Wikileaks Releases "Afghan War Diary"

DaranDaran Semo-Regulars
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
NPR wrote:
Leaks Provide Ground-Level Account Of Afghan War
by The Associated Press

Some 90,000 leaked U.S. military records posted online Sunday amount to a blow-by-blow account of six years of the Afghanistan war, including unreported incidents of Afghan civilian killings as well as covert operations against Taliban figures.

The online whistle-blower WikiLeaks posted the documents on its website Sunday. The New York Times, London's Guardian newspaper and the German weekly Der Spiegel were given early access to the documents.

The White House condemned the document disclosure, saying it "put the lives of Americans and our partners at risk."

In a statement, White House national security adviser Gen. Jim Jones took pains to point out that the documents describe a period from January 2004 to December 2009, during the administration of President George W. Bush.

That was before "President Obama announced a new strategy with a substantial increase in resources for Afghanistan, and increased focus on al-Qaida and Taliban safe havens in Pakistan, precisely because of the grave situation that had developed over several years," Jones said.

The documents include detailed descriptions of raids carried about by a secretive U.S. special operations unit called Task Force 373 against what U.S. officials considered high-value insurgent and terrorist targets. Some of the raids resulted in unintended killings of Afghan civilians, according to the documentation.

It has been known for years that U.S. special operations forces target al-Qaida and other terrorist figures inside Afghanistan. The documents provided to WikiLeaks reveal an unusual level of detail about the classified operations.

Among those listed as being killed by the secretive unit was Shah Agha, described by the Guardian as an intelligence officer for an IED cell, who was killed with four other men in June 2009. Another was a Libyan fighter, Abu Laith al-Libi, described in the documents as a senior al-Qaida military commander. Al-Libi was said to be based across the border in Mir Ali, Pakistan, and was running al-Qaida training camps in North Waziristan, a region along the Afghan border where U.S. officials have said numerous senior al-Qaida leaders were believed to be hiding.

The operation against al-Libi, in June 2007, resulted in a death tally that one U.S. military document said include six enemy fighters and seven noncombatants — all children.

The Guardian reported that more than 2,000 senior figures from the Taliban and al-Qaida are on a "kill or capture" list, known as JPEL, the Joint Prioritized Effects List. It was from this list that Task Force 373 selected its targets.

The New York Times said the documents — including classified cables and assessments between military officers and diplomats — also describe U.S. fears that ally Pakistan's intelligence service was actually aiding the Afghan insurgency.

According to the Times, the documents suggest Pakistan "allows representatives of its spy service to meet directly with the Taliban in secret strategy sessions to organize networks of militant groups that fight against American soldiers in Afghanistan, and even hatch plots to assassinate Afghan leaders."

The Guardian, however, interpreted the documents differently, saying they "fail to provide a convincing smoking gun" for complicity between the Pakistan intelligence services and the Taliban.

Jones on Sunday lauded a deeper partnership between the U.S. and Pakistan, saying, "Counterterrorism cooperation has led to significant blows against al-Qaida's leadership." Still, he called on Pakistan to continue its "strategic shift against insurgent groups."

Der Spiegel, meanwhile, reported that the records show Afghan security officers as helpless victims of Taliban attacks.

The magazine said the documents show a growing threat in the north, where German troops are stationed.

The classified documents are largely what's called "raw intelligence" — reports from junior officers in the field that analysts use to advise policymakers, rather than any high-level government documents that state U.S. government policy.

While the documents provide a glimpse of a world the public rarely sees, the overall picture they portray is already familiar to most Americans. U.S. officials have already publicly denounced Pakistani officials' cooperation with some insurgents, like the Haqqani network in Pakistan's tribal areas.

The success of U.S. special operating forces teams at taking out Taliban targets has been publicly lauded by U.S. military and intelligence officials. And just-resigned Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who was leading the Afghan war effort, made protecting Afghan civilians one of the hallmarks of his command, complaining that too many Afghans had been accidentally killed by Western firepower.

WikiLeaks said the leaked documents "do not generally cover top-secret operations." The site also reported that it had "delayed the release of some 15,000 reports" as part of what it called "a harm minimization process demanded by our source," but said it may release the other documents after further review.

One U.S. official said the Obama administration had already told Pakistani and Afghan officials what to expect from the document release, in order to head off some of the more embarrassing revelations.

Another U.S. official said it may take days to comb through all the documents to see what they mean to the U.S. war effort and determine their potential damage to national security. That official added that the U.S. isn't certain who leaked the documents.

Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity to comment on the release of classified material.

U.S. government agencies have been bracing for the release of thousands more classified documents since the leak of a classified helicopter cockpit video of a 2007 firefight in Baghdad. That leak was blamed on a U.S. Army intelligence analyst working in Iraq.

Spc. Bradley Manning, 22, of Potomac, Md., was arrested in Iraq and charged earlier this month with multiple counts of mishandling and leaking classified data, after a former hacker turned him in. Manning had bragged to the hacker, Adrian Lamo, that he had downloaded 260,000 classified or sensitive State Department cables and transmitted them by computer to the website Wikileaks.org.

Lamo turned Manning in to U.S. authorities, saying he couldn't live with the thought that those released documents might get someone killed.

Source

Wikileaks' "Afghan War Diary"

Also, it's good to be home. ;)

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for this.

Man I wish I had an e-book reader. It will be a bitch to read it all. :(
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh shit +1

Good shit, can't wait to read that shit.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's about time Wikileaks released a new leak. No wonder they took so long. This is massive. Haven't read any yet, I'm at Uni. I'll try read a bit tonight
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    Theres a good few websites that have a kind of summary of the info:

Interactive site allows you to see main incidents mentioned in logs

Guardian is also running a live blog which shows reactions to the leak.
  • edited July 2010
    Has anyone seen this thing? It's pretty awesome. Basically, it seems to be a map with thousands of points on it, each representing and corresponding (respectively) to a battle or an event and a report of that battle or event.

It tells you how many enemies were killed, wounded, captured, etc. All sorts of cool info.

Also, Fox seems to be flipping their shit over this. They keep going on about how releasing this information puts our troops at serious risk and how the guy who runs the site is a criminal , should be arrested, etc.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's not just a map. Here's a dedicated web-page, though. http://wardiary.wikileaks.org/

It's seems easier to use than the download.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Great documentation.

It's freaking long though.
  • edited July 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Great documentation.

It's freaking long though.

It's fucking huge.

Who could get away with releasing 90,000 pages of military documents all at once though?
  • DaranDaran Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    This story has been picked up by virtually every news agency in the world, I knew this shit would be front page material.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a combative person. I like crushing bastards.

edited July 2010
    I'm a combative person. I like crushing bastards.

rofl. That's a genius quote
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    *Cough*

TL/DR
    edited July 2010
    Whoa

The storm of controversy raised by the accounts of alleged collusion between Pakistani intelligence and the Taliban in the war logs has resurrected one of the most vexed questions of the nine-year Afghan war: whose side is Pakistan (Dfg) on?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/26/afghanistan-war-logs-pakistan-military
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    lol, took you long enough to spot that hahahahhaa. I mean it's clear like night and day to me. You pay us Pakisani Government money and in return we fight with Taliban just to get more support. In the end we're on the winning side.

ITT: America got trolled.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    lol, took you long enough to spot that hahahahhaa. I mean it's clear like night and day to me. You pay us Pakisani Government money and in return we fight with Taliban just to get more support. In the end we're on the winning side.

ITT: America got trolled.

Thats fucked up i thought you were one of the good guys thank god wikileaks exposed your secret. Seriously though im not all that shocked at this development. I always had a feeling pakistan was playing both sides of this.
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited July 2010
    my dad helped kill the taliban. :) for the less terrorists but :( for the loss of life.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    We're not killing terrorists...we're creating them. Hurry up, Obama, and GTFO. You too, Cameron. Fucking have to wait until 2014 here in the UK (according to Liam Fox, anyway). Fucking getting paranoid here. I know some shit is gonna blow up soon.
    edited July 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    We're not killing terrorists...we're creating them. Hurry up, Obama, and GTFO. You too, Cameron. Fucking have to wait until 2014 here in the UK (according to Liam Fox, anyway). Fucking getting paranoid here. I know some shit is gonna blow up soon.

This after 9 years its about time to cut our losses and these leaked documents just show what a clusterfuck it really is over there. The tribal factor makes it so un winnable in Afghanistan.
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited July 2010
    This after 9 years its about time to cut our losses and these leaked documents just show what a clusterfuck it really is over there. The tribal factor makes it so un winnable in Afghanistan.

you are a smart man.
    edited August 2010
    Ive merged the afghan war diary and dfg supports the taliban threads since there about the same subject.
  • edited August 2010
    Thats fucked up i thought you were one of the good guys thank god wikileaks exposed your secret. Seriously though im not all that shocked at this development. I always had a feeling pakistan was playing both sides of this.

Not to say that you do, but Americans in general seem to forget that the rest of the world doesn't function based on what's good for America. They do have their own interests to worry about.
    Ive merged the afghan war diary and dfg supports the taliban threads since there about the same subject.

Aiight nigga.

This is true.
    edited August 2010
    Not to say that you do, but Americans in general seem to forget that the rest of the world doesn't function based on what's good for America. They do have their own interests to worry about.

Aiight nigga.

This is true.

That's a valid point I was mainly commenting on dfg's support of the Taliban In all seriousness though what people are forgetting is these documents are raw data we dont know the full extent of what america knows about Pakistan loyalty. Im not gonna say for sure Pakistan supports the Taliban based on what wikileaks chose to show. In the end the US shouldn't even be meddling with middle eastern affairs. As you know from our debate on Arizona I'm fairly conservative but I think bush created an unwinnable clusterfuck over there that Obama's continuing.
    keep in mind we still haven't a clue where bin laden is and were now also getting on Iran's case. I think its ignorant how so many Americans are taking these documents at complete face value.

Also now it looks like this is pretty bad these got leaked in the first place because it turns out t gave the names of afghan informants and if they get killed because of this thats pretty fucked up.
  • edited August 2010

Also now it looks like this is pretty bad these got leaked in the first place because it turns out t gave the names of afghan informants and if they get killed because of this thats pretty fucked up.

Like the Taliban don't know who's working with the Americans and who isn't? Hell, half of our informants are probably Taliban feeding us bullshit information.
    keep in mind we still haven't a clue where bin laden is

And we never will, LOL