Dredd, Comic to Film Done Right

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2013 in Spurious Generalities
I never read the comics in the first place, I was deleting some of the movies that I never watched and decided to watch this and if it wasn't interesting I would delete it. The starting was pretty rad, I don't use that word but the cinematic view of the city pulled me in, from that moment onwards I was hooked. I couldn't enjoy the movies as much as I should mostly because I have seen The Raid and after reading the IMDB, I was thinking of kicking myself for watching it. The Raid in its own way is aggressive and full of action and yes gore but Dredd, OMG. The blood show is off the hook, the story is engaging and did I mention Dredd looked awesome. I can't recall a single scene in which Dredd showed any fucking emotion, I mean his down right serious face was gold.

The action was gore filled, I see blood and bits everywhere and did I mention you see the ultra-slom-mo EFFECT, normally I would be pissed at that but the drug back story made sense. The sound was lovely, it had awesome bangs, lots of fire and it was awesome all around.

Clearly it's not the best movie ever made but I can't recall any other comic to film conversations that did justice to the comic. And I don't read comic but I interested in Dredd now.

So, I suggest you check the movie out, take some time out, relax, pump the sound system and forget about everything and just enjoy action!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd/

Karl is awesome in this movie:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0881631/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

And this girl:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1880888/?ref_=tt_cl_t7
-Boner Alert-

Comments

• ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited March 2013
    I had some old Dredd comics when i was kid, I loved them. This was a good flick and it stayed true to the pulp sci fi feel of the comics, I hear there is talk of a sequel. Also if your interested there are some paper back compilations of the comics floating around that you could proably order.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2013
    Arkansan wrote: »
    I had some old Dredd comics when i was kid, I loved them. This was a good flick and it stayed true to the pulp sci fi feel of the comics, I hear there is talk of a sequel. Also if your interested there are some paper back compilations of the comics floating around that you could proably order.

I think I should give it a shot.
    edited March 2013
    Most assuredly, they are good stuff. If you like Dredd I would recommend the Conan the Barbarian comics as well. The Conan comics also have several compilations out you can buy, look for the ones done by Dark Horse comics as they stick closer to the vibe of the original short stories.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2013
    Most assuredly, they are good stuff. If you like Dredd I would recommend the Conan the Barbarian comics as well. The Conan comics also have several compilations out you can buy, look for the ones done by Dark Horse comics as they stick closer to the vibe of the original short stories.

Jesus, hahah. I guess it's never too late to pick up reading comics :P
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2013

My favorite Conan comics were the old black and white "magazine format" Savage Sword of Conan series. Because they were classified as a magazine they didn't have to conform to the Comic Code Authority. Which allowed for much more graphic art work.
    edited March 2013
    I believe there have been some reprints of the Savage Sword of Conan stuff, I ought to look into them. Also no it is never too late to get into comics, most of the comic store owners I have talked to over the years said their average customer was between 20-30. I spend roughly 20 bucks a month on comics and collect 4 different books.