VB4 Upgrade

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Be advised, I would be upgrading VB3 to VB4 shortly. Right now, I am using a dummy installation on the server to see if everything would work fine. This means making a copy of current version and then backing up the DB and installing VB4. On my local system the install went well but since I didn't remove the hooks and since it's a local install I couldn't login (Cookie issue) but there weren't any conflicts.

So, hopefully in under 12 hours we might be using VB4. I will close the forums before doing anything major. This will ensure our posts don't get lost.

I will keep this thread updated. Right now, I am uploading totse DB to another DB using MyPHP, this isn't something I would prefer but I just got to use what I have.

If this fails, I will ask Vineman to do it locally for me.

Comments

• skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Have you checked to see if the mods you have installed have been ported to vb4?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Got timed out, will ask Vineman to import the DB for me. It can be done using myphpadmin because it's quite large in size and the script would time out.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    ^Thanks but I prefer the browser method, plus I am making a dummy DB which requires moving of the DB. The plan is to install this another directory and use another DB and see if everything works out. If it does only then can we upgrade it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Woo Hoo Vbookie
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    We going to select a new theme first, or use the bastardized version of this?
  • edited July 2011
    Not sure if I like the sound of Vbulletin 4, but as long as this place doesn't look anything like Totse 2 then I'll be happy.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    We're going to create a new theme on the fly. I am going to upgrade it now, I will backup the forums and take everything down. I ran the update locally and it worked quite well.

So, inb4weallcryaboutthefaggottheme.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh shi, taking screenshots right now. See you on IRC!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    I will wait for 6 more minutes, after that I will just take everything down :). I am kinda waiting to see if the damn power goes out or not.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Upgrade complete, welcome to VB4 everybody
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Dude.... When I logged on I was greatly surprised to say the least!!! I really hope when can get a nice Totse-esque theme like the last one, or otherwise there will be no point in calling this website Totse.info. Pretty awesome though, Vbulletin 4 for the win!!! :D
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    Fuckme! I can't believe it went so smoothly......What form of witchcraft is this.....get behind me satan.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    Fix the emoticons :mad:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Fix the emoticons :mad:

They're working, I am currently working on the theme. You can check the progress by using the second theme. OMG I love the editor.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    Its not the most mobile friendly.

Does the reply to thread come as a pop up sort of thing? Cause it didnt work for me so I resorted to quick reply.

Whats the reason for updating?
  • edited July 2011
    ^ I agree, the mobile side of things isn't very good as I found out last night. Don't worry though, we'll get on that one as soon as possible.

Also, the ForumRunner needs to be installed again as JarkOf can't get on the forums without it!
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    You should be able to generate a mobile style using style generator...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Forum Runner is installed and working, as for the rest. It will be implemented today.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited July 2011
    so for us newbs . what does the VB4 offer that the old one didn't?
  • Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited July 2011
    looks like crap
  • edited July 2011
    Here's a list of a few things which makes VB4 so much better than 3. The one I'm most excited about is the SEO :D

Cross-content search system providing a single interface to search across forum posts, blog entries and comments and other supported products
    Improved search performance
    A fresh design and layout making use of semantic markup and CSS styling
    An enhanced style and template system to enhance your ability to change the layout
    Controls to assist with the placement of advertising elements
    SEO features, including friendly URLs
    A centralized attachment system, allowing the sharing of attachments across products
    Widget system for single pages
    Video BBCode - Popup to the editor that allows a video url (youtube, metacafe, etc) to be input
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    CKEDITOR is probably the best reason to upgrade, can you say autosave posts?
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    ^ I agree, the mobile side of things isn't very good as I found out last night. Don't worry though, we'll get on that one as soon as possible.

Also, the ForumRunner needs to be installed again as JarkOf can't get on the forums without it!
    haha I really like how you specified me. I would like to hope that I am not the only one who uses it. oh yeah and I don't know what everyone is talking about with using this mobile. on my phone this site works far better now then it did. I don't even know if I will use forum runner anymore. it's not even notifying me properly anymore anyways.
  • edited July 2011
    Personally I think the site's mobile compatibility sucks. Text starts overlapping, things go all sorts of funny shapes and sizes, etc. I'd say it definitely needs looking at.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    When you change the theme to mobile no text overlaps. At least on my phone but I have an htc sensation with a huge screen (that if I don't root and destroy fucking htc sense now I will throw at a wall) but the posting is fucked up on mobile. Oh and speaking of sense is there a thread on it. Because I may start one. Most incredible waste of space on my phone. Widgets are cool but not compatible with Google third party apps. So it's a phone that has Google but isn't compatible with Google. Htc done fucked up. Anyways I have used vB4 and there is so much customization abilities. You can make mobile work but some shit has to be changed.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Hey, I must say its looking great :) Looks nicer than it did yesterday, and the User CP button is up! I can access it on my PSP fine too.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Hey, I must say its looking great :) Looks nicer than it did yesterday, and the User CP button is up! I can access it on my PSP fine too.

Thanks, it's not easy making these changes but I am making progress each day. Little by little we will be there.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    :mad:

What happened? or where you just checking if the smile worked? :confused:
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Looking good so far dfg, can we get a dark theme too?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    skunk wrote: »

You want it, it will be done. I will call it, THE NIGGERS THEME!
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Lol great :facepalm:
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    skunk wrote: »

I do miss the old the,me style greatly but sense we are already here and have the option to have many themes can we have a dark theme as well. Each person can choose his own theme so it would be cool. Also there has got to be a way to get a look alike to the old theme we just got to look really hard.
  • AcariAcari Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    How about you put the fucking tabs back on the side and make the place look like totse.

After that get some goddamn users and make it feel like totse.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Acari wrote: »
    How about you put the fucking tabs back on the side and make the place look like totse.

After that get some goddamn users and make it feel like totse.

How about you contribute and HELP GETTING IN THE USERS.

And stop worrying about the theme.