Guerilla London Tube "signs"

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2012 in Spurious Generalities
This made my day. If anyone has ever been on the tube (or any other underground train system for that matter) you will know how awkward things can get between some people.

Well, someone took it that one step further ;)
photo-21-1024x7681.jpg

http://wharferj.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/underground-guerilla-signs/

Take that, Tourists!

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I have noticed the UK has a thing with warning signs on everything. What's up with that?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Our health and safety laws are loathed by almost everyone, except those who work in the health and safety biz (or as it's known, 'elf and safety to many).

Warning labels on the tube, I guess, are there for 3 reasons

a) Common sense, just not that common so not everyone has it. Constant reminders to "mind the gap" are broadcast but you will be surprised at the amount of absent-minded people who trip up, have kids almost fall down it (especially at some stations with bigger gaps) and get luggage stuck in it. Not to mention the doors, escalators and ticket machines :facepalm:

b) Tourists. The amount who visit London, the signs are easy to read, stand out and are easy to read with a limited grasp of the English language. Where I lived, near Heathrow Airport and on the Piccadilly line, I would always see carriages full of Tourists who didn't hold onto the poles when they stood up and fell over when the train moved/stopped, or those who don't quite follow tube etiquette, and these piss-take signs just highlight them (like the newspaper reading thing as well as music).

c) TFL (Transport For London) isn't Government owned, so they can be sued/taken to court if someone fucks up, and so the signs must be clearly displayed. Self-explanatory really. They are either loved or hated by Londoners as they love their Union and Strike Actions. Especially this bloke.

As for other signs and warning crap, laws do state that they must be displayed clearly. If you could give some examples I could give it a shot and explain why. A lot of them are just to avoid being taken to court. There are famous ones like "Must not be sold to under 18s" on a pack of spoons at Marks and Spencers just because things get taken that far with health and safety.

In summary, here's a typical view of that damned system, which can be a fucking killjoy.

And yes it's true. You can tell a true Londoner anywhere in the UK if they automatically stand on the right when using an escalator.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    And I thought our laws were bad.
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the UK *jazz hands* :hai:
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Welcome to the UK *jazz hands* :hai:

Haha you just made my day :D

Yeah it sucks big time, people are wrapped up in cotton wool these days.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited September 2012
    I guess you Brits are just saving yourselves from trouble. I mean there was an American that sued McDonald's because she go burned by their coffee. Apparently the cup didn't have any warnings that it was hot and therefore misleading.
    edited September 2012
    That's pretty much the premise of it all and the birth of the Health and Safety culture over here. Just covering our arses, especially as suing people is gaining popularity (as it used to be seen as an American thing, mostly). But like Jersey Shore, it's migrating here and not liked, lol.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2012