Growing my own Tobacco :)

SpinsterSpinster Regular
edited October 2012 in Life
My seeds finally came in the mail today. I going to waste no time and start germinating the seeds today! Nothing really exciting to post right now, but bloody hell those seeds are tiny for such a big plant!

001-10.jpg

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2012
    In the U.S. you can get more time in Federal prison for growing your own tobacco than you can for running a still or even growing your own pot.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited August 2012
    Really?

100% legal here :) Its just illegal to sell the finished product it might even be illegal to give it away, Plants and seeds are legal to sell. But Im growing for my own use anyway. you wont get much change out of $35NZD for a 30g with papers ans filters....
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    In the U.S. you can get more time in Federal prison for growing your own tobacco than you can for running a still or even growing your own pot.
    Here it's legal to brew or distil liquor and grow tobacco. Glad I don't live in the US. Suppose the government doesn't like competition.

Where did you buy the seeds from Spinster?
    edited August 2012
    Trade me, Cost me $5 for that bag of seeds with instruction for Planting, harvesting and Curing.

This is the guy i got them off, plenty of other sellers too though. Just paste this listing number into the search bar 508237447.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2012
    I think I can grow my own Tobacco here quite easily but I am not really into it.
    edited August 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    Trade me, Cost me $5 for that bag of seeds with instruction for Planting, harvesting and Curing.

This is the guy i got them off, plenty of other sellers too though. Just paste this listing number into the search bar 508237447.

Fucking sweet. Might get some :D
    edited August 2012
    Here it's legal to brew or distil liquor and grow tobacco. Glad I don't live in the US. Suppose the government doesn't like competition.

Where did you buy the seeds from Spinster?

We have this little agency the ATF that protects the tobacco companies interests from us greedy Americans.
    edited August 2012
    Just ordered some seeds. Can't wait to try and grow some tobacco now :D
    edited August 2012
    We have this little agency the ATF that protects the tobacco companies interests from us greedy Americans.

Aka "Alcohol, tobacco and firearms". thanks sons of Anarchy :D

Sweet awesome D, Yeh in the guys notes he came across as a hippy/anti government person, was kinda cool bet tobacco is not all he grows :thumbsup: Cant wait for my first harvest, probably try some straight then mess around with adding Rum or Whiskey.
    edited September 2012
    Got my seeds today. Now to plant them :D
    edited September 2012
    Got my seeds today. Now to plant them :D

Sweet :cool: Mine still haven't germinated yet.....
    edited September 2012
    What have you planted them in?
    edited September 2012
    I just bought some seed raising mix from Mitre 10 and planted them in a muscle container with holes in the bottom of it :D Then i have a bigger container under it to catch water. After that I will move each one into its own punnet till they are a bit bigger.l THEN I will get some buckets to transplant them into, then finally when they are about a foot tall into the earth they go :)

Its says in the instructions how to grow them
    edited September 2012
    Yeah the instructions are pretty much fool proof. I didn't realise how small the seeds are, shit they are tiny. I just got to sort out a place to plant them once they are big enough.
    edited September 2012
    Good thing is that they can grow anywhere haha.

I would suggest growing far more than you plan to grow, just in case a plant dies or something, Besides you can give extra ones to your mates or something :)
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Is it cheaper to grow than buy tobacco then? Used to be into plants and stuff when I was younger; always had several plant pots on my windowsill that I used to water :) Only thing I ever used to grow from scratch was watercress lol
    edited September 2012
    Is it cheaper to grow than buy tobacco then?

HELL YES!!

I just looked this morning, They are sprouting!!!
    edited September 2012
    Wow, then if I smoked I would get a whole conservatory lol
    edited September 2012
    I have been meaning to get a photo of these little bad boys. They are growing nicely, i might wait another week or two then move them into individual punnets.

004.JPG
    edited September 2012
    Mine haven't sprouted yet. Mixing the seeds into the potting mix was a fail for me, I ended up sprinkling some on the surface so I'll hopefully see them sprout in around a week or so.
    edited September 2012
    That picture reminds me of when I used to grow watercress when I was younger lol :p
    edited September 2012
    Mine are finally sprouting. Got two tiny ones so far. Its been around five days since I sowed the seeds.
  • yzwddwzyzwddwz Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2012
    Looks like great.
    edited September 2012
    yeh mine took 5 days to week to sprout. got them in a bigger container now, will upload a pic tomorrow.
    edited October 2012
    This is from a few weeks ago, these babies are really taking off now. for the first month they did nothing just sprouted and stayed like that forever!!! but since that photo was taken they have really shot up! Im hoping this trend continues.

2012-09-29%2015.02.56.jpg

And this is from tonight. I went from 14 seedlings to 6 juvenile plants because I forgot to water them for a few days and many began wilting. I tried to wated them but I didn't have something suitable to water them with! now I have a bottle with some small holes in the lid, works a treat :) anyways, because I had a shit method to water them at first I killed heaps. Buried them in potting mix I did lol Now I have 5 healthy plants and one not so healthy one. Oh well Darwinism I guess. May the strongest survive!

2012-10-18%2023.17.49.jpg

Dak, hows your plants?
    edited October 2012
    ^Very nice. Mine did the same as yours, took ages to get any bigger but they are slowly getting bigger now. I moved them into one of those seed propagators rather than leaving them sitting in a plate of water like I did. The heavy rain we have been having drowned a good 70% of my seedlings but I have at least 8 decent sized ones left. I have cleared and sprayed an area for them but roundup happens to be hopeless for the small weeds popping up. It killed everything except for what I wanted it to. My brother suggested gorse spray since he has some but I doubt it works well on weeds and probably lasts in the soil for months. Supposedly paraquat works better as it kills pretty much anything.
    edited October 2012
    Why would you poison the soil in an area where you are growing something for consumption when 30 minutes every 3 days on your hands and knees would solve your weed problem?
    edited October 2012
    Why would you poison the soil in an area where you are growing something for consumption when 30 minutes every 3 days on your hands and knees would solve your weed problem?
    That's mainly the reason I told my brother gorse spray wouldn't be a good idea considering other short lasting herbicides are available. Plus I never really have the time to pull weeds considering they are really tiny clover sprouts.
    edited October 2012
    You can use news paper as weed mat. Just cut some hole for your bakky and you are sorted. It might pay to put down some snail pellets too