My laptop is magnetic!

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have my laptop hooked up to my HD monitor which gives a nicer view, and I keep something between the screen and the base of the laptop to avoid the screen turning off/blacking out so I can still watch the HD monitor.

I put a lighter under it today. Turns out a certain part is magnetic.
Magnet.jpg

Just thought I'd point this out.

Comments

• juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Is there a speaker there
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    The HDD has quite powerful magnets in it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    It's right next to the webcam on the topside of the laptop. No speakers or HDD anywhere near it as far as I know. Quite curious as to know why there's a magnet there.
    edited November 2011
    That is the magnetic clasp to keep the lid down when it is closed.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    I think I see a bit of gum stuck there dude :)
    edited November 2011
    That is the magnetic clasp to keep the lid down when it is closed.

It could be. It's pretty stiff and almost "clicks" shut. Will have to spend a while opening and closing it to figure it out. When I thought about it and said "no I think it's quite stiff and clicks", my housemate behind me went "the fuck are you talking about, you creep?" :(
    edited November 2011
    My does the same thing. I just stuck a lighter to it. It is definitely a magnetic clasp.
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    Actually Mine has a magnet 1/2 way down one side of the screen. This seems an unlikely place to put a magnetic clasp so I experimented. If I place a magnet over the place beside the keyboard where the magnet in the lid would be, the computer goes into standby mode. So the magnet in my screen is obviously a magnetic switch to determine whether the lid is closed or not. So maybe not busted?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    It's called Wank Field, it's usually active where after wanking you touch some surface.
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Actually Mine has a magnet 1/2 way down one side of the screen. This seems an unlikely place to put a magnetic clasp so I experimented. If I place a magnet over the place beside the keyboard where the magnet in the lid would be, the computer goes into standby mode. So the magnet in my screen is obviously a magnetic switch to determine whether the lid is closed or not. So maybe not busted?

The Busted was in reference to Mythbusters when they find out the logic behind an otherwise seemingly impossible myth.

As for the magnet - that actually sounds like a pretty reasonsable use. My old laptop had a little rubber nipple that if I pressed down, would turn off the screen. This is abviously for that reason, in a more modern form. Cheers for that :thumbsup:
    edited November 2011
    Yeah That's why I said maybe not busted, because it needs re visiting when I threw in another explanation. Try the magnet thing dude.
  • edited November 2011
    My magnetic clasp appears to be at the very bottom of my screen, which is pretty odd. Perhaps it's not even a magnetic clasp at all... Interesting stuff.
    edited November 2011
    In your case it may only be a sensor magnet to tell the system to go into standby when the lid is closed. Do you also have a physical latch?
  • edited November 2011
    ^ That's a good point. I don't have a physical latch, so you're probably right. I'll try putting my PC into sleep mode with a fridge magnet in a little while :D
    edited November 2011
    You had better make sure your laptop does not have epilepsy before you try to hypnotize it. :D

• white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    this is off topic but why dont you go in the power settings and set the screen to not turn off when using the monitor
    edited November 2011
    In your case it may only be a sensor magnet to tell the system to go into standby when the lid is closed. Do you also have a physical latch?

No physical latches so this magnet must be the thing that senses when the lid is closed.
    Which ironically, closes this once mysterious case for me :p
    edited November 2011
    Glad to be of assistance Watson, do drop in for tea. Cheerio, pip pip and all that...
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    or it could be the microphone
    edited November 2011
    Glad to be of assistance Watson, do drop in for tea. Cheerio, pip pip and all that...

Damn, I spend too much time in TS, I can actually hear you saying this.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited November 2011
    Mine does that on the bar as well. I think there must be a reed switch that is used to detect when the lid is closed, so it can log you off and piss you off when you need to type in that damn password again! :)