My bank account is very much in the hole.

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited September 2011 in Life
Yeah, my bank account is somewhere around $200 in the negative..and I don't want to/can't pay it on my income. What's the best course of action here? Can I just cancel my account and be done with it? (I know, that seems pretty dumb) Or should I just say fuck it and revert back to cash only?

This sucks man.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Do you live in the U.S.? If so you will have to pay it or you will be reported to Check Systems and will not be able to get another account until you do.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited August 2011
    Do you live in the U.S.? If so you will have to pay it or you will be reported to Check Systems and will not be able to get another account until you do.
    Yes, unfortunately I do. God dammit this just made life even more difficult. And to top it off, it keeps FUCKING CHARGING MORE! At first I was only about $100 negative, like a month ago, now...it's fucking $200.
    edited August 2011
    Close it before the rack up more charges.
  • edited August 2011
    Can't you close the account and then pay it off?
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    You can't just close the account. For now you could open a bank account at a different bank to run your money through until you pay it off. You can also go into your bank and talk to the manager. If you tell him you can afford the money you owe but not the fees they may knock the fees off. Especially if this is your first time.

It will keep getting bigger if you don't take care of it. By now it's probably already hit your credit score. If you want to buy a house, get an apartment, a cell phone, etc in the next 7 years I would recommend getting your bank to reverse the fees ASAP!
    edited August 2011
    easy-e wrote: »
    You can't just close the account. For now you could open a bank account at a different bank to run your money through until you pay it off. You can also go into your bank and talk to the manager. If you tell him you can afford the money you owe but not the fees they may knock the fees off. Especially if this is your first time.

It will keep getting bigger if you don't take care of it. By now it's probably already hit your credit score. If you want to buy a house, get an apartment, a cell phone, etc in the next 7 years I would recommend getting your bank to reverse the fees ASAP!

Yes, he can close the account.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    Got to be Bank of America, amirite?

Anyways you can close the account, should be able to, but you will still owe the money and as previously said they won't give you another account at another bank until you do.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    The reason why it keeps going up is because if you go in the red (the negative), the bank charges you interest because it is actually lending you money. It will keep going up and up until you pay it off. Maybe take out a short term loan if you can and pay it of that way because they (the loan company or bank) will probably charge you less than the bank (the one that you owe money) does when you go in the negative.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Talk to the manager, get it closed.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    Talk to them first. They might be compassionate and work out some kind of fair deal. :rolleyes: In all seriousness see if they can help you.

You have to declare bankruptcy, this entitles you to some "can't bleed a stone" policies that may help you out. It's up to you to work out how do to that, over here it's a form you have to fill out in a court.
    edited August 2011
    I'm going to the bank tomorrow to find out what I can do. I'll post back with results, thanks for all the tips guys.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    What happened?
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Quit buying fleshlight inserts
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited September 2011
    open an account at a differnt bank right away...
    edited September 2011
    as soon as you are reporeted you will not be able to open another account anywhere
    edited September 2011
    Oh one last thing, dont go talk to the bank manager they will just put locks on the account
    edited September 2011
    my bad. i kept coming back to it with different thoughts. For some reason i was thinking different thoughts different post :(
    edited September 2011
    I never did get to the bank what with the whole moving to Cali thing. A lot on my plate atm. I figure for the moment fuck it and just use cash, there's a depression headed our way anyways.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    I knew a guy with that same problem, he would pay off the money he owed and bring the ballance up to £0, but then would get hit with the fees for going into his over draft at the end of the month. He wasn't smart enough to figure out what was happening so in the end we told him to close the account once he had brang it up to £0 otherwise it would just be a vicious cycle.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    The worst thing you can do at this moment is be comfortable...your problems will only get greater from here..but, for a lot of people, they need to hit rock-bottom to truly realize the situation..

knowing this..i hope you don't go through what the average american is going through..because many situations started like yours..
    edited September 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    The worst thing you can do at this moment is be comfortable...your problems will only get greater from here..but, for a lot of people, they need to hit rock-bottom to truly realize the situation..

knowing this..i hope you don't go through what the average american is going through..because many situations started like yours..

Wut?