Internet Anonymity - How Far Do You Go?

RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
I was just reading through a thread which was posted on here, all about internet anonymity and privacy. It got me thinking that actually, I do quite a lot in order to remain fairly anonymous when using the internet. For a start, I don't use any social networking websites such as Facebook/Myspace/Twitter which are basically online databases full of information which people willingly give out every single day. The scary thing is, they don't even realize just how much information they're actually putting on the internet, in full public view. Whenever I'm browsing the internet (be it posting/lurking on here, or anywhere else for that matter) I'll either use TOR or a proxy of some kind. This hides my IP address, and also makes it much harder to be traced. Instead of my home connection showing up in logs, all they'll see is a request from a TOR server :)

For instant messaging I sometimes use TOR or a SOCKS proxy, but I don't really use IM unless I'm away from home.

How far do you guys go with your anonymity and privacy online?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Not as far as -Spectral Will to Tag out his ID.
  • edited August 2011
    I tend to be super paranoid on the internet as well. I don't use Facebook or anything like that - in fact, Totse is the only website I'm currently signed up to. I use TOR a lot, and I'm trying to make a habit of using it all the time now. I'm always worried that the internet police are on my back, so to speak ;) I encrypt my IM communications whenever I can, I use encrypted voice communication like Teamspeak and Skype. I remove EXIF data before posting images, which I upload to Uloadr with TOR. I've also got my user agent spoofed, and I've set my Firefox up so it doesn't give websites the referrer website. Pretty nifty actually.

I'll think of more in a minute, I'm sure :)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Nobody will know my secrets *glares at the feds here*
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2011
    I take reasonable measures, nothing too stringent because I don't really do anything. I know how to work completely separately from my usual online identity when I need to, though. I mostly just avoid giving out every little bit of info about myself.
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    My life is pretty much completely out on the internet...I have nothing to hide from.

"Guilty people do guilty things"