The ability of expressing a thought in writing

boggleboggle Acolyte
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Hello, my name is Boggle and I'm a lurker.

I lurk a lot of forums and sometimes come into some discussion typing a one-liner or two. Usually I do this because if there is a serious discussion going on or a topic that interests me I will read about it and form my opinion and then start typing some kind of reply to the discussion. But I always end up deleting it because it's so incoherent. Nothing I type makes any sense. This phenomenon is very anoying to me since I am very good at expressing myself verbally. I can explain my thoughts or facts to almost anyone if I talk to them in person.

My problem is that whenever I have to rely on words alone my mind gets blocked, the emotions and meaning I want to convey is not infused in the words as when I use my body language. This is the main reason I didn't get top grades in every class in school. I have always been reading a lot of books and also hoped it would help with my written language, but it has only helped with my vocabulary and not my ability to express myself in words. Are there any other ways of getting better at this?

In my work I am often speaking in front of people, at least once a week I speak in front of strangers in groups of 5-75 and this is never a problem for me and I don't get nervous about it. But when I was writing an essay for school, some report for work or even when creating a thread on an online forum I get more embarassed than when I speak to people in public. Anyone else had to work in this and if so how did you improve?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    Try torrenting Dragon NaturallySpeaking and then you can just speak your posts instead of typing them.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited December 2011
    I can't say I have the same problem, but if ever I'm working on a longer post I find it helps to write it out in notepad first. Write all your one liners down in as incoherent a fashion as you like, save it and go and do something else for a while. Come back later with a fresh head and rearrange it into something more readable, adding anything else that's come to mind.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited December 2011
    Try torrenting Dragon NaturallySpeaking and then you can just speak your posts instead of typing them.
    Let us know how this works.
    I'm very interested because I cant type worth a shit.
    In fact because I cant type I don't post as much as I would like to.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I'm a bit all over the place, too, boggle. frequently get told to have a structure to my essays or whatever. In a way, your writing style suits you and you alone, which is a good thing.
    Your post here makes perfect sense and I can understand it. Also try using italics or bold to add feeling to text. I'm a firm believer in it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    Let us know how this works.
    I'm very interested because I cant type worth a shit.
    In fact because I cant type I don't post as much as I would like to.

Dragon works great you just have to spend about 60 minutes training it and yourself.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Dragon works great you just have to spend about 60 minutes training it and yourself.

This.
    Definitely this.
  • boggleboggle Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I'm a bit all over the place, too, boggle. frequently get told to have a structure to my essays or whatever. In a way, your writing style suits you and you alone, which is a good thing.
    Your post here makes perfect sense and I can understand it. Also try using italics or bold to add feeling to text. I'm a firm believer in it.

Was pretty happy with the way the post came out, and I might start using some more italics or bold in forums.