How can I cool down? — Totseans

How can I cool down?

The heat in my room really is getting quite unbearable, and I'm out of ideas. I've got my desk fan circulating air, the windows wide open, and I've stripped down to a pair of swimming shorts.

The main source of heat is probably my computer + dual LCD monitors, but that shit aint going anywhere.

WHAT DO?

Comments

  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ice packs.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Take a shower and don't dry off.
  • edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Take a shower and don't dry off.

    Just did this one, actually. Temporary fix, and combined with the desk fan wasn't too bad.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    The only thing you can do is try and invest in two fans. One stationary facing the window opening blowing the inside air outside and you can have another blowing in your direction at all times. It isn't going to make you feel cold neccessarily, but it helps and that's about all you can do with fans. It's kind of like setting up your room like the inside of you PC case. If you don't have air ventiliation well, that's a no-go for both PC and Room lol.
  • edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    The only thing you can do is try and invest in two fans. One stationary facing the window opening blowing the inside air outside and you can have another blowing in your direction at all times. It isn't going to make you feel cold neccessarily, but it helps and that's about all you can do with fans. It's kind of like setting up your room like the inside of you PC case. If you don't have air ventiliation well, that's a no-go for both PC and Room lol.

    Yeah, I generally use my fan in the best position possible. It's also great for a quick blast of air to cool you down though. Right now, its aimed at my feet which seems to be working well.

    The problem in here is the air flow. The windows open, but there's absolutely no wind outside. Its all stale, warm, humid air. Sucks balls.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Yeah, I generally use my fan in the best position possible. It's also great for a quick blast of air to cool you down though. Right now, its aimed at my feet which seems to be working well.

    The problem in here is the air flow. The windows open, but there's absolutely no wind outside. Its all stale, warm, humid air. Sucks balls.


    Smart, the feet is a prime spot for cooling/heating the body and losing it at the same time. The main problem seems to just be the lack of exhaust from your room to the outside. The only reason AC's function well is do to stripping inside air, cooling it down, and tossing the hot air. Not really smart in that department, but I tried to learn that shit for 2 months before I settled on a portable AC unit.
  • edited July 2010
    I really could benefit from a portable AC unit. Are they worth the money?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    My apartment has a window unit. Where I live it's 90F+ and 80%+ humidity in the summer. Granted, my apartment is fairly small, but it keeps the place cold. I also got a dehumidifier, but that's only any good combined with AC. It puts out a lot of heat, so you have to have AC or you'll just make the room hotter.

    I'd suggest getting a portable or window AC unit, and maybe another fan or two.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I really could benefit from a portable AC unit. Are they worth the money?



    I think so. I mean you could get one with half the BTU's that's a wall window unit that is better at cooling, but most are 9,000 BTU standard and I got mine from NewEgg for $287 with free shipping. It would be nice to see them at $199, but they love raping the price and they are NOT portable. Those shits are fucking heavy. Mine was 85lbs, I don't know why they just don't call it a "Wall Unit" instead of Portable because it most certainly isn't.

    It has already made this summer very tolerable and to me it's very worth it not to sweat my balls off all day or when I sleep.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    I think so. I mean you could get one with half the BTU's that's a wall window unit that is better at cooling, but most are 9,000 BTU standard and I got mine from NewEgg for $287 with free shipping. It would be nice to see them at $199, but they love raping the price and they are NOT portable. Those shits are fucking heavy. Mine was 85lbs, I don't know why they just don't call it a "Wall Unit" instead of Portable because it most certainly isn't.

    It has already made this summer very tolerable and to me it's very worth it not to sweat my balls off all day or when I sleep.

    My window unit quit working because it was so clogged with dirt/dust and whatever from never having been cleaned (thanks, landlord), but maintenance took 3 weeks to fix it. It was miserable. Having AC is worth every penny.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    chug realy cold water like so cold its almost feesing it helps 2 put alot of ise in and then drink with a straw and if u drink a good amount of freesing cold water it will make u shiver :o:o:o:o:o:o
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    I fucking hate you brandon.


    Anyways...Have two fans pointed towards you.
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010
    Have a big fan blowing air out the window, and one slightly further back blowing air towards that fan to expel. Might work?

    Also drink coffee/tea/some type of hot drink.

    It sounds counter productive, but it does cool you down, can't remember the reasoning behind it.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    First of all Go swimming if your near a beach or find a pool somewhere to swim if there is no beach. That or go to a friends house that has air conditioning.

    Second of all STFU Brandom nobody cares.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    reject wrote: »
    Also drink coffee/tea/some type of hot drink.

    It sounds counter productive, but it does cool you down, can't remember the reasoning behind it.


    Probably has to do with the fact (similar to cold water after stressful work out) that your body has to spend energy and calaries warming up or cooling down the liquid before it can process it. When your body expends energy and calories it makes you more vulnerable to the elements.

    Drinking a ton of cold water after you just worked out can cause you to feel cool outside because your body is spending energy to warm it up.

    Drinking warm fluids your body spends the same energy to cool it down so in effect your body is losing the neccessary energy to regulate your normal body temperatures because it's preoccupied with other tasks.

    Just a hypothetical theory, I know it does that for warming up cold liquid. Probably on the right track, damn where is beergoggles when you need that exercise nerd :rolleyes:
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just googled it and apparently it's bullshit :(

    Stumble lied to me :mad:
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    reject wrote: »
    I just googled it and apparently it's bullshit :(

    Stumble lied to me :mad:

    Stumble never lies, you're just not drinking something hot enough. Boiling water straight from the kettle will make you forget about the heat. Fact.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hot peppers cool you down because they make you sweat.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll sell you an air conditioner for $50. You have to come pick it up though.
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll sell you an air conditioner for $30, you gotta come pick it up though.

    From England.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck it, I'll give you one for free, you have to pick it up from your neighbors window though. Feel free to get it anytime.
  • Wooden PintsWooden Pints Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    put ur refrigr8r in ur room n leve it open n it wll kool ur room real gud :o:o:o

    the temrapter of the frige is like 25 degres so if ui leav it open it it wll be 25 degres n tha room soon :o:o:o
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    put ur refrigr8r in ur room n leve it open n it wll kool ur room real gud :o:o:o

    the temrapter of the frige is like 25 degres so if ui leav it open it it wll be 25 degres n tha room soon :o:o:o

    Get the fuck out with your brandon-esque posts.
  • Wooden PintsWooden Pints Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    mashlehash wrote: »
    Get the fuck out with your brandon-esque posts.

    Oops I thought I was still logged into brandon.
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited July 2010
    embrace it
  • NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited July 2010
    Have your cold-hearted mother sit next to you.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    A window ac is for SURE worth the money. I have a 5,000 BTU skilfully cooling my whole apartment.
  • UnwyredUnwyred Regular
    edited July 2010
    If you want to drive out to Williamsburg, Ohio, I will give you a window ac unit free of charge. I currently have three of them as well as a central air system so I don't need it at all.

    No shit, if you want it, you can have it free of charge.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    Oops I thought I was still logged into brandon.

    nise try imposter :o:o:o:o
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe put some clean clothes in the freezer, then put them on after a while.
  • edited July 2010
    Spook wrote: »
    Maybe put some clean clothes in the freezer, then put them on after a while.

    I actually love this idea. Any side effects? Like, messing up your clothes or anything.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I actually love this idea. Any side effects? Like, messing up your clothes or anything.

    ive done this. your clothes get cold, and smell like meat.

    both effects, however, are temporary.

    i would use a combination of ice cold spray bottle of water, and a fan
  • edited July 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    ive done this. your clothes get cold, and smell like meat.

    both effects, however, are temporary.

    i would use a combination of ice cold spray bottle of water, and a fan

    I've done this before, actually.


    How about filling up a bottle with water, ice and salt? This would make the ice melt but stay at freezing temperatures. Then you could spray that at you, combined with the fan, and get ultra cold.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    put ur refrigr8r in ur room n leve it open n it wll kool ur room real gud :o:o:o

    the temrapter of the frige is like 25 degres so if ui leav it open it it wll be 25 degres n tha room soon :o:o:o

    Look everybody its brandons twin. You should be ashamed to post such an abomination. Oh and as well GFY Brandon
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    Look everybody its brandons twin. You should be ashamed to post such an abomination. Oh and as well GFY Brandon

    HaHA!
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    soak a white T shirt in water then wring it out and wear it over your head with a fan blowing towards you. Or hang it on a chair or something with a fan blowing towards it to circulate the cool air around the room.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    I'm sort of thinking your only real option is to get an AC if you want MAXIMUM cool.
  • edited July 2010
    Here's my new setup...

    p1020772.jpg

    Yes, that is my fan shoved through my window.
  • JackedJacked Regular
    edited July 2011
    Lmao @ clothes in fridge hahhaha . Get a cloth wet it , wipe your self and point the fan at yourself, fuk " circulating air"!
  • mafiabromafiabro Regular
    edited July 2011
    brandonlol
  • edited July 2011
    Seeing as this post has been bumped, I've figured out how to get it fairly cool on most days now. Last year was particularly hot but this year hasn't been too bad just yet. Anyway, I open all my windows, allowing air to blow through. Some is mixed into my computer which helps to cool it down, but the rest goes through my room, out the door and through the house until it reaches the windows at the back of the house which I've also got wide open. This gets a good circulation of air going :thumbsup: I've also used the technique where you open the window, and then repeatedly open/close the door.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2011
    you just gotta stop cryin' bitch..
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    I dont know about fairly cool this year. I live up north and every day has beat the records of the past years so far. It ridiculous.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    I was gonna say get a hair cut but then I realised you already did that and this thread is a year old. :o
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Here's my new setup...

    p1020772.jpg

    Yes, that is my fan shoved through my window.

    Stoned as fuck and that made me laugh like a mo'fucker.. BWAHAHAHA!
    *holla* NIGGUHHHH! *makes bloods symble with fingers and pouts*
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Are you in this heat wave we got up here? One of my coworkers said moorhead got to 132F one day, which I doubt, and am going to check.

    Edit: It was the feels like temp. Thats still crazy fuckin hot.

    And I dont know about that because the blood starts to get to dangerous temperatures when it is that hot. But here we got a feels like heat index of a 114 which i believe was the hottest. And I live in northern Wisconsin. Sense when does it break 100 degrees up here. What the hell.
    duuude wrote: »
    I was gonna say get a hair cut but then I realised you already did that and this thread is a year old. :o
    Haha yeah I was still in college when this was made.
Sign In or Register to comment.