What would the Government do to get back that student loan?

ThatfriedKidThatfriedKid Acolyte
edited December 2011 in Man Cave
So I was thinking about it today, just kind of a half assed idea in my head, what if you just cashed out on a student loan and dipped from the country? Is this sort of thing possible? Will the Government pursue you to get repaid what is theirs? Or would it be so small in the scheme of things that they'll just ignore it.

The way I see, shits going to hell. The only plausible way of getting a large sum of money, in my mind and position at the moment, is cashing out a large student loan. The reason why I don't just get a student loan and go to school? I'm afraid of having to pay back that debt. Getting a degree doesn't ensure me a job, and then what the fuck happens when I'm thousands of dollars in debt and unable to pay? The government comes and takes all my assets because I got fucked over by the economy they set up? Doesn't sound like a fair deal to me.

So why not just rip them off? Get the fuck out of dodge and try to make do somewhere else?

Like I said, it's just some half assed idea I thought of, not saying I'm going to make an attempt at it. Just wanted to start a conversation about the plausibility of this idea.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    They don't just hand you a check and say go to school when you get this cashed.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited November 2011
    They don't just hand you a check and say go to school when you get this cashed.

This.
    From what I know, you get a little bit of money(that is if you qualify for aid)for books and such. And they might pay your housing.

The scheme would work easily though...basically...you would just be blacklisted. Maybe get your degree, and use it in an under-developed country.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah that would be a great plan, spend four years getting an education and putting yourself in debt so you can go live in a village of mud huts.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I've been given opportunities to work abroad and so was thinking of that being a good way to avoid paying back Uni Student loans. Then again, I guess that's why the Student Loans Company (here in the UK) are now charging higher amounts in collaboration with the Universities due to lack of people paying back.

Then again, where i wish to move to is still in the EU, so I may not escape their wrath.
  • ThatfriedKidThatfriedKid Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    This thread is just a pipe dream of mine. I really want to leave my country and find a place to relax and enjoy myself, but that's not really possible without a decent sum of money. I honestly don't understand the student loan thing to well, so I was just seeing if it was even feasible to just cash the check and run. But I guess they would of course have an insurance policy on making sure you couldn't do such a thing, otherwise I don't see why anyone else wouldn't dip out the minute they had the money in hand.
    edited December 2011
    Because even if they gave you all four years upfront in a lump sum it would not take you ten years in life.