What Do You Love (or Hate) About the Outdoors?

edited September 2010 in Life
I love the boiling and smothering heat and the Bermuda High which sits upon us for so many weeks here. I love the cesspools all full of mosquitoes and other larvae and oh, those copious mountains that define the landscape will ever capture my heart (and break up funnel clouds). It brings joy to experience the temperance of the seasons as bout of calm before the winters which rival those of the North for a period. What about you?

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate the boiling and smothering heat and the flying insects. I hate when it's so cold you have to bundle up until you're overheated again. I like bright, cloudless, sunny days in the spring and autumn when it isn't deathly hot. Some cumulus clouds are nice too. I love the smell of an impending rainstorm.
  • edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    I love the smell of an impending rainstorm.

Oh God, I forgot to mention that. Thank you for reminding me
    I hate the boiling and smothering heat and the flying insects. I hate when it's so cold you have to bundle up until you're overheated again. I like bright, cloudless, sunny days in the spring and autumn when it isn't deathly hot.

Also, I love the beginning of May happens and all the Wisteria and trees go into bloom and shade on a breezy afternoon. Also, I love going at 60 mph with the windows down after hotboxing a d00b in the summertime.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    That smell is nice too, but I actually mean the smell of the air when thunderclouds are gathering and it's about to start pouring. Driving on a warm, sunny day with the windows down listening to situationally appropriate, upbeat music is the best ever.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    rox liserds trees plants dinisors bugs werms cats soil smell of rain smell of other wether
  • edited July 2010
    That smell is nice too, but I actually mean the smell of the air when thunderclouds are gathering and it's about to start pouring. Driving on a warm, sunny day with the windows down listening to situationally appropriate, upbeat music is the best ever.

According to this that is the smell of ozone pushed down by the energy within the thunderclouds.
  • edited July 2010
    i love everything except fuckin bugs :mad:

Awww ... come on. I love gnats flying in every orifice and African mosquitoes trying to give me malaria.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    At night I love the coolness and refreshing breeze; how everything is so quiet in the immediate surroundings, and that faint hum of vehicles on the horizon.

I love the stars, the feeling of nothingness you get when you try to comprehend them, and the crackling of a midnight bonfire.

In the daytime, I find it hard to get that excited, unless I'm really out in the sticks somewhere. I love pure isolated wilderness; where I can really feel I'm free and responsible for my own actions.
  • edited July 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    At night I love the coolness and refreshing breeze; how everything is so quiet in the immediate surroundings, and that faint hum of vehicles on the horizon.

I love the stars, the feeling of nothingness you get when you try to comprehend them, and the crackling of a midnight bonfire.

In the daytime, I find it hard to get that excited, unless I'm really out in the sticks somewhere. I love pure isolated wilderness; where I can really feel I'm free and responsible for my own actions.

I often love being in outside to find the bounties and contemplate the endless potential I'm standing upon. Often in the fall we get a lot of rainfall so all the mircoflora bloom and it's mah favorite season. Also the smell of honeysuckle reminds me of my childhood so it often acts as a marker through the years.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Hate: Bird poop.
    Love: Everything else.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    According to this that is the smell of ozone pushed down by the energy within the thunderclouds.

Awesome, now I know what that is. :D
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited July 2010
    sound of the ocean
  • mr.bluntmr.blunt Regular
    edited July 2010
    I love when you stumble onto some lake/forest/etc etc that nobody goes to; I love being in a place where you can see more moose, bears, and/or wolves than people. I love sitting by a lake after being up all night sitting around a fire, the water is mirror-flat and everything is silent with maybe some loons calling out.

I hate humidity, I hate the couple weeks of spring when all the snow is melting and turning dirt into mud and nasty slush all over the place and the air just smells like shit, I hate being bitten by bugs when you're trying to sleep.
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited July 2010
    little green snakes that are more afraid of you then you are of them
  • edited July 2010
    mr.blunt wrote: »
    I love when you stumble onto some lake/forest/etc etc that nobody goes to; I love being in a place where you can see more moose, bears, and/or wolves than people. I love sitting by a lake after being up all night sitting around a fire, the water is mirror-flat and everything is silent with maybe some loons calling out.

I hate humidity, I hate the couple weeks of spring when all the snow is melting and turning dirt into mud and nasty slush all over the place and the air just smells like shit, I hate being bitten by bugs when you're trying to sleep.

I can tell you live further north than myself. Around the Springtime, snow is more rare here than the blizzard of '93. I have noticed tough the clay has a rotten smell in the springtime after all that freezing and contraction. I also love when I stumble upon a patch of fruit or Cannabis in the woods. The trying to get a meal is why I try to bring mosquito netting where I go.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate the 105 degree heat index that comes with Summer.
  • MullenMullen Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I hate chiggers and seed ticks.
  • 0omnidirectional0omnidirectional New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    I'm a big fan of clouds.

On 2c-T-2 yesterday I saw a perfect example of ego death being played out right before my eyes. Watching the body slowly dissolve into nothing.

I also saw a perfect mandle brought fractal, with all the infinities on the edges and everything, that one might have been because of the drugs though.
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Love the sounds and smells and getting away from all the morons packed and stacked around me in small appartments.
    Hate the ticks!
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the fact that you're the only ones on the island. I like the fact it's far enough away from the city (well, not really) to actually see the stars. I hate having to watch out for animals and insects (i.e. spiders, crabs, snakes, etc)...

Camping = fun though
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    hammocks :thumbsup: