Growing my own - need beginner tips

edited September 2011 in Man Cave
So. My 12 seeds arrived today. Because I still live with my parents there's no way I can grow outside, even though there's plenty of space so my only option is a windowsill grow. That, and the fact that it's probably to wet and cold here at the moment. Now I have pretty good experience growing all kinds of other plants, but not from seed. Do I need to germinate in a special way first and then transplant to bigger pots or can I just put the seeds straight into them? Do these plants give off a strong smell that would be difficult to hide in the house? How many months does it take before I can harvest? Any other noob tips?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    It would be wise to reword the OP, just in case, ya know?

Nope. I'm not even in the US.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    This looks helpful.
  • edited August 2011
    This looks helpful.

Awsome, thanks a lot
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Look at Compact Flourescent lights. They work well. You can probably get a 150-200w one and grow on the stealth. Just keep an eye on a slight raise in the electric bill.
    Also what strain are they? And just put them all into little pots with damp soil, cover with clingfilm and pierce a few holes in it, and dampen each day. Keep them in the light and they'll grow. Cannabis is a weed, hence it will grow just about anywhere.
  • edited August 2011
    Two weeks since planting and this is all there is so far... Is this normal?

20pbtqw.jpg
    edited August 2011
    Looks fine to me. If you can, get them used to the wind by putting them outdoors for a few hours per day. Also anything South-facing is good as they get max sun exposure.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited August 2011
  • edited August 2011
    I don't even grow Marijuana but I can tell that it looks totally fine, having read a lot of growing guides (including RemadE's awesome one :D). Looks like you're doing a good job so far brah.
    edited August 2011
    Also I reccommend very diluted Tomorite from about week 4. About 5ml per 400ml of water. Yep, metric FTW.
    Furing the vegetative state, stock up on some BioBloom. That stuff is awesome. I also used to use molasses in boiled water, cooled then watered on. Carbohydrates and sugar help the buds so I hear - and saw.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    The plant looks a little leggy (long) to me. Get it outside, it wont really smell a lot in the veg stage. Certainly not while it is small. It needs 360 light and some air movement as RemadE said. When you pot it in, put it into some coarser compost. I would feed it with blood, bone and fish with a little bit of dried blood once it has really established itself and some sheep shit tea when it was going into flower.

However, as its your first time, I would keep feeding simple. Stick with basics and use canna terra products, they are supposed to be pretty fool proof. If you want to add more, during flower you might want to add a bit of canna bloom or boost or what ever it is called these days. Anything else and you will be wasting your time and money for a first time thing.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Look at Compact Fluorescent lights. They work well.

They are provided they are kept close to the plant but not so close that they get burned. Surrounding the plant with CFL's works well, you'll know if it isn't getting enough light as it will be tall and thin with the leaves spaced well apart.

I have some pics of my first CFL grow from a few years ago. I will post them if I can find them.
  • 0000000000 Regular
    edited September 2011
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Some may argue this but for hassle free fertilization of pot plants I recommend Jobe's Tomato Outdoor Fertilizer Food Spikes. I have seen fantastic results with this product.

AA3001_.jpg
    edited September 2011
    TDR is right, as I was going away for a few weeks and ended up having to get my Nan to feed my plants (after a while of fretting and wondering what to do). You can't go too wrong with these products, either.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    I know you're not retarded, so you probably won't get caught out here; but remember not to leave the plant on a window what points out to the street. I've seen so many people get busted, just for that silly little thing. :facepalm: