Do you believe in the paranormal?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited March 2013 in Spurious Generalities
Do you believe in ghosts or paranormal stuff?
I ask because I work at a place with very close links to the Vatican, and am the groundsman. There's near on 12 acres and I am currently renovating a cottage in the forest on the land.
So imagine that, a cottage in a forest, furthest as you an get from the main house. This main house is where near on 15 devout Catholics live as they have retired. I won't go into any more details.

So there I am, this week by myself, working in this cottage, redecorating it. Painting, skirting boards, carpet etc. From the get-go, I've been on edge working in that place despite being a regular at this place for 12 years.

So I'm in the house, I know the history and get to work. The goosebumps rise up on me as I write this.
The first time anything happened I had the radio up and doing my best to ignore everything. Renovating the place was fun, but I was dreading anything going bump - and having the doors closed so I was in the main room alone. The rest of the cottage locked off, and a screwdriver drops from the fireplace about 30 minutes from my closing-time.

The next shift it isn't too bad. That day, a new Priest is chosen and things are lighthearted but I could have sworn I saw a Monk in all black habit, white collar and glasses. I smile and continue taping off the windows, then have a visit later on as a Range Rover pulls up. Apparently the guy I described used to live in the cottage - and the weird thing is, the only other person who wore glasses and lived here was the last resident - who also had Crohn's. I was just told to take it easy and nothing was wrong before being left on my own.
After being asked if I fancy a cup of tea, I decline and ride out the rest of the redecoration and throw my coat on, bag next then leave. As I leave I can swear I hear a voice say "goodbye" and I slam the door, say "goodbye" myself and just get the fuck out of there.

Now I have one last shift tomorrow by myself. Dreading it.

Anyone else had paranormal experiences? This is one in a few throughout my life without any explanations. Tempted to do an EVP session but if anything happens I think I'd shit my pants.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2013
    First it's your nerves, since you already knew the history about that place, your mind is good at trolling you or making you sensitive to your worst fears, if you think bad shit will happen, it will most likely will happen and in this case it's true. Now for the actual detection part. You could say they exist or they don't, the best thing you can do is just record yourself doing the work. Take any camera, putting on and just record yourself. I find it more comforting when I know whatever I am doing, it's being recorded, it gives you a since of security and really does calm your nerves, I used to be a bit edgy but then I came to grips or more practically I started recording things and then I looked for logical explanations, in my case it was just my nerves and my mind portraying what I wanted to feel like.

Is there no such things as ghost, it's a yes or no question. It usually depends on how sensitive you are to this subject. But this was true I would be haunted by ghosts and demons everyday since if you're religious you're not protected by them and they can attack you at any time. So far no one has played with my dick while I was passed out, I do get dreams but they're just a mixture of my day to day activities.

Even when you're listening to music you're mind is still sensitive to outside sounds because as I said before you're already prepared to hear just that sound. So, calm yourself, document things and act like a scientific researcher, the more you get edgy the more you will miss the details.

Plus you're truly fucked, just scream DFG IS A FAGGOT and the ghost will leave you alone. No one likes to be fucked by me :p.

just ask my door handle. (it's broken btw)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2013
    That is true to an extent, as I know some of the history of the dwelling (not all, mind). However I'm not on edge - somehow I'm able to compose myself as I walk to work (about 40 minutes, uphill) and know that anticipating things can make them ten times worse. Was on a Fright Nights tour of Drury Lane Theatre in Covent Garden one night and that scared me and my buddy shitless. Both saw the same thing at the same time without any possibility of giving away clues of what it was (ie. we wrote down the details on a piece of paper and phone, then compared and it was spot on).
    I am rather tempted to record something. Tomorrow is my last shift alone there, so will pack my dictaphone. it's not cheap, so should be good at picking up things if it were to get creepy. If anything I feel rather safe there, almost like someone's watching over me (inb4 Catholic Paedo jokes). I do recall you talking about ghosts a while back when you were trying to get to sleep.

Anyways, as it's Catholic I am sure shouting out Islamic things would help greatly!

Oh and the most annoying part of the work, more scary than a phantom Demonic Child is that the song "Sticks and Stones" by Arlissa is played multiple times. Does my fucking head in.

Gonna get bits ready to take tomorrow now. Determined to prove something's there. Glad my hench Polish coworker is back on Monday. Nothing fucks with him lol.

So anyone else here seen or experienced anything creepy without good explanation? Had a few, as mentioned in the Theatre, as well as at my Gramps' place with glasses being pushed off a kitchen surface when they were touching the wall, so nowhere near the edge.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2013
    RemadE wrote: »
    That is true to an extent, as I know some of the history of the dwelling (not all, mind). However I'm not on edge - somehow I'm able to compose myself as I walk to work (about 40 minutes, uphill) and know that anticipating things can make them ten times worse. Was on a Fright Nights tour of Drury Lane Theatre in Covent Garden one night and that scared me and my buddy shitless. Both saw the same thing at the same time without any possibility of giving away clues of what it was (ie. we wrote down the details on a piece of paper and phone, then compared and it was spot on).
    I am rather tempted to record something. Tomorrow is my last shift alone there, so will pack my dictaphone. it's not cheap, so should be good at picking up things if it were to get creepy. If anything I feel rather safe there, almost like someone's watching over me (inb4 Catholic Paedo jokes). I do recall you talking about ghosts a while back when you were trying to get to sleep.

Anyways, as it's Catholic I am sure shouting out Islamic things would help greatly!

Oh and the most annoying part of the work, more scary than a phantom Demonic Child is that the song "Sticks and Stones" by Arlissa is played multiple times. Does my fucking head in.

Gonna get bits ready to take tomorrow now. Determined to prove something's there. Glad my hench Polish coworker is back on Monday. Nothing fucks with him lol.

So anyone else here seen or experienced anything creepy without good explanation? Had a few, as mentioned in the Theatre, as well as at my Gramps' place with glasses being pushed off a kitchen surface when they were touching the wall, so nowhere near the edge.

Good idea, as for me, like Aliens, Ghosts are fucking racists when it comes to me. Would it be mad if a female ghost could shag me in the night? I mean is it that MUCH TO ASK FOR A GHOST TO FUCK ME OR LET ME FUCK IT! Fucking ghosts.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2013
    The night my grandfather died is the closest thing I've ever had to a paranormal experience. We didn't know he was going to die soon, he had been ill for a long time (strokes).

I didn't know he had passed away but that night I felt a presence in my room, as if their was someone in there. There was also a shimmering light near the door. It made me feel very nervous. It's hard to explain, and sounds crappy when written down.

Some people would say it's just me projecting feelings onto something mundane or that it was the moon. I can't prove them right or wrong.

So in answer: I don't know what happens when we die, so it's possible.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited March 2013
    My mother was given a US coin of some sort by her great aunt.

a few years later my mother was in a night club ( in New Zealand ) and she found a one Dollar note on the floor ( USD ) so she picked it up and kept it.

the next morning she woke up and got the call he Great aunt died that night o.O

When I was young we had a seance on new years eve, at midnight we realised its the new year (duh ) we all hugged each other and cheered/what have you, but we forgot about the seance and did not close it properly.

Long story short alot of strange things happened, this going bump in the night etc. Mother had her hippy friend do some weird shit with some crystals and incense and they fucked off.

I believe
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2013
    I want moar details.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited March 2013
    I think ghosts are real but not in the way we preserve it.

To me, it's a temporal imprint left behind. It could also be a temporal distortion where the future and the past has some sort of interaction. This explains why whenever there's a "hot spot" for paranormal activity, there's always high levels of electrical and magnetic pulses. This also explains why paranormal "hot spots" are either located in magnetic field leylines or places with high source or radiation.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2013
    There are two parts to man's spirit. One part never ceases to exist and is incarnated many times as many different personalities.The other part only exists once and for the short period of time we call life. That is what makes you Joe or Bob or Fred or W/E the fuck your name is. In cases where the personality experiences great trauma, injustice, or perhaps felt it had unfinished affairs that have to be concluded that personality can linger through force of will. These are what some call hauntings.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2013
    RemadE wrote: »
    Determined to prove something's there.

If it's proof of a catholic haunting you want go to work dressed as a choir boy.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2013
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited March 2013
    My thinking on this is along the same lines as (nameless one). If it is anything external it is likely some sort of temporal disturbance relating to some sort of unknown interaction of known natural processes. I myself have experienced some weird shit with electrical disturbances. I am highly sensitive to them, for instance everytime I have been near a storm that produces a tornado I have acurately predicted where it would touch down, I just sort of get a weird tingling sensation and feel drawn towards a particular direction. Certain places also fuck with me, they make me dizzy and uncomfortable, one such place I have been had active hot springs. I also wear electronics out for no fucking reason no matter how meticulous I am in maintaing it.