Why Are You Religious?

DarkhunterDarkhunter Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Anyone that believes in a religion I just want to know why you do. As an Atheist that was a Protestant until I read the Bible from one cover to the other when I was really young, I just don't understand how people can believe in a fairytale.

Comments

• juggjugg Regular
    edited September 2011
    I think that everyone has to have something to believe in. Even if your an Atheist you have a belief. I think that's what gets missed the most is the journey. You need to explore what religion truly means to you and come to your own conclusion no matter what that is. Its the journey not the destination that's important.
  • DarkhunterDarkhunter Regular
    edited September 2011
    jugg wrote: »
    Even if your an Atheist you have a belief.

Being an Atheist is lack of belief.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Darkhunter wrote: »
    Being an Atheist is lack of belief.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Therefore atheist believe there is no god and have a belief the believe in.

Like myself for example I don't believe in gods but I do believe you are an idiot.
    edited September 2011
    Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Therefore atheist believe there is no god and have a belief the believe in.

Like myself for example I don't believe in gods but I do believe you are an idiot.

*Yawn* An admitted troll thinks I'm an idiot. I'm so offended. Please stay on topic and don't detract if you can help it.
    edited September 2011
    Darkhunter wrote: »
    *Yawn* An admitted troll thinks I'm an idiot. I'm so offended. Please stay on topic and don't detract if you can help it.

How is this for on topic, you call yourself an atheist but are so ignorant you don't even know what one is.
    edited September 2011
    How is this for on topic, you call yourself an atheist but are so ignorant you don't even know what one is.

:facepalm: I do know what one is. I don't need to vomit up what my teacher taught me yesterday unlike some people.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    Alright boys, shake your dicks because this pissing fight is over.

Darkhunter, TDR corrected you, yes he called you an idiot, but the joke was there and I'd be disappointed if he DIDN'T use it.

I'm not really religious. I can't believe that there isn't a God because there is way too many coincidences. I feel like life is a game of The Sims. You do well, you go to... what ever it might be called that's good, you do bad you go to.. whatever it might be called that's bad.

It's like a test.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    Not religious exactly, compared to my large inter-faith family. But I figure I have to have some sort of crazy in my life so religion might be it. I'm still considering it; it's
    just an assurance that I can't be that crazy- God himself is a total nut job after all. Whatever I accomplish is just fiddlesticks.

Plus faith can be really amazing. A spiritual orgasm. From what I've heard.

*wets pant*

Ahem, I went from a religious Muslim to someone who accepts all religions and everyone. I don't know if there is a GOD or if he doesn't exist. What I know is as long as people have some level of believe in them the society might survive. I personally like reading about different religions. I call out to Zeus, Greek GODS Wicca GOD and GODDESS, only because it helps me connect with what others are feeling.

Our minds are capable of producing energy that can uplift your soul. If you banging your head on the wall and thinking about black void helps you achieve inner peace than by all means go for it. I believed in ALLAH because when I was young I didn't get to read about other GODS. Just the thought of thinking about other GODS was forbidden and naming them with ALLAH or comparing them to ALLAH is shirq which is unforgivable in the eyes on ALLAH.

But like others I have grown. I don' side with Atheist most of them are idiots anyway (See what I did there TDR) but really, you're required to have some certain about of belief. People believed in Sun GODS in the old days and most people believe in Money GOD (lol Dollar). Point is simple, religion is vital for the society. You should be glad it exists otherwise there would be no social order, even the police would have a hard time keeping people who think they're GODS from mass murder.

To answer your question: I am not Religious, but that doesn't mean I go around stopping people from doing what they like. I am just working on my own religion, it revolves around love, peace and respect. (and sex)
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited September 2011
    i guess i have a 'belief' i wouldn't call myself religious or spiritual, I think everything is connected ... but not in a 'intelligent' way like if you do good things good stuff will happen to you ... or there is some dude who created EVERYTHING and has SUPREME power but still cares about how people behave ... more in a primitive unintelligent instinctual way, like we're here because if we weren't we wouldn't be here ... life exists because it must and doesnt care what happens as long as it survives ... like a bird doesn't live so that one day it will have a good super fund and be able to retire comfortably, nor does it find itself demented or sick or depressed because of the stress of living ... i just moves forward because if it didnt it would stop.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011
    I suppose I'd consider myself agnostic. I'm not fully religious, however, I do believe in a higher power. Every now and again I'll even pray, but only in extreme situations, in which prayer seems to be an emotional 'last stand' when all other options are exhausted. There are things on this earth that can not be explained by any science. I respect anyone's and everyone's opinion on religion, and this is the way I have been raised.
    edited September 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    I suppose I'd consider myself agnostic. I'm not fully religious, however, I do believe in a higher power. Every now and again I'll even pray, but only in extreme situations, in which prayer seems to be an emotional 'last stand' when all other options are exhausted. There are things on this earth that can not be explained by any science. I respect anyone's and everyone's opinion on religion, and this is the way I have been raised.

Prayer is a form of ritual that helps keep the conscious mind occupied in order that the subconscious mind can do the works.
    edited October 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    There are things on this earth that can not be explained by any science.

Like what for instance?
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    Personally I dont belong to ant religion, but I believe in some kind of higher power. thinking about the universe completly baffles me. like it cant have just existed forever right? or could it?.......I could spend hours starring at a blank wall thinking about such things.

I think religion was how people controlled society, think about the ten commandments. they look alot like laws dont they. the storys in the bible were made up to to scare people into believing what there church told them and to provide examples of how one should live there life (I mean this in a good way).

thats my 2cents worth

and this makes me lol

jesus.jpg
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    That was gif was funny. I think religion is everyone's personal journey. When you bring it into large groups is when it gets corrupt.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    I agree jugg. I would also like to add i dont have a problem with religion or people who belong to one