Vegas though, if Obsidian manage to make a game that isn't unplayabley buggy on release. Their writing and storylines are a lot better than Bethesda's so I have some hope.
    edited July 2010
    I agree with everything ^he^ said.
    Fallout Wanderers Edition

Should I?
    edited July 2010
    BaconPie wrote: »
    Should I?

IMO definitely. It's kind of what the hardcore mode in New Vegas will be like, fully customisable though so you can turn off things you don't like (say if you don't want to have to eat and drink). Check out this video to give you an idea of the fights, the bullet time is awesome.

And if you want to install a few mods, try this:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1098568-video-install-guide-for-fallout-3-mods/

Follow that guide, add a few mods like Arefu expanded, DC interiors and Dynamic Weather and it makes Fallout 3 about as good as it can be.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Borderlands didn't have shit for an ending, even the General Knoxx DLC didn't go anywhere.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how every bitches about Borderlands ending, like the whole game wasn't like that.

But fallout 3 of course, MW2 & FF-X
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited July 2010
    Rolf loves Fallout 3, probably because it successfully combines shooter and rpg elements while retaining a large sandbox world, it's better than Oblivion, oh Sir Rolf, stop thine blasphemy!
    Pig wrote: »
    Borderlands didn't have shit for an ending, even the General Knoxx DLC didn't go anywhere.

Rolf has to admit that Rolf did not get far enough to see the ending, Rolf found it boring, quite like playing an MMORPG with the "kill 10 rabbits" quests, then again, Rolf never found anyone on PC to play it with.
  • edited July 2010
    My fuckshit Windows 7 keeps crashing my bootlegged FO3. :mad: :mad:
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited July 2010
    The normal Fallout 3 ending was pretty terrible. It get's a bit better if you get the DLC; I think Bethesda knew that because they came out with the extended version pretty quick.

But, the world is awesome, I had a lot of fun with the VATS system, there are a ton of quests to complete, the quests don't get too boring, and their is a good amount of character customization.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    My fuckshit Windows 7 keeps crashing my bootlegged FO3. :mad: :mad:

It worked fine on mine, 64-bit too. It's not your OS.
    edited July 2010
    TLV wrote: »
    It worked fine on mine, 64-bit too. It's not your OS.

Yeah same, most likely RAM or video card.
  • edited July 2010
    You can't be serious about the voice acting. If anything they spent too much on hiring decent actors. You'v got liam neeson and fucking malcom mcdowell
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn I never beat FO3 and I just started over and started back playing.. and now this thread is making me want to quit already
    edited July 2010
    You can't be serious about the voice acting. If anything they spent too much on hiring decent actors. You'v got liam neeson and fucking malcom mcdowell

Yeah but apart from those two there's like 5 people doing every other character in the game.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but apart from those two there's like 5 people doing every other character in the game.

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually tried to do different voices for each character :facepalm:
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2010
    I've been a Fallout fanboy since the first one came out (thus the signature) so I'm kinda biased. I've had to restart my F03 char more times than I care to count because I'm trying to make the "perfect stat" char. It can be done but it's such a bitch since I'm going to special weapons and armor too.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Strife (the game) has a bad ending on the 'good' ending. Well it was an okay ending, sort of sexy. But it didn't really conclude the story or made the whole game (which was epic) feel worth it.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    Rolf has to admit that Rolf did not get far enough to see the ending, Rolf found it boring, quite like playing an MMORPG with the "kill 10 rabbits" quests, then again, Rolf never found anyone on PC to play it with.

You really didn't much miss, at all.