Facebook - Fucking with your privacy since 2004 and still going strong

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited June 2014 in Man Cave
Well

p2uD0kC.jpg

Failbook!!!
FACEBOOK has been forced to defend a “creepy” new feature that allows it to activate your smartphone’s microphone and listen in.

The announcement of the feature has sparked an online backlash, with users mobilising in an effort to get the social media giant to kill off the development.
In what objectors have described as a “Big Brother move”, the feature turns on the phone’s mic and picks up on what is happening, such as music or a TV playing in the background.

Facebook will then automatically add at the end of their status update something like “Watching Game of Thrones” or “Listening to Coldplay”.
The feature, which works in much the same way as song-identification app Shazam, freaked out a number of Facebook users and an online petition is gathering steam.

It had received 542,544 signatures as of this morning.
“Facebook just announced a new feature to its app, which will let it listen to our conversations and surroundings through our own phones’ microphone. Talk about a Big Brother move,” the petition reads.

“Facebook says the feature will be used for harmless things, like identifying the song or TV show playing in the background, but by using the phone’s microphone every time you write a status update, it has the ability to listen to everything.

“Not only is this move just downright creepy, it’s also a massive threat to our privacy. The feature is opt-in, but many won’t even read the warnings. If we act now, we can stop Facebook in its tracks before it has a chance to release the feature.”

Facebook responded to the backlash late last week, posting a myth-busting statement in an effort to lessen users’ fears.

The post stressed that the feature was optional and the listening-in only occurred when a user was writing a status update.

Facebook also maintained that it was not interested in listening to your private conversations.

“No matter how interesting your conversation, this feature does not store sound or recordings. Facebook isn’t listening to or storing your conversations,” the statement read.

“Here’s how it works: if you choose to turn the feature on, when you write a status update, the app converts any sound into an audio fingerprint on your phone. This fingerprint is sent to our servers to try and match it against our database of audio and TV fingerprints. By design, we do not store fingerprints from your device for any amount of time. And in any event, the fingerprints can’t be reversed into the original audio because they don’t contain enough information.”

EsDu30r.jpg http://www.news.com.au/technology/facebook/users-slam-creepy-new-feature-that-allows-facebook-to-listen-in/story-fnjwvn4n-1226940183022

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2014
    Fuck that dirty Jew
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2014
    "Facebook also maintained that it was not interested in listening to your private conversations". I've never read such bullshit.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2014
    Hey guys I am doing my home...Watching ANAL COMPLEX II

Yep, that's the future. Fuck FB but I did stop using it anyway.
  • Wow. Honestly, this, in a nutshell, summarizes why I fucking detest tech companies. They have no problem infringing on people's privacy and forcing people to deal with endless "TOS" statements that can change at anytime, and are wrote in a way that is nearly incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't have a law degree (without hours of reading and rereading and posting queries online about certain legalese).

Then on days like today you go online and see all these media companies (who also benefit from digital invasions of privacy by digitally tracking your devices without your knowledge) posting all these articles about how the Fappening is such an invasion of privacy and blah blah blah.

Well you know what? Fuck them. I think a lot of people really do value their online privacy, but corporate agendas keep support and movements against "legal" business cyberstalking from gaining any mainstream momentum. Really, all the news companies that use fingerprinting technology to follow your computer around from website to website without the use of cookies and without your knowledge do NOT want that advertising cash cow to get it's throat slit, so they don't want to report about it even though it is of concern to anyone who finds out about it happening.

And FB is one of the worst offenders of all. I remember when it first came out there were online statements that actually assured college users that it would be for college students only. Then, as soon as they gained a large enough foothold BAM: it's everywhere, and people who posted things were losing jobs and etc.

I haven't used FB in years, but something like this is still my problem. Because NO COMPANY should be allowed to access those functions of your phone unless you approved your phone's microphone to be turned on, the information to be recorded, and allowing that information to be sent out. Fuck it, I'd rather have a phone that acted like a retarded version of Vista than a corporate tracking device that I never can trust at all. And for some reason, this bottom-level of respect for privacy isn't respected. Why? Because money, that's why fucko *Mark Fuckerburg voice*

Something like this affects US ALL, because it isn't really possible to function in society without at least a cell phone (try explaining to your boss that you couldn't answer their calls because you were away from your home phone, lol, hell, try only giving your job a land line number and not your cell number, see what happens).

If a major, billion dollar corporation is allowed to get away with using this kind of technology without making sure each and every use is pre-approved then where does it end? I tried to download a top flashlight app from Google months ago, in the permissions it required access to gps data as well as contact list/messages, of course I didn't download it, but I know a shit-ton of people did, just figuring that since it was on GPlay it must have been trustworthy. What a load of horsecock juice. /rantover
  • Wow. Honestly, this, in a nutshell, summarizes why I fucking detest tech companies. They have no problem infringing on people's privacy and forcing people to deal with endless "TOS" statements that can change at anytime, and are wrote in a way that is nearly incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't have a law degree (without hours of reading and rereading and posting queries online about certain legalese).

Then on days like today you go online and see all these media companies (who also benefit from digital invasions of privacy by digitally tracking your devices without your knowledge) posting all these articles about how the Fappening is such an invasion of privacy and blah blah blah.

Well you know what? Fuck them. I think a lot of people really do value their online privacy, but corporate agendas keep support and movements against "legal" business cyberstalking from gaining any mainstream momentum. Really, all the news companies that use fingerprinting technology to follow your computer around from website to website without the use of cookies and without your knowledge do NOT want that advertising cash cow to get it's throat slit, so they don't want to report about it even though it is of concern to anyone who finds out about it happening.

And FB is one of the worst offenders of all. I remember when it first came out there were online statements that actually assured college users that it would be for college students only. Then, as soon as they gained a large enough foothold BAM: it's everywhere, and people who posted things were losing jobs and etc.

I haven't used FB in years, but something like this is still my problem. Because NO COMPANY should be allowed to access those functions of your phone unless you approved your phone's microphone to be turned on, the information to be recorded, and allowing that information to be sent out. Fuck it, I'd rather have a phone that acted like a retarded version of Vista than a corporate tracking device that I never can trust at all. And for some reason, this bottom-level of respect for privacy isn't respected. Why? Because money, that's why fucko *Mark Fuckerburg voice*

Something like this affects US ALL, because it isn't really possible to function in society without at least a cell phone (try explaining to your boss that you couldn't answer their calls because you were away from your home phone, lol, hell, try only giving your job a land line number and not your cell number, see what happens).

If a major, billion dollar corporation is allowed to get away with using this kind of technology without making sure each and every use is pre-approved then where does it end? I tried to download a top flashlight app from Google months ago, in the permissions it required access to gps data as well as contact list/messages, of course I didn't download it, but I know a shit-ton of people did, just figuring that since it was on GPlay it must have been trustworthy. What a load of horsecock juice. /rantover
    First of all Kudos for the response, secondly holy hell where the hell were you! It's great to see someone who has the same ideals as me. I don't really trust any of these companies, I use these tools and put in fake information and usually nothing of importance is said.

But I do hate the double standard when it comes to my information and privacy, if my images were leaked, no one would give a flying fuck, same applies to other bits. Plus FBI or any law enforcement unfortunately isn't there to safeguard you, they're just building a net and slowly cutting off your balls.

Regarding Google Store, the permission issue is a big one, and now with the new update it's even more confusing. I just gave up on the idea of filtering stuff, I wish I could just block or lock down few access areas so apps can't use it. I just started using Smart Phone like this July and I do love it but I also hate that I am pretty much naked right now. Plus I am just a sitting, walking target.

And most people don't really care about any of this, they just act like zombies, creating awareness doesn't do shit either. Instead you're forced to just sit and find places such as this where you can just connect and find ways to counter them.

Overall, fucked up world we live in.

• First of all Kudos for the response, secondly holy hell where the hell were you! It's great to see someone who has the same ideals as me. I don't really trust any of these companies, I use these tools and put in fake information and usually nothing of importance is said.

But I do hate the double standard when it comes to my information and privacy, if my images were leaked, no one would give a flying fuck, same applies to other bits. Plus FBI or any law enforcement unfortunately isn't there to safeguard you, they're just building a net and slowly cutting off your balls.

Regarding Google Store, the permission issue is a big one, and now with the new update it's even more confusing. I just gave up on the idea of filtering stuff, I wish I could just block or lock down few access areas so apps can't use it. I just started using Smart Phone like this July and I do love it but I also hate that I am pretty much naked right now. Plus I am just a sitting, walking target.

And most people don't really care about any of this, they just act like zombies, creating awareness doesn't do shit either. Instead you're forced to just sit and find places such as this where you can just connect and find ways to counter them.

Overall, fucked up world we live in.

I was late to the smart phone party too, I got my first smartphone plan in 2011 after most people I knew already had one for quite a while. The first thing that shocked me was how little you could actually do: everything seemed to be, "click here do this," when I was under the impression that I was buying a device that actually used it's abilities to the fullest (I've seen people load up smart phones with games that years ago would have needed an actual computer to run, but they had to hack their phones to do it).

Even basic things that I could do with my old cell phone aren't available on my "Smartphone," like seeing a complete date and time stamp for all my messages instead of seeing just a date and "yesterday" with no specific time whatsoever(which really can be problematic).

On my old phone I could easily record something with the pre-built-in recorder that I didn't have to worry about sending audio clips of everything to some remote server, and I could set any of my audio clips as a ringtone with complete ease. I could see a date and time stamp of every message. My new "smartphone" can do neither of these basic operations without some fidgeting.

I recently started using Linux, a year or so ago there was a story that got little mainstream exposure about the release of an actual Linux-based smartphone, as in real linux, not google's version...but of course it hasn't been released. But Amazon has a heavily publicized phone with an actual "buy" button using their "patented" one-click shopping system that is legal in America but was shot down in Europe because it was a bunch of obvious bullshit that only a bunch of bought off fucking tools would allow to exist.

I know what you mean about using fake names, I got fucked over by the company of my current smartphone, but I realized during this fucking over that there is an advantage to dealing with some lying bastards over other lying bastards (and that is why I still use them lol). If one were so inclined, one could say "fuck you bitch," and buy a smart phone and pay for it under a cat/dog/rabid chimpanzee's name as well (Just make sure the animal has a completely normal human name that is vague but believable. Also, the animal probably shouldn't be yours, not only because it sharing a last name with you could be compromising, but because Mr. Possum Jenkins could turn state's evidence and snitch on you if the feds ever picked him up).

And you are right, people just go around completely unconcerned. I think one reason for this is because of a Jim Jone's effect: Everyone is trusting and drinking the koolaid without asking questions. And the questions just get swept away. Think about it: The whole fappening situation has the FBI and CNN and every other news outlet blaming the "hacker" for releasing the pictures, but never actually holding Apple accountable. Apple makes BILLIONS of dollars yet some person was able to exploit their system. One of the reasons is because Apple wants to be able to fuck people over at will (You hear about the Apple patent that slipped out which basically was a way to shut down all recording functions of every smartphone upon the command of the licensee? Yeah...something like that won't be abused and then swept away all the time), they could give two fucks less about our privacy.

And the government is even worse when it comes to respecting privacy. And the media companies just keep pouring that koolaid, not caring about who drinks it, even if it is Mr. Possum Jenkins. Poor Mr. Possum Jenkins...so young, so young :'(

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    First our privacy next our freedom of speech ...... Fuck them all, that's what I say.

Good to see others taking an interest in this. :thumbsup:

I don't even own a smart phone by teh waiz. :D

• And the government is even worse when it comes to respecting privacy. And the media companies just keep pouring that koolaid, not caring about who drinks it, even if it is Mr. Possum Jenkins. Poor Mr. Possum Jenkins...so young, so young :'(
    Well, true, I live in Pakistan so trusting the Government or the Companies is last on my list. I never trust them, but yeah back when Smart Phone were rolling out, you were limited. But you know things have changed with Sony Xperia Z2 (at least for me) I own a powerful Laptop and Desktop system, so I wasn't into getting a Smart Phone at all, but it has it's quirks, especially if you use Kik, Snapchat.

But regarding privacy, I actually lost the war already thanks to NORSE SHIT ASSHOLES, so I am already fucked, and since I do post online and on different forums etc, I stand out like a fucking RED FLAG, however I am no threat to them.

Regarding Apple, well fuck them and fuck the nameless hacker. I am more concerned about Celebs trusting Apple and then whining like bitches when shit hit the fan, I mean okay we saw your tits, so what but nope, my tits are special. I even got mad at Reddit for their double standards regarding this situation.

If you really want to stay alive, I guess blending in helps.
    First our privacy next our freedom of speech ...... Fuck them all, that's what I say.

Good to see others taking an interest in this. :thumbsup:

I don't even own a smart phone by teh waiz. :D
    You're hard core BK!

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    Dfg wrote: »
    You're hard core BK!
    You know it my paki princess! ;)