The Great Outdoors GUIDE IDEAS

buddhabuddha Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
This thread is for you guys to throw out some ideas for guides you would like to see written for this section, I will be updating this post with the list of ideas.

The guides that are in progress right now.

Guide to Hunting Edible Mushrooms (Non-psychoactives) - Buddha
Building and Maintenance of Ponds and Natural Swimming Pools - Buddha
Growing your own vegetables - Dr.Rocker
How to maintain a garden - Dr.Rocker

If you are working on, or would like to write a guide for this section let me know and I'll add you to this list. That way we can make sure 2 people aren't writing the same guide at the same time. Not that we can't work together.

Ideas for guides:
Some survival guides if possible, they're always cool. They should be unique in some way though.

Throw some ideas out there, nothing is too silly of an idea.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    How to maintain a garden.
    Some survival guides if possible, they're always cool. They should be unique in some way though.
    Growing your own vegetables.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    How to maintain a garden.
    Growing your own vegetables.

But but but...

Who could write such guides?!

hvukn5.jpg

Oh, look what I have from my garden to go with my chicken for dinner...
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    I can help with some of the guides, not really sure exactly you have in mind for writing one though.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    But but but...

Who could write such guides?!

hvukn5.jpg

Oh, look what I have from my garden to go with my chicken for dinner...

So I can put you down as writing those 2 guides then?
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Things like how to live off of the land and survivalist info would be a good start.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    So I can put you down as writing those 2 guides then?

I can give some of the book I am writing, but I will have to pare it down as not to prejudice commercial interests.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited August 2011
    Would anyone be interested in camping/fishing/hiking/etc guides? I generally go camping twice a month and fish about 4 times a week, so I know my shit pretty well.
  • edited August 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in camping/fishing/hiking/etc guides? I generally go camping twice a month and fish about 4 times a week, so I know my shit pretty well.

Hell yeah, those would be great. That's the sort of stuff I'd love to get into but I have literally no experience in those areas, so post away!
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited August 2011
    I look forward to seeing these. I've always had a slight thing for cooking, and this is where I can start :D
  • edited August 2011
    Perhaps you can post some pictures and experiences of your hiking/fishing trips as well? That might make for some really nice threads actually, complete with great pictures of the outdoors :) This would actually be really cool.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    I often go hiking, camping AND fishing whenever I go to visit my family in Scotland. We spend a week up in the countryside, and I'd actually love for something to read when I'm out on these trips. You could cover all the basics to enjoying a hiking, camping and fishing trip :D Hell, I could convert it to PDF and stick it on my Android :thumbsup:
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited August 2011
    Going on a 3 day camping/fishing trip next weekend. Will take copious amounts of pictures and post a 'camping report':hai:

Might start writing guides or something too. Depends on how much time I have next week.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Shelter building?
  • edited August 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    Going on a 3 day camping/fishing trip next weekend. Will take copious amounts of pictures and post a 'camping report':hai:

Might start writing guides or something too. Depends on how much time I have next week.

That sounds fantastic! My suggestion is that you take a lot of pictures, but also take some notes down of things which you can write about when you return. Take a notepad with you or something, just jot down little reminders and other stuff which is interesting to you.
  • larrixinatorlarrixinator Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2011
    I got some ideas........... for later.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited August 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Shelter building?

Good idea. It's an area I need to improve in, so as I learn, I can write up a guide.
    trx100 wrote: »
    That sounds fantastic! My suggestion is that you take a lot of pictures, but also take some notes down of things which you can write about when you return. Take a notepad with you or something, just jot down little reminders and other stuff which is interesting to you.

I generally take a note book with me camping anyway. Strange things come into your mind when you're relaxed in the middle of nowhere, and it can be interesting to write them down.
    I got some ideas........... for later.

Looking forward to it.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    Anybody want to see a guide on keeping tarantulas?
  • edited September 2011
    Anybody want to see a guide on keeping tarantulas?

Of course we do man. I think a lot of people need to realize that we're promoting the spread of good, relevent information here at Totse. We welcome ALL guides, from making bombs to keeping tarantulas :) Write away, I'd love to read it and I know a lot of others would as well.

Oh, and make sure there's some spidey pictures in there to make it look cooler.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited October 2011
    I've already said elsewhere that I'm keen to do a guide to edible British wild plants - with an emphasis on functionality (ID'ing, recipes, where to find etc) rather than a fuck-off comprehensive list. I've taken a lot of photos this summer for helping to ID plants, but this is still a mammoth challenge, and if anyone else is interested I'd love to have some help from the community.

Also, this thread could do with updating/ replacing. The content is good for the moment but all the videos are hosted by outsiders, so we have no control over them. There is nothing more frustrating for potential users than to stumble across an interesting thread only to find dead links, 404s and "video removed by user" messages. I would recommend a revamp, possibly with users shooting and hosting there own videos? I don't really have enough knowledge to cover the mushrooms, but I could ahve ago at some of the others if there's interest.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited October 2011
    For what it's worth, I'm nowhere near the UK - I'm over on the west side of the US - but a lot of the plants I deal with should be over on your side of the pond as some are technically "invasive weeds" here brought over by European settlers originally. Others were shared to begin with, so either way some of the things I ramble about in my topic should apply over there. If nothing else, you can probably build off of a lot of ideas I don't delve too deep into cause I know you mentioned recipes and all of mine are still really basic (flat bread, salads, pudding, stew, etc.) and there are definitely ways out there to make complex dishes and even fine pastries using only wild plants.