A thought...

edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So, I'm a smoker, and I am visiting a foreign place right now (The North-West-Territories in Canada), and I have been meeting many people.
I've been hassled a lot by non-smokers, and one distinctive feature I have noticed among them is a depressive, petty, self-loathing that they carry with them everywhere.
My thought: Could everyone have a finite "destructive urge", and could non-smokers, non-addicts, etc., in failing to express that through addiction, become douche-bags?

Comments

• ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    Most certainly. The world is on fire, some of us use this fire to light our smokes while others boil in the heat like lobsters so long forgotten to the sea.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think that unless you flirt with death you cannot fully be aware of life. Not wanting to smoke is one thing, but people who deamonize it often appear to be terrified of their own mortality.
  • edited July 2010
    OOOH! Caesar, you put it very, very well. Thank you! :)
  • edited July 2010
    This thread is deep.

Like the fucking ocean.

I'm a social smoker, and I smoke when stressed so I couldn't give two fucks,
    edited July 2010
    Caesar wrote: »
    I think that unless you flirt with death you cannot fully be aware of life. Not wanting to smoke is one thing, but people who deamonize it often appear to be terrified of their own mortality.

What is it that dies? Maybe it is our deeper nature that people are truly afraid of.

Either way, nonsmokers complaints generally reek of the weak & the petty.
  • edited July 2010
    ^So much, and it's funny, isn't it? The people commiting the BLATANTLY destructive behaviour tend to be warmer, more human, than those that don't. Or rather, than those that hide their self destruction.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^So much, and it's funny, isn't it? The people commiting the BLATANTLY destructive behaviour tend to be warmer, more human, than those that don't. Or rather, than those that hide their self destruction.

Damn, I never noticed this before but I think you're right...
  • edited July 2010
    one time I was at college and talking to the dude next to me about warcraft, and I was explaining how I like the game because it give you just enough time for a smoke between matches. then this douchebag overhears and he is all 'what? You smoke?' I said yeah and he went on this big douchey rant about how much money its costing me and what its doing to my lungs and shit. He was a real douche.
    edited July 2010
    Fuck, I want a cigarette now.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    one time I was at college and talking to the dude next to me about warcraft, and I was explaining how I like the game because it give you just enough time for a smoke between matches. then this douchebag overhears and he is all 'what? You smoke?' I said yeah and he went on this big douchey rant about how much money its costing me and what its doing to my lungs and shit. He was a real douche.

But don't you care about how awesome and how much better he is than you? :facepalm:

I hate smug fuckers like that....
  • edited July 2010
    Damn, I never noticed this before but I think you're right...

But God forbid they can't get a nic fix,,,,,:rolleyes:
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think this surge in public condemnation of smokers (not to mention the fucking cigarette tax :facepalm:) is a conspiracy. Cigarettes are a conciousness expanding drug, partially due to the fact it is common knowledge they are bad for you. If you are willing to potentially cut years off your life and food from your money budget then you are undermining the security obsessed society of ours, not to mention engaging in a non-linear time bending game of roulette. One day in the future they will either become illegal or so expensive that it becomes extortion, given that the current trends continue.

We need a nicotine revolution :mad:
    edited July 2010
    Cigarettes are a conciousness expanding drug, partially due to the fact it is common knowledge they are bad for you.

I disagree, although I think perhaps that the effects of the drug (nicotine) might cause you to believe this.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I disagree, although I think perhaps that the effects of the drug (nicotine) might cause you to believe this.

The context of smoking I find to be conciousness expanding. It seems irrelevant to me if the drug itself has that effect or not.
    edited July 2010
    Well I suppose any risky activity, or any time you put yourself on the line you force yourself to take in a broader perspective, if only for the sake of survival. Desperate times, desperate measures, and all that.

Only the happy will survive.
  • thatsMYdogthatsMYdog Regular
    edited July 2010
    While you're on the topic, I'm not suggesting anything but do you think smokers are smarter than non smokers (or the other way around?). I was pondering this the other day but then I stopped because it seemed like a dumb assumption at the time
    edited July 2010
    I'm fairly sure I read a study where smokers had on average an IQ that was lower by five points next to non smokers but that doesn't mean much. However, smoking does constrict blood flow which is always bad for expanded thinking - and why exercise is still the best nootropic on the market. I wouldn't say anything definitively either way.
  • TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    You ever see that movie Century of the Self? I don't remember the details too well, but one of the examples they gave of an advertising campaign was making it socially acceptable for women to smoke cigarettes. Since smoking was considered more of a mans activity they did it by attaching smoking cigarettes to the idea of a strong independent woman. They kind of tied it in with the growing feminist movement, many women who wanted to be strong and independent started smoking as an act of rebellion. This was decades ago, mind influencing techniques have only gotten more effective, subtle and sophisticated. We should always evaluate our opinions and beliefs and see who stands to profit by implanting them in our minds, in the case of cigarettes its obvious, ov course there are probably groups who have much to gain by stopping people from smoking. Just something to think about.
    edited July 2010
    ^^The effects of nicotine can make you more aggressive and thus "independent". It's not entirely conspiracy, or rather, the conspiracy is founded entirely on lies. Just half truths.
  • edited July 2010
    ^Interesting, rizzo, but I don't really see it's relevance, other than the "nicotine is like the other drugs" sub-thread a little while back.
  • TruthWielderTruthWielder Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok... I understand the whole "fuck the collective bigotry inspired by the mass anti-smoking campaigns and the ignorant public" but lets be realistic in our assertions.

Smoking, whether you like it or not, has no effect on your intelligence. The only point I could easily see argued in relation to your cognitive abilities would be that as an addiction it is a distracting and destructive tendency. Or perhaps even that the moments spent smoking cause a person to be more genuinely reflective. Sure. But its nothing in the way of clearly quantifiable data. Just live and let live, and when people tell you about how bad smoking is tell them "I know. Thanks." and carry on as a free individual responsible for your own well being.

Just remember guys, only individuals profit from liberty, not governments or corporations. They will snatch it and direct your will at every turn.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Nah it's not a self-destructive tendency, more like "Get me the fuck out of here who are these freaks".
    edited July 2010
    Nah it's not a self-destructive tendency, more like "Get me the fuck out of here who are these freaks".

There's a lot of data that says otherwise...
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    In a way I don't think it matters. However ime smokers I know are a lot smarter, even funnier, cynical. Am I the only one who sees this? It could be the complete opposite too I don't know. I walked into the smoke shop the other day and I completely changed my mind, nothing but ghetto tards. But on the same note I can think of many darkies who don't smoke, have like 6 kids (same age as me) , and they're infinitely dumber. I'm just confusing myself lol
  • edited July 2010
    The confusing factor is that smoking, I think, has not been established as being

1. Caused by anything mental.
    2. Causing anything mental

So far, we've noticed they move together, but I'd bet damn good money there are muddling factors that give rise to the confusion expressed by thatsMYdog.
    edited July 2010

I don't wanna be rude but...don't be a dumbass.

Smoking is obviously more prevalent among the lower class. Ya know whats also more prevalent among the lower class? Lower IQ scores. And is it a far stretch to say that a dumber person will more easily fall into addiction? Thus dumber people more easily become more intense smokers. Correlation does not imply causation my friend.

Nowhere in either of those studies does it say that smoking CAUSES a drop in IQ.

From the first article:
    "The findings suggest that lower IQ individuals are more likely to choose to smoke, rather than that smoking makes people less intelligent, Weiser and his team conclude."

Second article:
    "People on the lower end of the average IQ tend to display poorer overall decision-making skills when it comes to their health," says Prof. Weiser.
  • edited July 2010
    ^Indeed, truthwielder, indeed.
    edited July 2010

Smoking is obviously more prevalent among the lower class.

lol I guess. which is kinda fucked up considering how expensive a habit it is...
  • edited July 2010
    ^indeed, rizzo, indeed
    edited July 2010
    Oh true didn't think of that
  • edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    :tosses that idea out:

Plenty more where that came from :)
  • edited July 2010
    lulz, I love this place.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a lot of data that says otherwise...

Self-destructive tendencies are hard to come by in day to day life. I was saying people who smoke are trying to get away from the squares who don't, because at this point they know it's one of the few things that'll get those knobs to piss off.
  • edited July 2010
    ^? Error?