Milky Way in 46 billion pixels

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
Sorry folks, Image not posted in this thread for obvious reasons. :D
Astronomers at the Ruhr-Universitat Bochum in Germany have created the largest image of space ever compiled.

Comprising 268 individual images taken over five years, the photo shows the entire ribbon of the Milky Way in a mind-boggling 46 billion pixels. The complete image measures 855,000 by 54,000 pixels -- about 2,000 times the size of a picture taken with a 20-megapixel digital camera.

"If you would want to display this in full resolution on full HD TV screens, you would need more than 22,000 screens," Moritz Hackstein, a PhD candidate who conducted the space survey, told CBS News.

At a whopping 194 gigabytes, the image file is about four orders of magitude larger than a high-res picture on your computer, or about the size of a 20,000-song mp3 library.

Hackstein worked with professors at the university to create an online visualization tool that lets you see the full galactic image and zoom in for a closer look. (It takes a while to load, naturally. Be patient.)

You can type the name of a star to in the search box to go to that part of picture. A search for the term "M8" leads to the lagoon nebula:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/largest-space-map-ever-made-shows-milky-way-in-46-billion-pixels/

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    Pretty cool.

Article is full of shit statistical comparisons though...How many libraries of congress is that?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    Update: Wow, I hear Google is in the process of adding street view to it!
  • bornkiller wrote: »
    Update: Wow, I hear Google is in the process of adding street view to it!

Funny!

So it's obvious why it's not posted (194 gigabytes?)

But I don't want to wait for an ataquated system of load x region to view. I want to be able to smoothly pan and or scroll the photo sideways and vertically for hours on end ;)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    Fox7 wrote: »

Wouldn't that be one hell of a monitor to view a scaled image that size? :D
  • bornkiller wrote: »
    Fox7 wrote: »

Wouldn't that be one hell of a monitor to view a scaled image that size? :D

Maybe the side of El Capitan in Yoseimite with a projector.

I just meant panning through the entire photo.. but somewhat joking because it would take forever to do so.. or probably an entire day

• Does google still have the astronomy app? I think it was G Maps or G Earth add in. It was pretty big but yoy could zoom, pan, add layers and FLY!!!!, Hadn't thought about that one in awhile.... If anyone knows how to find it?....???