Dwarf Fortress

ArkansanArkansan Regular
edited July 2013 in Spurious Generalities
Anyone here ever play Dwarf Fortress? It's a pretty wicked little game with a Fortress mode which is a complex city sim and an adventure mode which is a fairly standard rougelike with a hilariously gory combat system. It has a random world generator that builds worlds that builds detailed histories so it has a ridiculous amount of replay value. For a good sense of the ways things can go hilariously wrong in this game look up Boatmurdered an old succession game that kept a detailed log. I should mention that the graphics are in ASCII but there are some good tile sets for that make it pretty playable.

link
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Really liking the page as I am getting into ASCII art lately due to getting back to being a lone Ranger pirate.
    The game sounds pretty funny. Will do some reading into it and may give it a go. Thanks for bringing this to my attention :hai::thumbsup:
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited July 2013
    *lights candles, finishes drawing pentagram on floor*

Let this act of thread necromancy commence!

Seriously I have been playing the fuck out of this game lately. This game is the poster boy for emergent experience, I finally got off my ass and learned how to play the fort mode. My last one ended with a goblin siege, my spear dwarfs valiantly slew the goblins cave dragon war beasts but were decimated. I regrouped the spear dwarfs and brought out my crossbow dwarfs to make a stand at the fortress entrance, they fought and died (mostly died) bravely. After that the goblins descended the stairs pillaging the farms and great hall before making it into the sleeping quarters.

There I hastily drafted another squad but in the melee most of the recruits were picked off individually. My milita captain traumatized by the carnage wandered to the surface to take a drink. The defense of the sleeping quarters was left to a lone miner. He had grabbed a shirt of mail and his pick and met the goblins head on. He killed four outright and wounded many others one by one his wounds piled up. Finally my milita commander rushed to his side and joined the fray, thy killed several more goblins but both finally succumbed to countless wounds. (The miner literally fought on whilst missing a hand and having a punctured lung)

After those two died the goblin siege broke but the forts fate was already sealed. Out of 197 dwarf only 127 survived and many of the survivors despondent over the loss of friends and family went berserk. I finally abandoned it.

Seriously this game has me like a crack addict, the adventure mode is bad assed too but does not produce bad ass stories as often. Some of you guys should learn to play so we can get a succession game going.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2013
    Arkansan wrote: »
    *lights candles, finishes drawing pentagram on floor*

Let this act of thread necromancy commence!

Seriously I have been playing the fuck out of this game lately. This game is the poster boy for emergent experience, I finally got off my ass and learned how to play the fort mode. My last one ended with a goblin siege, my spear dwarfs valiantly slew the goblins cave dragon war beasts but were decimated. I regrouped the spear dwarfs and brought out my crossbow dwarfs to make a stand at the fortress entrance, they fought and died (mostly died) bravely. After that the goblins descended the stairs pillaging the farms and great hall before making it into the sleeping quarters.

There I hastily drafted another squad but in the melee most of the recruits were picked off individually. My milita captain traumatized by the carnage wandered to the surface to take a drink. The defense of the sleeping quarters was left to a lone miner. He had grabbed a shirt of mail and his pick and met the goblins head on. He killed four outright and wounded many others one by one his wounds piled up. Finally my milita commander rushed to his side and joined the fray, thy killed several more goblins but both finally succumbed to countless wounds. (The miner literally fought on whilst missing a hand and having a punctured lung)

After those two died the goblin siege broke but the forts fate was already sealed. Out of 197 dwarf only 127 survived and many of the survivors despondent over the loss of friends and family went berserk. I finally abandoned it.

Seriously this game has me like a crack addict, the adventure mode is bad assed too but does not produce bad ass stories as often. Some of you guys should learn to play so we can get a succession game going.

I am going to share this on Facebook, just to see how many will follow and Twitter as well. I downloaded the game as well. LET THE ADDICTION BEGIN!
    edited July 2013
    The game has a steep learning curve, but they have an excellent wiki with a quick start guide that will have you set up in no time. Also just ask me if you have any questions, I am no master but I have the basics down. Anyway go to the wiki, seriously it is the best way to learn the game, look up the fortress mode quick start guide. Also look up something called the Lazy Newb pack, it has a bunch of tile sets that pretty up the graphics as well as some helpful utilities.

Also remember that losing is half the fun of the game, as it will often happen in hilarious and unexpected ways. You just sort of learn to enjoy the ride.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2013
    Arkansan wrote: »
    The game has a steep learning curve, but they have an excellent wiki with a quick start guide that will have you set up in no time. Also just ask me if you have any questions, I am no master but I have the basics down. Anyway go to the wiki, seriously it is the best way to learn the game, look up the fortress mode quick start guide. Also look up something called the Lazy Newb pack, it has a bunch of tile sets that pretty up the graphics as well as some helpful utilities.

Also remember that losing is half the fun of the game, as it will often happen in hilarious and unexpected ways. You just sort of learn to enjoy the ride.

Fuck I played it, way over my head man. But will keep on trying.
    edited July 2013
    Yeah man just stick with it, it pays off in the end. Find the quick start guide on the wiki and follow it and you should get your first fort up and running. I quit on it once or twice but after following the guide I got the hang of it. You may also try the adventure mode for a bit to get familiar with the lay out, it too has a quick start guide on the wiki.
    edited July 2013
    oh I meant to link to these last night but all I had the time was my phone and it was too difficult to do it from that piece of shit, anyway these are video tutorials that make getting started a hell of a lot easier with this game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo&list=PL06686270DA5FF439

There is a video covering each aspect of the game, there are other video tutorials out there but I found these really helpful as they covered one thing at a time instead of overwhelming you with shit to learn.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2013
    I have heard of it but never played it. But to be hoest I have very little time for online at this point in my life.
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I know how it goes, this really the only game I have been playing here lately. Shit is just too busy to really game the way I used to.