Online dating

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
How do you feel about it? Ladies, would you meet a guy from the internet? Guys, would you ask, "Does this smell like chloroform to you?" Would you start a serious relationship with someone you met on the internet? Do you belong to internet dating sites? Have you had sex with people you've met on the internet?

Comments

• Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't recommend it. People you meet online are faking their personality, no matter how sure you are they're legit.
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've done it. It was fun.

It's really not much different to meeting someone elsewhere.

The key is to meet them as soon as possible. No need to drag it out.

Also, I've had the most success messaging girls that don't have pictures uploaded. Yes, it's real risky, since most of them are probably fat, but there are some real gems out there too. Just make sure you ask for a pic and get one within a few emails.
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Ahh, internet dating. I've met 8 women off the net IRL, and banged 6 of them. Banged 5 of them on the first night meeting. Most I didn't see again. I'm still with my GF of a year and a half that I met on the net. I find it's a good way to feel people out without the in-person awkwardness.

There is some tricks to higher success. If you have pics, you'll get more responses. This is great for guys, but not so great if you're messaging hot women. Hot women get so many replies that even if they liked you, your next message will be lost in the sea of douches that occupy her inbox. Like Agent 008 said, message women without pics, or aim lower than you would IRL. I find that most women on dating sites are unrealistic about what kind of men are out there, and their expectations of what they want to find. Also, don't get excited about any girl, cause anything people say on the net doesn't mean shit, until you're sitting down to dinner with them.

One day when I'm not so busy, I'll sit down and write up a guide to profiles and messaging girls on dating sites.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Master wrote: »
    Ahh, internet dating. I've met 8 women off the net IRL, and banged 6 of them. Banged 5 of them on the first night meeting. Most I didn't see again. I'm still with my GF of a year and a half that I met on the net. I find it's a good way to feel people out without the in-person awkwardness.

There is some tricks to higher success. If you have pics, you'll get more responses. This is great for guys, but not so great if you're messaging hot women. Hot women get so many replies that even if they liked you, your next message will be lost in the sea of douches that occupy her inbox. Like Agent 008 said, message women without pics, or aim lower than you would IRL. I find that most women on dating sites are unrealistic about what kind of men are out there, and their expectations of what they want to find. Also, don't get excited about any girl, cause anything people say on the net doesn't mean shit, until you're sitting down to dinner with them.

One day when I'm not so busy, I'll sit down and write up a guide to profiles and messaging girls on dating sites.

That's awesome. I used to meets girls from online, banged a few as well. Definitely post the guide when you're done with it.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    Greenbull wrote: »
    34q1jqu.jpg
    2v8h16g.jpg

Fucking lol.
    edited July 2010
    Haha that comic is me. One difference - the day we REALLY did meet everything went perfect like that.

Only she blocked me when she went home and we never talked again. :( [/200th time I've brought that up]
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    People are always so much different on the internet whether you're trying to be or not.
  • thatsMYdogthatsMYdog Regular
    edited July 2010
    I was talking to my now husband 5 years ago on totse

That comic is exactly how the first time we met went, just awesome. Then when I had to go back home yeah it was like the last frame hahahahaha
    edited July 2010
    thatsMYdog wrote: »

That comic is exactly how the first time we met went, just awesome. Then when I had to go back home yeah it was like the last frame hahahahaha

hahahahahaaha

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA :mad:

i hate my life.
    edited July 2010
    There, I fixed it. :o

fixedlololol.png
    edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    hahahahahaaha

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA :mad:

i hate my life.

I can laugh now lol

but then it sucked pretty bad... sorry :(

Don't give up!
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010

On totse... I dont care what anyone said it sounds pretty badass to me. Haha
    edited July 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    On totse... I dont care what anyone said it sounds pretty badass to me. Haha

IIRC we were talking about scarification
    :cool:
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    ZOMG

Damn I dont even know what to say to that besides. AWESOME!!
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010

I just suddenly remembered what you and your husband look like from 5 years ago. He's in the military, right?
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited July 2010
    Online dating is highly suggested, for even the internet gets lonely and should be taken out on a date every now and then, states Rolf.

Love of the internet leads to enlightenment.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have gotten a girlfriend from online 1... 2.... 2 times. I have had sex with 1 of said girlfriends.

In my opinion, internet dating - win.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    GFTW isoape
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    What is GFTW?
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Go for the win. Sorry next time I will just spell it all out.
  • ZeldaZelda New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    I've met two guys online. Both were good experiences. One turned into a nice, long relationship. The other one was a nice occasional fuck buddy.
    edited July 2010
    iSoape wrote: »
    I just suddenly remembered what you and your husband look like from 5 years ago. He's in the military, right?

Yup! Oh yeah I remember telling totse about it and most just lold and hoped I'd get a divorce. and someone said I looked like ringo starr. I laughed my fucking ass off because it was true, that pic sucked
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was bullshit; but shit works for meeting people. And fucking them at times.
    edited July 2010
    What? So what sites do you use to meet people?
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010
    I had an account on a shit site like HotorNot, except Hispanic, lulz.

I had a score of 7.9 ftw.
    edited July 2010
    What? So what sites do you use to meet people?

Plentyoffish is full of trashy people. You know, where you spend 20 minutes writing a funny, relevant message to a girl, but she is too thick to understand it so all you get is "wat" in response.

Okcupid I've had more luck with. Although again, it's not easy to find a pretty girl thats also got at least half a brain and has a sense of humour.
    edited July 2010
    Agent 008 wrote: »
    Plentyoffish is full of trashy people. You know, where you spend 20 minutes writing a funny, relevant message to a girl, but she is too thick to understand it so all you get is "wat" in response.

Hahahahahaha!
    Okcupid I've had more luck with. Although again, it's not easy to find a pretty girl thats also got at least half a brain and has a sense of humour.

I don't understand why women go on dating sites. Wouldn't they figure any guy who wants to contact them on there is a loser by default?
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't personally dated online, but my cousin (Who is also a close friend) has several times. They didn't really work out though. One girl was from Norway, but like 5 years younger than him lol
    edited July 2010
    I don't understand why women go on dating sites. Wouldn't they figure any guy who wants to contact them on there is a loser by default?

Aww, well if a bunch of losers are trying to contact her what does that make her?? ;)
    edited July 2010

Remember what I told you about so many people having trouble meeting other people?

There you go.

In fact, I think this (incorrect) stigma that you mentioned is kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The nice girls I did meet on the dating sites didn't want anyone they know to find out they were on one. I am pretty sure this stigma is holding a lot of people back, even though they are having trouble meeting people outside of internet, like anyone else.
    edited July 2010
    I haven't personally dated online, but my cousin (Who is also a close friend) has several times. They didn't really work out though. One girl was from Norway, but like 5 years younger than him lol

It seems like there is less of a stigma in Northern Europe. And I can say from experience, in, say, Russia, there is hardly any stigma at all. Local area IRC channels are the norm there. It's much more advanced in that sense, maybe simply because there were basically no conventional ways of meeting people (like pubs) when the internet got introduced.
    edited July 2010
    Remember what I told you about so many people having trouble meeting other people?

There you go.

In fact, I think this (incorrect) stigma that you mentioned is kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The nice girls I did meet on the dating sites didn't want anyone they know to find out they were on one. I am pretty sure this stigma is holding a lot of people back, even though they are having trouble meeting people outside of internet, like anyone else.

This. One of my friends recently signed up for okcupid and went on a date. She didn't like the guy, but she was embarrassed to tell me she was on that site until I told her I had an account. I gave up on it a long time ago, though, because I never got serious replies. Most of the girls online are fat or have kids, so it's probably better to avoid online dating altogether.
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    This. One of my friends recently signed up for okcupid and went on a date. She didn't like the guy, but she was embarrassed to tell me she was on that site until I told her I had an account. I gave up on it a long time ago, though, because I never got serious replies. Most of the girls online are fat or have kids, so it's probably better to avoid online dating altogether.

It's a shame, really.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea of online relationships that remain online for a while. I don't know about taking an online relationship past the online aspect though. It seems there are too many things that could go wrong, it's probably not worth it.
    edited July 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    I like the idea of online relationships that remain online for a while. I don't know about taking an online relationship past the online aspect though. It seems there are too many things that could go wrong, it's probably not worth it.

Well, from my experience there is a "transition period" - when you first move the relationship from online to real life, there is a bit of a shock, understandably - but very soon (very much depends on the guy here, he's got to make sure he doesn't behave altogether different in real life than he does online - the girl will follow) you realize that it's the same person, and it just gets back to the "online" level and wayyy pass that, which is really awesome. It's totally worth it.

But yeah, that's the reason why I would advise to move the relationship to "real life" as soon as possible. Or at least, use voice and webcams in the meantime. The internet is just a communication medium, after all.

I know personally a few couples, that met online, got married after a few years and have been happily together for over half a decade. They could've never possibly have met if not for the web.
    edited July 2010
    Namaste wrote: »

I saw your picture. I see why you would want to keep it online.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    I "personally" think that you would have more luck going to a bar or a club or something and actually talking to real people. Rather then take the chance on the internet. Truth is it does work but there is always a chance that something will happen that will leave you looking at a line-up and tell the cops who it was that raped you. I dont know. You want a date GO OUT and get one. I dont care what you look like. It doesnt matter everyone out there has somebody but you have to go find them for real. Not sit on a computer getting fat praying thats someone will check you out.
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I saw your picture. I see why you would want to keep it online.

Where? I feel like I'm missing out.
    edited July 2010
    I "personally" think that you would have more luck going to a bar or a club or something and actually talking to real people. Rather then take the chance on the internet. Truth is it does work but there is always a chance that something will happen that will leave you looking at a line-up and tell the cops who it was that raped you. I dont know. You want a date GO OUT and get one. I dont care what you look like. It doesnt matter everyone out there has somebody but you have to go find them for real. Not sit on a computer getting fat praying thats someone will check you out.

I have to disagree. How is going to a bar or a club any safer than meeting someone on the internet?

The internet, if we developed a culture for it, would allow for much better dating simply because it allows you to easily get to know a much bigger pool of people.
    Also, online people are much more approachable. So I disagree with this stigma that being on the computer = lame/loserish/etc. It is really, really counterproductive.

You know they do "behaviour placement" in TV shows now? As much as it sickens me, they should do that with cool kids being on the internet. :cool:
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to disagree. How is going to a bar or a club any safer than meeting someone on the internet?

The internet, if we developed a culture for it, would allow for much better dating simply because it allows you to easily get to know a much bigger pool of people.
    Also, online people are much more approachable. So I disagree with this stigma that being on the computer = lame/loserish/etc. It is really, really counterproductive.

You know they do "behaviour placement" in TV shows now? As much as it sickens me, they should do that with cool kids being on the internet. :cool:

A bar or club were just small examples. I dont think its nonesense to find friends on the internet but you dont truly know somebody until you meet them in person and know them for real. When you meet somebody online you dont know them for real. I dont know how to better explain. I'm not trying to piss anybody off but I mean I really wish you would understand its important to make a standing relationship im real life and not virtual life.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't personally dated online, but my cousin

Rolf stopped reading there, shame on thou. :facepalm:
    edited July 2010
    A bar or club were just small examples. I dont think its nonesense to find friends on the internet but you dont truly know somebody until you meet them in person and know them for real. When you meet somebody online you dont know them for real. I dont know how to better explain. I'm not trying to piss anybody off but I mean I really wish you would understand its important to make a standing relationship im real life and not virtual life.

Alright, I guess you misunderstood me.

The process is as follows: meet online, exchange a few messages, arrange to meet up, take it from there.

In case of a long distance, exchange messages, video chat, arrange to meet up as soon as possible.

We're not talking about the childish "e-girlfriend/boyfriend" thing here. Just a means to find someone you've got potential with (which is easy to judge by exchanging a few messages) and arrange going for some drinks.
    edited August 2010
    A friend of mine recently went on 3 dates with guys she met on okcupid.com. Apparently they all lied about their appearance and hobbies. She was pissed. Do you guys have any recent stories?
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dont use interweb for finding chicks. That is what college is for. Oh and going out and meeting people. But I will admit it may work for some people.