What do you want to do with your life?

edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Whats you ideal career? Are you pursuing it? Do you know where you want to live, or are you already where you want to be.

As for me, I'm not sure. I might be looking into a field in Computer Science or Cyber Forensics. Or possibly Astronomy.. I'd perfer to live by or own property by a large body of water.

Comments

• ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to get a job in the science field. Specifically what I am unsure of at the moment. I'll also supplement it with not so legal activities.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    I'm shooting to major in Graphic Design, but I'm stuck as an aircraft mechanic for now.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going for a career as a pharmacist, because it's a dope job.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited July 2010
    It would be cool to see where you guys are in a few years, because some of your aspirations sounds pretty sweet icon14.gif

I'd like to be a full-time graphic designer too. At the moment I'm doing freelance work, but working from home gets quite lonely :(

I'm not sure where I want to live. In the last week I've actually just moved to Wellington, NZ but hopefully in a year or two will go to Melbourne, AUS because of the awesome art scene over there.
  • edited July 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    It would be cool to see where you guys are in a few years, because some of your aspirations sounds pretty sweet icon14.gif

I'd like to be a full-time graphic designer too. At the moment I'm doing freelance work, but working from home gets quite lonely :(

I'm not sure where I want to live. In the last week I've actually just moved to Wellington, NZ but hopefully in a year or two will go to Melbourne, AUS because of the awesome art scene over there.

I've always wanted to go to or live in NZ or AUS. But I don't like how strict AUS government is on censorship. NZ is amazing tho.
    Pig wrote: »

I lol'd.
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I'm shooting to major in Graphic Design, but I'm stuck as an aircraft mechanic for now.

GD is a job that everyone think there good at, so I imagine it would be hard do get? My friend was an aircraft mechanic, he worked in AZ for awhile for commercial jets. He was approached by government contractors and offered him a job. He as security clearance for all these bases, and hes flown to work everyday. And he cant even talk about where he works or what he does. Pretty awesome stuff. I'd aim for that!
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited July 2010
    I was originally majoring in chem but I decided it was not all that exciting so poli-sci it is now.

Ideally I'd be a lawyer in 6-8 years but we'll see how that goes.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    Become mod :rolleyes: just kidding. Don't know yet.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've always wanted to go to or live in NZ or AUS. But I don't like how strict AUS government is on censorship. NZ is amazing tho.

I've lived in NZ all my life and I'm actually quite bored of it. Sure its beautiful and stuff, but its more of a place I'd like to live when I'm older and settled down. Also our technology here is quite behind, but not too bad. The pricing is way over the top too.

I paid $600(NZ$) for my PS3 in NZ, and in the US its only $425(NZ$)!! :mad: I would've ordered it from there if it wasn't for it not being able to work with NZ bought games.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    I really don't know what I want to do yet. I'm gonna be a freshman in college next year so I've got some time to think through things.
  • evil_monkeyevil_monkey Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    This thread actually inspired me to look through a course catalog I had laying around. I think I'm gonna enroll to community college soon and get my business degree. Thanks totse! :)
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited July 2010
    shit. don t know
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    field biology!
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    I dont know yet, but whatever it is, I will be remembered for it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Im going for a masters in Psychology and i will hopefully become a clinical psychologist and possibly a psychiatrist but idk if im up for all those long boring years of medical school.

I guess we'll be Shrink Buddies if things work out :cool:
  • NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to be an apprentice of some trade. Thinking of doing an electrician one but I'm not sure. I should really get onto it. I'm at the gay supermarket at the moment. It really sux. Kiddies, you don't wanna work there. Get a good job.

nz kid here, don't fuck around or you'll get a shit supermarket job

inb4irlfriends
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to be some artist who does graphics for a company or something. I dunno. I just want to get high all day and make masterpieces.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to beome a full fledged Network Administrator, or I'd just be happy maintaining a business, corporate, college, government, or database as an assistant. That just seems so cool to me and relax, yet a lot of knowledge and work can be neccessary. The pay is damn good though. Again, a lot of knowledge I have to learn :-\
  • edited July 2010
    field biology!

THIS!!! I'm debating between biochemistry, botany, and mycology and am already starting on my herbarium collection which I intend to pass to my progeny if I have any. If not, it will be donated to either a university or some other large herbarium or museum.
  • edited July 2010
    Pig wrote: »

iCwatudidthar :D +1
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2010
    I wanted to be a botanist but they make no money. I kind of want be a linguist but how the fuck does a linguist make money. I'm thinking pharmacist for now just because of the drugs.
    edited July 2010
    Remember, just because you're a pharmacist doesn't mean you can take as many drugs as you want. So if you want to be one because of the drugs, it's the wrong reason. If the pharmacy regulators suspect anything, they will audit you. Especially narcotics, they make you keep track of where every single pill went if they're suspicious. Pharmacists are bascially shopkeepers with the ability to sell kool kandy :o
  • edited July 2010
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I wanted to be a botanist but they make no money. I kind of want be a linguist but how the fuck does a linguist make money. I'm thinking pharmacist for now just because of the drugs.

Median annual wages of biochemists and biophysicists were $82,840 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $59,260 and $108,950. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $44,320, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $139,440. Median annual wages of biochemists and biophysicists employed in scientific research and development services were $85,870 in May 2008.

Median annual wages of microbiologists were $64,350 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $48,330 and $87,040. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $38,240, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $111,300.

Median annual wages of zoologists and wildlife biologists were $55,290 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $43,060 and $70,500. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $33,550, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $90,850.

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, beginning salary offers in July 2009 averaged $33,254 a year for bachelor's degree recipients in biological and life sciences.

In the Federal Government in March 2009, microbiologists earned an average annual salary of $97,264; ecologists, $84,283; physiologists, $109,323; geneticists, $99,752; zoologists, $116,908; and botanists, $72,792."

Also, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes191029.htm
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't know. :( i do want to kill somebody though at least once in my life, probably a child molester.
  • Dumpster SlutDumpster Slut Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    i ideally would like to become a stock broker - acquire so much money that i don't know what to do with it - then give it all away to people in need (leaving me with enough money for a normal comfortable lifestyle)

yes, dumpster slut has a heart
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't know. :( i do want to kill somebody though at least once in my life, probably a child molester.

I definitely want to kill someone in self defence. IMO make money, buy shit.
  • edited July 2010
    Right now, getting back to school and moving out of my parents house again. Seriously hate living at home after being in college, work is good though. I also want to make sure I don't fuck up completely like I did last year when I went to school.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    travil the world and lern more about everything then all the other stupid ppl of this erth no combined :o:o:o:o:o:o
    edited July 2010
    brandon wrote: »
    travil the world and lern more about everything then all the other stupid ppl of this erth no combined :o:o:o:o:o:o

Good luck with that :facepalm:
  • Pill PopperPill Popper Regular
    edited July 2010

Lol
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2010
    brandon wrote: »

First things first, Learn English you fucking retard.:D
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to try and emulate the best aspects of William S. Burroughs, Terrence Mckenna's and Lou Reed's careers. Failing that I would like to find a way to make money without having to work for somebody else if at all possible. At this stage I am probably going to wind up a bum though....
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2010
    become a sign language interpreter, put those classes to use. then write a book..
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010

GD is a job that everyone think there good at, so I imagine it would be hard do get? My friend was an aircraft mechanic, he worked in AZ for awhile for commercial jets. He was approached by government contractors and offered him a job. He as security clearance for all these bases, and hes flown to work everyday. And he cant even talk about where he works or what he does. Pretty awesome stuff. I'd aim for that!

Nah dude. Working on 747s for 5 hours a day being exposed to skydrol and other shit isn't worth the $27/hr. Plus, AA requires a certain amount of overtime hours a month and you'll be pissed when you figure it's usually your weekends. Nothing better than waking up on a Saturday at 2:30 am to go to JFK. :facepalm:
  • Dog BoyDog Boy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to be a lighting designer/lighting technician/rigger. I will travel the world and work in all the major theatres and opera houses on the planet.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I wanna rock.
  • Princess 'ZekPrincess 'Zek Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I want some sort of government job, where I bridge communication gaps between the guys on top who envision the way things are supposed to work and the people trying to apply the impractical visions. Working for the people, to make their lives a little easier.

i have no idea how to get there, though :(
  • Pill PopperPill Popper Regular
    edited July 2010
    I wanna rock out with my cock out
  • edited July 2010
    I actually have no idea of what I want to do. I'm leaning towards some sort of computer security job. White-hat hacking for some kind of company, if they do that sorta thing.
  • PsyntheticPsynthetic Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got a job at a company with great benefits. In a year or two I will be making enough money to move out and cover rent/gas/food with a little extra on the side. I don't want to get into specifics but I have a variety of options for low risk criminal ventures to make all my spending money from. All the while I'll be climbing the ladder in said company, and eventually reach a position that I could support myself entirely from. I could live this way my entire life. I don't plan on ever owning a home or having kids. I just want to get drunk and party my whole life, go to a lot of concerts and sporting events. Seems like a lot more fun than having kids and becoming responsible.

Or I could start taking classes (job pays for school) and actually do something with my life. I guess I'm really smart and just don't apply myself (or so I've been told). My high school GPA was 2.0 but I got a 33 on my ACT.
  • edited July 2010

Theres a big free place you can go to do that. Its called prison :D.
    trx100 wrote: »
    I actually have no idea of what I want to do. I'm leaning towards some sort of computer security job. White-hat hacking for some kind of company, if they do that sorta thing.

See so would I. But I don't have any experience. in that field and I'm already 17.
    Psynthetic wrote: »
    I just got a job at a company with great benefits. In a year or two I will be making enough money to move out and cover rent/gas/food with a little extra on the side. I don't want to get into specifics but I have a variety of options for low risk criminal ventures to make all my spending money from. All the while I'll be climbing the ladder in said company, and eventually reach a position that I could support myself entirely from. I could live this way my entire life. I don't plan on ever owning a home or having kids. I just want to get drunk and party my whole life, go to a lot of concerts and sporting events. Seems like a lot more fun than having kids and becoming responsible.

Or I could start taking classes (job pays for school) and actually do something with my life. I guess I'm really smart and just don't apply myself (or so I've been told). My high school GPA was 2.0 but I got a 33 on my ACT.

Can you say what field the your legal trade is? That reminds me of myself with the whole GPA and ACT comparison.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have some pretty lofty goals, but I think they're at least somewhat achievable. And even if I do fuck 'em up, it'll have been worth it for the ride.

I want to get my doctorate in chemical/mechanical engineering (can't decide which :mad:) and consult/teach at college level for a few years. This'll allow good steady pay, research opportunities, and the ability to travel during the summers, seeing as travelling is probably one of my most important goals in life: it is the shit. I also enjoy teaching, so I'll enjoy giving lectures.

During this time I'll continue to expand my current portfolio and finally buy a car wash or two to enhance my passive income. I should be up into very nice six figures by now, which will mostly get invested since I don't mind being frugal until I'm wealthy enough for it to not matter.

During this time I'd also maintain my hobbies/interests: playing in a band with friends, chess, etc. I don't necessarily care to take those to a professional level or anything, but if it happens I'll certainly embrace it. I also want to get pilot's license for helicopters and planes both. Just because it would be kickass.

After a few years, I want to look at opening my open engineering/technology company where I will have the freedom to invent and research things that matter to me (primarily green energy sources, particularly solar cell technology and efficient engines). Of course the company will also manufacture and produce products to keep a steady stream of income for the R&D department to have fun with :D

At this point, I should be financially well-off, between the investments and the company, and should have the freedom to be travelling, hiking, marathons, triathlons, rock climbing, sailing, skydiving, and all of the other crazy shit I like to do, whenever I want to do it.

Basically, I want to live a life that would be interesting to read about.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to do heroin and go on welfare.