Shahs of Sunset...

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited May 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Ok so when it comes down to it, I like to support the underdog. In this case - Iran. I don't support terrorism unless it is against a repressive regime, but the whole Iran vs Israel deal is pretty straightforward to me. One is a Racist State which was founded after WW2 to shelter their own people - either from the Historical act of embarrasment, and then to be a beacon of freedom and protection for their own people, but not the Palestinians.
The other is an up-and-coming Nation, which is rich in culture and History stretching back millenia. Sure they are being led by a fanatic and being dodgy with weapons (which Israel also is), but the "Cold War" reference by William Hague really struck a nerve with me.

The Cold War at its peak was more than just nuckear weapons, and even if it were, if Iran has one in the making, then how does that compare to the hundreds of thousands in the Cold War? Fucking idiot.

Anyway, enough about that, but it leads nicely onto this. A new TV series in the USA called the Shahs of Sunset features Iranian Nationals in Beverly Hills. Right. So we are led to believe that the Iranian people, especially their Leader are all nutjobs hellbent on destruction of Israel and the West (possibly through arming fundamentalist groups in Afghanistan and Iraq - like Russia). However this goddamn TV show has thrown it to the complete other end of the spectrum, and makes it even worse for Iranians who are living both out and inside of Iran to be seen as normal people. They can't win either way.
Deep down I have a twinge that this is a propaganda stunt by the TV network to insult the Iranians and instead of fearing them and their threats against Israel and the West, they are now a laughing stock...much like the levels of Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore and all that crap.

Take a look...their life is so hard. Baww.

BBC video on the show with a debate.

tl;dr - Iran can't win either way, even in TV "Reality show" propaganda which pisses me off as there is no level platform for debate despite their leader being an egocentric tit.

Comments

• (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited May 2012
    LOL on "hello, we're Persians"
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2012
    Israel is the the rhodesia of the ME. The parallels are amazing.

Israel is historically super aggressive when it comes to its neighbours, they justify it by saying the enemy can lose many times, and Israel must win every time.

Also I don't think the iranian government has decided on definitely making nuclear weapons. They must be aware that it would invoke some sort of military action, either a fallout invasion or a targeted attack on their nuclear installations rendering their ambitions useless.

There is a certain element of citizen representation in the iranian system, and ahmedinajad is not their first or last president. Pragmatism plays a larger role in Iran then you might think.
    They are the 29th largest economy, despite sanctions, higher than a lot of western countries - you don't get to that level without a functioning civil society.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2012
    Did Germany have a functioning civil society between February 4, 1933 and September 1, 1939?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2012
    I might be missing your subtle point.

Germany had a crippling depression, and a massive devaluation of their economy that destroyed the middle class. The parliment they elected was unmanagable. So on the offset, no.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2012
    My point is that during those 6 short years under a totalitarian regime they built a war machine that affected every corner of the globe. I Don't believe that Iran has the choices you seem to feel they have.