Obama Announces Iraq Troops Will Be Withdrawn By End Of 2011

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Many people I know seem to think that because the Iraq war was "Over" last year and that there is not much in the way of conflict there, although there still is, Obama has announced today that the remaining Soldiers will be "home for the holidays". I just fear a Political and violent black hole will engulf Iraq shortly after the remainder of the troops come home.
WASHINGTON -- Fulfilling a long-held campaign promise, President Barack Obama announced Friday that he will pull all U.S. troops out of Iraq by the end of the year, as conditioned by the Status of Forces Agreement with the country.

"As a candidate for president, I pledged to bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end," Obama said. "So today I can report that, as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year."

Source and video @ Huffington Post.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Yeah even though we should have never gone there the exit strategy is pure shit. While I support troop withdrawal 100% it will create a huge clusterfuck in Iraq and the region in general. But then again maybe that is exactly what the UN and there masters in Brussels want, an excuse to renter the region with a vengeance.
  • ThatfriedKidThatfriedKid Acolyte
    edited October 2011
    I like how Obama is making it seem like he is responsible for the withdrawal when Bush is the one that signed the SOFA in 2008 putting the end of 2011 as the withdrawal date unless Iraq wanted to further extend US troop presence. They didn't of course. If Obama hadn't followed through with the agreement the Bush administration had made with Iraq, he would of been occupying the country illegally.

It's pretty convenient that he made that one of his campaign promises to take the troops out of Iraq when he already knew they would be withdrawn near re-election season, whether or not he became president or not.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Very true, TFK. Bush did do some good, and I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, it was him who began the "hunt" for Osama regardless of the 9/11 theories. He did the job, and Obama managed to get in there as things were closing in around Osama.
    As for TDr's view, I have a feeling there is a bit of a plan with Iraq from the West, as who the hell knows what their long-term plans are for that place.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited October 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Very true, TFK. Bush did do some good, and I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, it was him who began the "hunt" for Osama regardless of the 9/11 theories. He did the job, and Obama managed to get in there as things were closing in around Osama.
    As for TDr's view, I have a feeling there is a bit of a plan with Iraq from the West, as who the hell knows what their long-term plans are for that place.

And that plan is to withdraw 100% before the 2012 election. If the well being of the troops, Iraq, and their people were taken into account I will be really surprised. This may be good news but if it wasnt happening before an election year, I would be more happy about it.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    I heard there was going to be 40,000 troops life in that region.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    I also heard that the Iraq government refused requests by the US to keep some bases there (like they do in Japan, Korea..)

I kinda wish they had let them, if only to diminish Israels sense of entitlement.

You've also got to be wary about exact definitions: Renaming the soldiers there to "peacekeeping troops" is technically a withdrawal, but means nothing in practice.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    I think heard that they wont give immunity to the soldiers there anymore.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Are you referring to fact that the Iraqi government wants to try US soldiers for collateral damage when they engage insurgents?